Machinery update(April) WHY?The change is too big!!

gondamxxxxgondamxxxx Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215514Members
you can see trello
https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap
This is the roadmap in early.
m8sqnvkylbrj.jpgyfipq5hr3qmt.jpg
This is the roadmap now.
kqsogftq6cpj.jpg
The change is too big!!Where is Creatures attack?

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I'm a little confused as well; at least with how the post/thread is worded... Seems things got shuffled around a bit and that was a bad thing I guess?
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    You can (and should) read the first post on that trello board (roadmap). It says "READ INSIDE THEN YOU HAVE THE PERMISSION TO SAY ANYTHING".

Of course the changes are big and that is natural in the process of creating. I myself am producing music and yes, as you create, sometimes everything changes. "NOTHING IS SET IN STONE" says the trello.

I don't know if this is answer as your question is not clear, but I hope it answers at least something.
  • gondamxxxxgondamxxxx Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215514Members
    Sorry, but what exactly is your point? I can hardly understand what you're trying to say.
    "Creatures attack" moved to June plan, that I just saw, before I thought directly is cancelled.
  • Space_JesusSpace_Jesus Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182732Members
    Can someone please explain what was said?
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Maybe their first language isn't English? I think the gist is they want creatures to attack their base. In April. But plans changed.

I could only suggest building your base somewhere with a lot of predators. You might get lucky and some might glitch through your walls and try to eat your face while you're walking around.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    That's all harmless. Only changes in plans. Like life. Unavoidable.

More serious is Trello roadmap marking things as finished before they actually are finished. Then it get's delayed, like always with programming when things don't go so well. And we get this:
    Ability to quit to Main Menu done (since 23. March ? - but still not inside!)
    This is as dangerous as forging a historic document backwards in time, though it was no aim, just being too optimistic and recording in advance. People looking at Trello in a year will see that the roadmap was perfect in time. Even so it wasn't. Maybe in a year we'll see that the game who might have finished on Xmas is still labelled as finished in August. I'd hate to see that.
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    Creatures attack was postponed, instead they put in the intro update and the Oculus updates. What`s missing in the new machinery update consider being cut :-(
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    The only relevant information in Trello is the doing and done sections of Subnautica Development. Everything in the Roadmap is subject to change. The advantage of Trello is that it allows us to see the development process and what features the devs want to add to the game. However, features can either require too much work or impossible with the current game.

There is far too many times in game development where the devs of that game decided to be very vocal at the beginning about what they are currently working on, but become more cautious due to players calling the devs liars due to some feature being delayed or scrapped in development.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Some people clearly don't get the concept of Early Access game...
  • After_MidnightAfter_Midnight Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215890Members
    Victor32 wrote: »
    Some people clearly don't get the concept of Early Access game...

But Early Access should never be an excuse for everything....
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    But Early Access should never be an excuse for everything....
    Well, I'd say it's a perfectly valid excuse for everything. Things get cut for a multitude of reasons we have no idea about, we only see the end result - a dry trello note about a feature that was removed. I bet my morning coffee that stuff doesn't get shuffled out just because someone's lazy or in a bad mood, and then excused under generic EA label. We really have no idea about the inner workings of game development, the issues the devs encounter, choices they have to make considering the game mechanics, timeline, budget. If something was planned, researched, designed, and didn't make it, there had to be an actual serious reason behind it, and until the game is officially published, the devs are within all rights to do that precisely because it's early access.
    Of course. The devs can do what they want with this game. But not everybody will be happy with it...
  • zallonzallon germany Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215351Members
    You never will be able to make everyone happy.
    The best thing we can do as the players and tester is help them.
    Talking, suggesting and giving feedback is the best way to help the game go into the right direction :)
    edited April 2016
    I've lost the hope that feedback of the community will change anything at the roadmap of the development at the moment of the announcement of an ETA and the console release. Also the comment of Obraxis gave me confirmation in my opinion. Of course just my opinion. They devs cut alot of things for this. For me to much things...
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    There have been EA failures where the devs just marked the game as released. That's also a way to keep a timeline.

Here 2 features already marked as finsished, but not in the game at this time:
    Main menu isn't there
    Aurora expansion isn't there

It's not the devs purpose to mark unfinished things as finished, but devs from other game companies have marked EA games as released and abondoned them afterwards. I hope UWE is aware of that. I'm still a fan of them, but I don't like this kind of policy.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    I've lost the hope that feedback of the community will change anything at the roadmap of the development at the moment of the announcement of an ETA and the console release. Also the comment of Obraxis gave me confirmation in my opinion. Of course just my opinion. They devs cut alot of things for this. For me to much things...
    I'm sure they have a pretty good reason.
    zetachron wrote: »
    There have been EA failures where the devs just marked the game as released. That's also a way to keep a timeline.

Main menu isn't there

It's not the devs purpose to mark unfinished things as finished, but devs from other game companies have marked EA games as released and abondoned them afterwards. I hope UWE is aware of that. I'm still a fan of them, but I don't like this kind of policy.

Just came across this with StarForge on Steam. They might screw their current customers by releasing a game in Alpha as a finished product, but an Overwhelmingly Negative rating and the customers' review will keep most potential customers away from their game and potentially other future games. If a company has a reputation of releasing Early Access games as the full game, then it is hard to overcome that negative reputation.

Just can't use the EA abbreviation for Early Access due to Electronic Arts. In fact, your post would work for both Early Access and Electronic Arts games.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    Just came across this with StarForge on Steam. They might screw their current customers by releasing a game in Alpha as a finished product, but an Overwhelmingly Negative rating and the customers' review will keep most potential customers away from their game and potentially other future games. If a company has a reputation of releasing Early Access games as the full game, then it is hard to overcome that negative reputation.

StarForge devs released another game "Reign of Kings" afterwards that was mildly popular for awhile. Unfortunately one alpha game that immediately jumped to Release without being finished is apparently not enough to permanently tarnish a companies reputation.
    bwc153 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »

StarForge devs released another game "Reign of Kings" afterwards that was mildly popular for awhile. Unfortunately one alpha game that immediately jumped to Release without being finished is apparently not enough to permanently tarnish a companies reputation.

Perhaps not, but setting up a reputation for releasing Early Access games as the full game requires multiple examples. All that really can be said on Reign of Kings is that it is very likely to end up the same as StarForge. Instead of continually fixing the game until it is in a decent state, their devs will likely jump to a new project when they become bored with it.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    zetachron wrote: »

Main menu isn't there

We are pretty far along in development at this point - IMVHO features need to be frozen and it would be hard for any dev to incorporate many changes.

Also, just because it is finished doesn't mean one should expect it to be in the experimental build. Things could go months from being finished to being integrated for testing purposes!