In-Match Ranking

CancerManCancerMan USA Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216434Members
edited May 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Issue: Pace of game can make it difficult to quickly identify important helpful players, even more-so on the losing team as a skilled player may not stand out as much when they are getting triple teamed all the time. Pressing Tab is fine but in a 20-man server in the heat of battle, this is a very inefficient way of making quick decisions.

Result: While this is a team game, many people will volunteer to help with tasks that may be better suited for someone else. Example, 2 players boldly push a res node but the better aimer builds while the other covers. Result? They both die. It is beneficial to know who should take what role. This isn't meant to establish RULES, but rather etiquette and team synergy.

Suggestion: Create in-game badges that appear next to the player's name once they reach predetermined scorelines for different tasks. These are earned simply by playing the game, much like steam's achievements, but these reset each game and are designed for you easily identify the skill level of the players around you as you move through the map.
  • 3 Classes to rank up
  1. Marksman (1 point per frag, .5 for assist)
  2. Demolition (Structure damage)
  3. Support (Structures built 1pt, 20hp armor welded/healed 1pt, parasite .5pt)
These are things all players should be doing, and doing so will earn a badge. The badge appears next to your health bar/name. It's important that it is displayed in game and not in the tab menu where it won't really help you. Practical example, 2 players have welders on opposite sides of the room. Do you run to the Support badge or the unranked for a heal? Another example, you're commanding and low on res, 2 players need a health pack in a critical spot. Silver marksman or bronze demolition (res node shooter)?
  • Bronze, Silver, Gold badges
  1. Marksman Bronze = 10 frags (or 9 frags 2 assists
  2. Marksman Silver = 25 frags
  3. Marksman Gold = 50
Predetermined scores allow all players to earn badges, rather than the top frag hogging gold. It is possible to have more than 1 good shooter on your team, and by end game there should be quite a few golds and silvers.

I haven't worked out the actual values for the other 2 stats, but I think that is for the devs/community to agree on.

Let me know what you think. Remember, my goal isn't to create roles, but reward helpful players with badges, the most helpful players earning all 3 badges. Everyone loves badges.

(Original Steam discussion here, only 4 posts: http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/357285398693806011/)

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for sharing this idea with us. I personally really like it and it kinda fits into one of my next task (https://trello.com/c/r5AJbddW/245-player-encouragement-system).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Why haven't we thought of this sooner? This seems like a great idea - it would make decision making a lot easier and clearer.

And maybe if the devs don't implement it, this could be a mod?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't dislike the idea. But one unfortunate phenomenon that I have noticed among commanders. Is that some will only med people that they know, no matter what.

That fade you were soloing only had like 50 hp left and you were spamming the key through the whole thing? No medpack for you.

You are solo defending an entire lane with 3 rts on it? No medpack for you, even after you win your engagements.

That guy who is soloing 5-6 aliens in their hive? In other words, an area where there is nothing to gain. Give him 15 medpacks, cus why not?

A lot of commanders don't really look at when or where it is a good time to invest in meds, but rather who you should invest them in. If people have these badges, wouldn't we be encouraging that?

And look, I get it. The rookie who is lucky to hit one or two bullets per clip.. You're not helping the team much by healing him. But a lot of, namable and otherwise noteworthy, commanders, refuse to med veterans of the game in pubs as well. And it's sort of one of those, chicken or egg, scenarios. Did your guy get all his kills because you medded him? Or did he get meds because he got all the kills. Often times I see it is the former.

And that means your commander can basically help you farm badges in-game, and because you have all the badges, you will get all the meds, and because you have all the meds, you get all the badges and all the meds.

Maybe there are ways to solve this. Perhaps give the commanders an 'equality' badge? (lmao)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I don't dislike the idea. But one unfortunate phenomenon that I have noticed among commanders. Is that some will only med people that they know, no matter what.

That fade you were soloing only had like 50 hp left and you were spamming the key through the whole thing? No medpack for you.

You are solo defending an entire lane with 3 rts on it? No medpack for you, even after you win your engagements.

That guy who is soloing 5-6 aliens in their hive? In other words, an area where there is nothing to gain. Give him 15 medpacks, cus why not?

A lot of commanders don't really look at when or where it is a good time to invest in meds, but rather who you should invest them in. If people have these badges, wouldn't we be encouraging that?

And look, I get it. The rookie who is lucky to hit one or two bullets per clip.. You're not helping the team much by healing him. But a lot of, namable and otherwise noteworthy, commanders, refuse to med veterans of the game in pubs as well. And it's sort of one of those, chicken or egg, scenarios. Did your guy get all his kills because you medded him? Or did he get meds because he got all the kills. Often times I see it is the former.

And that means your commander can basically help you farm badges in-game, and because you have all the badges, you will get all the meds, and because you have all the meds, you get all the badges and all the meds.

Maybe there are ways to solve this. Perhaps give the commanders an 'equality' badge? (lmao)

Bad commanders will always be bad commanders, but this change would allow me to turn from a good commander into an even better commander. Commander.
  • CancerManCancerMan USA Join Date: 2016-05-06 Member: 216434Members
    edited May 2016
    SantaClaws wrote: »

Bad commanders will always be bad commanders, but this change would allow me to turn from a good commander into an even better commander. Commander.

I see your point in this, Santa, but like F0rdPerfect mentions above, it's sort of an exploitation that questions the etiquette of the comm. At least if you were earning frags or supporting badges, it is shoved in the commander's face, and you can justify complaining about the lack of support.

Also, these badges are meant to reset each game. The player doesn't earn special items or things they can take with them into the next game, which I think eliminates the notion badge-farming. There's no incentive outside of a morsel of vanity for 30 minutes.

And above all else, the comm can completely ignore badges all together, there's no requirement for them to change their gameplay. It should only make a difference when it counts; in a pinch. I was thinking that it will have more effect on player's behavior in the field than the commander's. If you see a Gold decorated exosuit player taking heavy damage, you will instinctively want to weld and defend them over an undecorated exosuit. It's not that the other exo doesn't matter, but the flow of resources and support will change slightly and become more efficient. A total noob with a welder becomes a more useful asset, and they get a support badge reward. Double whammy.
  • borsdyborsdy Respawning again Join Date: 2013-09-20 Member: 188366Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Damn, you're reckless

wRUjOwr.jpg
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love the Ida personally, aslong as the badges disappear at the start of a new round I can't see how this could go wrong, have you of names for the aliens side yet?