Update 297: Shadow Fade Released!

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited May 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

The room was eerily silent, even the normal white noise of the industrial facility seemed to vanish. I proceeded forward as ordered but something felt uneasy and I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck begin to stand up. I continue to tell myself that I am a trained soldier and that I’ve encountered enough alien scum that nothing should surprise me, but still the unease raced across my body and the fear set in even more than before.
Suddenly I hear an all too familiar sound, one that can only be described as vacuumous vortex that death so quickly follows. I stand at the ready, shotgun in hand as I prepare for the Fade that I …

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    FINALLY!

Some gameplay/balance shakeup! Just what we need to survive, love the grenade changes! Minigun damage change makes me sad but in a good way!
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    FINALLY!

Some gameplay/balance shakeup! Just what we need to survive, love the grenade changes! Minigun damage change makes me sad but in a good way!

only the beginning...
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Sigh. Grinding phase gates are going to be even more of a pain now.
    Interesting build, I like some changes and dislike some too.

But one change is completely terrible and absolutely a no-go: Enemy health bars. It is part of the game that you do not know how many damage other players dealt to that player, unless they tell you.

Play the game for a bare minimum of 48 hours then come back and re-assess if the change has affected gameplay for better or worse, it's only fair that you give an unbiased opinion first.

So you have to play for 1/10th of the time Nordic has on hive? Wow.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter

But one change is completely terrible and absolutely a no-go: Enemy health bars. It is part of the game that you do not know how many damage other players dealt to that player, unless they tell you.

Play the game for a bare minimum of 48 hours then come back and re-assess if the change has affected gameplay for better or worse, it's only fair that you give an unbiased opinion first.

I don't understand the logic behind that since the changes are listed in the change log, so everyone knows what it does. They show enemy HP what is exactly the terrible thing.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aeglos wrote: »

Yup, no need to be hasty in criticising a change just yet, hence BARE MINIMUM ideally you'd want a week.

Yup, no need to be hasty in criticising a change just yet, hence BARE MINIMUM ideally you'd want a week.

Okay. A week sounds reasonable. 48 hours isn't.
    edited May 2016

B A R E M I N I M U M

Glad to see the removal of single exosuits, they were practically useless and alot of rookies tend to buy singles instead of saving resources and waiting for the doubly effective dual exosuits. Nice change.

B A R E M I N I M U M

Glad to see the removal of single exosuits, they were practically useless and alot of rookies tend to buy singles instead of saving resources and waiting for the doubly effective dual exosuits. Nice change.

I'm not sure you realise how long 48 hours of game time is.

B A R E M I N I M U M

I'm not sure you realise how long 48 hours of game time is.

Not sure where you found 48 hours of game time in my post, I'm looking but I still can't find it? Nope, can't see it.

2 days, couple of days, that does not mean 48 hours of solid non-stop gameplay.

No need to overanalyze everything at face value @Aeglos :wink:

Here you go.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2016
    Is it really important what "bare minimum" means at this point? Lol guys. It is no that hard to understand what Yojimbo is saying.
    edited May 2016

Here you go.

I was going to write a well laid out, quoted counter troll, then I realised you are just not worth it to be honest lol.

I should use you for bait next time I go fishing!

Moving swiftly on, was the ability to enter exosuit whilst being equipped with a jetpack always been around? I've never thought to buy an exo and a jetpack at the same time to be honest.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Moving swiftly on, was the ability to enter exosuit whilst being equipped with a jetpack always been around? I've never thought to buy an exo and a jetpack at the same time to be honest.

Yes, but with the eject delay that used to be in, it was a very bad idea.... and you used to eject with 0 fuel instead of 25.
    remi wrote: »

Yes, but with the eject delay that used to be in, it was a very bad idea.... and you used to eject with 0 fuel instead of 25.

Oh so this is a boost instead of a nerf, ok ok lol.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Two things I don't like about this update: Removal of single gun exo suits ( :( ) and the health bar thingy, although I'll have to take a look at ingame.

Otherwise, great update, can't wait to play it.
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    FINALLY!

only the beginning...

I have high hopes in you now.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The FBX workflow now allows for bones to be declared as attach_points in the model_compile file
    <3 thanks biege for this one and the unit scale issue.
  • ghostdlrghostdlr Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205950Members
    When is the shadow gorge going to be available in store ?:D
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Not a fan of enemy health bars being available in combat in any game, but I (having not played this patch at all btw) don't think it fits in NS at all.

Baiting enemies in because your health is low is a big factor in the little details of taking advantageous fights as alien. This doesn't compare to damage numbers since you don't actually know what the exact health is.

Also don't get the rupture change. Now we have drifters, rupture and cyst spam all performing a function that only the skulk should really excel at and helps players be useful regardless of what stage of the game is it. Three cheers for forever trying to shoehorn the alien commander into relevancy.

I didn't actually mind rupture. It was useful enough in big hectic fights. The sound was obvious enough that marines never felt cheated by it and in a big fight have to choose between looking away or shooting aliens. Maybe the activation time was too long. Or the majority of people just forget its there or didn't use it properly.

Grenade changes are good. I like that. Still there was never any need to have 3 of them. But this makes buying the nerve gas worthwhile.

Shadow fade bone mask is sick.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Wow this was a big patch, great job! Many of these changes have been needed for some time (exo, grenades, and tweaking power surge specifically).
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    There is an incompatibility with the enemy health bars and the NS2+ option for server-side blood hits.
    If you have server-side blood enabled you won't see health bars for any hitscan weapons.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There is an incompatibility with the enemy health bars and the NS2+ option for server-side blood hits.
    If you have server-side blood enabled you won't see health bars for any hitscan weapons.

That bug is so... Random :D How the heck did that happen, I mean how are the health bars related to server side blood?
    edited May 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »

That bug is so... Random :D How the heck did that happen, I mean how are the health bars related to server side blood?

The function to "mark" an enemy gets called on the client during the predicted hit for hitscan weapons (so that it feels responsive). The server-side blood function short-circuits that prediction if you have the option enabled, so the function never gets called. Other weapons like spit, grenades, etc are only run on the server, so with those the server actually tells the client "ok mark this enemy now", which is why those ones still show.

The wonderful world of NS2 modding . :)
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members

It's totally worth using even on an RT. :)
    devel wrote: »

It's totally worth using even on an RT. :)

Which only makes it worse.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited May 2016
    I'm pretty afraid of the power surge change making res-defense far too easy for marines. Now I don't have to kill a skulk, I just need to get him below 50 hp, and that's far too easy.

What's RT kill time for a skulk from full hp? Can't the skulk get hit by 2 power surges in that time such that he literally can't kill an RT without regen or carapace?

Phase gates are a concern too, but the res game is majorly effected here.

edit: Happy to see balance changes and I hope this one works out better than I'm thinking, it's not particularly cheap as it is so
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016