Optimization

orthatonorthaton United States Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216331Members
Hello, Subnautica Team!

I would like to mention that the time I got to spend on this game has been phenomenal! I went off to college and roughly 75% of my time on social media was spent keeping up with the updates, streamers, and discussions. I was highly anticipating coming back and playing one of my favorite survival games once again, just as I had during December 2015.

However, come May 3, 2016, I began a game of Subnautica, or rather, tried to begin one. Unfortunately, the minimum requirements had changed. Getting through the cinematic was simple, going through the introduction was smooth, but 5 seconds into diving, my game froze. I was highly disappointed.

I understand there is only so much that can be done about this, but this legitimately ruined week. I also understand that this is simply because my computer can't run it anymore, however, I know that optimization can help improve the number of computers that can run games dramatically (see: ARK survival evolved, League of Legends, Starcraft 2 ... etc). With this in mind, optimization can help with:

1. Financial Profit: More people who have been recommended this game will be able to play it on basic computers.
2. Expansion: More players will be able to recommend the game since their fps will be higher, giving them a more enjoyable experience.
3. My own selfish gaming: This will help me to enjoy the game that I would love to stick with as long as it runs its course.

In conclusion, I would like to emphasize again that this game lands in my top 5 favorite video games and I highly recommended it to anyone who can run it.

Thank you!

Comments

• VesperVesper North, to Alaska! Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211748Members
    I certainly feel your pain, being in a similar boat (no pun intended). As it stands my strategy is either waiting for a PS4 release or upgrading my current PC. As I'm planning an expensive move in the near future neither option is appealing and I for one would appreciate the game optimized if/when feasible.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Vesper wrote: »
    I certainly feel your pain, being in a similar boat (no pun intended). As it stands my strategy is either waiting for a PS4 release or upgrading my current PC. As I'm planning an expensive move in the near future neither option is appealing and I for one would appreciate the game optimized if/when feasible.

My travelmate b pro didn't have the minimal requirements for gpu when i first played it, but it didn't get the lag spikes every 5 seconds and random driver crashes (where the game is frozen on screen but still playing sounds/ moving in the background) that I get now.

Some optimisation would be lovely, thanks.
  • BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    For information only

I have I7-4770k - 16Go - GTX 760

i can play at 50fps ... some little lags sometimes ... my game had never crashed ...

have fun guys
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    The thing is, optimisation changes to the code makes the code less flexible and harder to work with and can potentially cause more bugs. And currently they are still adding features to the game constantly, meaning having to either rewrite certain parts or add things, so the code has to be as flexible as possible.

Right now is not the time to do huge optimisation projects to the game, that is best left to when the game has most if not all features. Then the true optimisation can start.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Yeah, they'll do that final 'polish' prior to the v1.0 release.