Netcode broken again

MyxMyx Russia Join Date: 2013-12-20 Member: 190356Members
Hi guys. Fixing my last problem, after first CDT patch, took 1.5 years. Fortunately you have recognized that problem wasn't on my side, and I thank you that you fixed it, so I can continiue to play this great game.
But after a the latest patches I meet new problem, and I definitely think that this is a new bugs in the network code of the game. I found it on certain servers. Here is video:

I think no need to explain that something strange happens. This is only part of the problems that I encountered. Many other strange things are also happens. I hope this information is enough to understand the problem.
@CRaZyCAT_Rus have similar problems on this server.
Link to log.txt: https://yadi.sk/i/03jC4ZzKpZ97u

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    this is from a public server, right? also how are you connected to the internet? shared connection, university, home ISP?
  • MyxMyx Russia Join Date: 2013-12-20 Member: 190356Members
    no, it's a ensl server. ISP fibre connection.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does it appear on other servers aswell? (Like a plain one without special mods)
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    Out of curiosity, what's the ethernet card model? What are the settings of the card? What's the router model? What's the windows version?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Can you confirm that the only way you can reproduce this is by swapping back and forth in spectator modes quickly?
    NovoRei wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the ethernet card model? What are the settings of the card? What's the router model? What's the windows version?
    Realtek 8111F-VB-CG, 1 x Gigabit LAN, built into motherboard. Router TP-Link WR1043ND, DD-WRT firmware. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Does it appear on other servers aswell? (Like a plain one without special mods)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Can you confirm that the only way you can reproduce this is by swapping back and forth in spectator modes quickly?
    Unfortunately I can't reproduce this clearly as it was before. Now everything works better, but something strange is still going on.
    That was before: I connecting to the server, trying to type "spectate" into console, nothing happens. No matter how much I tried, nothing happened. If I manually walk in the spectate room, I instantly became a spectator without problems. I was able to watch the match, everything went smoothly, without warps, but I couldnt type anything in a chat, when I sending a message, nothing happened. I also can not go back to the ready room by pressing F4 or menu. If I switched to spectator mode from the first person, I coulnd't go back to the view from top of the map or switch player. Also if I became commander, I couldn't log out from the chair. I pressed "Log out" button, but nothing happened. I could see the map, could see how players run and shoot, but couldn't log out.
    I didn't test any other servers, because I don't played much. I just found this problem on ENSL Dean0 servers, but everything was wonderful on another ENSL server.
    That I see now: Dean0 server works ok now, but if I trying to "swapping back and forth in spectator modes", how IronHorse told, I saw red plug and this message in console:
    [189.670] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.770] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.770] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.807] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.807] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.826] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.826] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.851] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.851] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.863] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.863] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.875] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.876] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.876] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.888] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.889] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    [189.901] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 430 more than 31 > base snapshot 207
    It was the same on another server, not ENSL, which I tested just now. But I don't see that really strange troubles which happened before.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Well thats good news I guess..

Were you ever able to reproduce these symptoms on a typical pub server?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Well thats good news I guess..

Were you ever able to reproduce these symptoms on a typical pub server?

I posted in the server disccusion/technical thread about this (?) i still get these from time to time too, wonder if they're related somehow.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140574/problems-since-latest-patch#latest
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    Myx wrote: »
    NovoRei wrote: »

Realtek 8111F-VB-CG, 1 x Gigabit LAN, built into motherboard. Router TP-Link WR1043ND, DD-WRT firmware. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Test the following. Set to disabled all the network card settings (flow control, offload options, etc) and change your network speed to 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.

45vbm55j8olr.png
    This does not apply to this topic, but I wanna to say, that I could spectate first-peson in illusions :D I don't know, bug is it or feature.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Myx wrote: »
    This does not apply to this topic, but I wanna to say, that I could spectate first-peson in illusions :D I don't know, bug is it or feature.

It's a bug, it was not a showstopper during our RC build, but we're working on it.
    edited April 2016
    Problem still exist. I tried everything that NovoRei writed, it doesn't help.
    I noticed this issues:
    -randomly don't work j1 j2 spectate console commands.
    -can't buy any weapoin in armory and prototype lab.
    -can't evolve any lifeform and take any upgrade.
    -can't cyst as commander, can't drop structures, can't logout, even by console command.

This happens mostly on Dean0 server, but randomly, sometimes everything ok, sometimes i have abovementioned issues. But game except this things game process seems fine.

UPD: can't send any message into text chat as well
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i also have issue using certain console commands. for example, I can't bind 'say'.

bind D say dicks
    bind D "say dicks"

neither work. if I manually type "say dicks" in console, it works fine.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are you running any snake-oil security/personal firewall software on your computer that may tamper with network packets?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't know of any specific change that would have triggered that. I will get back you once I test this locally and on the servers. Is this on every server, @turtsmcgurt ?
    i also have issue using certain console commands. for example, I can't bind 'say'.

bind D say dicks
    bind D "say dicks"

neither work. if I manually type "say dicks" in console, it works fine.

This is intentional.
    I once brought this up to a dev long ago and they said they saw no reason to allow a method to spam. (since developing protections against continued spam was already difficult enough)
    edited April 2016
    i've figured out my issue. if I bind "say" in a local server, I can not use the bind until I join somewhere else.

i didn't test binding in a local server then starting another local server, only local -> online. otherwise 'bind say' works just as expected.
    edited April 2016
    Probably this problem is pretty old. I found this topic: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135694/bugs-with-chat-lifeforms-and-so-on
    Which mentions absolutely same problems as mine.
    And I totally don't understand, if problem on my side (or ISP), how it possible that SOME actions doesnt work (buying weapons, evolving, some console commands etc), but all other works fine. I can run, shoot, kill, build. ISP blocking some UDP packets, which have some marker? But why other servers works good? I noticed this bug only on ENSL Dean0's servers. What is more, sometimes it works fine, sometimes not.

PS: I don't use any firewall or antivirus software.
    i've figured out my issue. if I bind "say" in a local server, I can not use the bind until I join somewhere else.

i didn't test binding in a local server then starting another local server, only local -> online. otherwise 'bind say' works just as expected.

Dammit. that needs to be removed.

@Myx What hardware are you using? Router, modem switch etc?

• HandschuuhHandschuuh Germany Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216233Members
    edited May 2016
    Hi, there...

I seem to have the exact same problem like shown in the Video... I was playing gather yesterday and on the Server I somehow couldnt Buy / Evolve do requests whatever... on Public Servers it seems fine and without further testing on most other password protected servers... but the issue stands that on the "DE Comp #1 | Palaven by Deano" I get sometimes when I join the Message "Steam authentification failed" ... when not I can join ... immediately after I joined I can write something in to chat... shortly after that I can do almost nothing... no buying/evolving/messaging/ joining teams/spectate via bind didnt work... (only walking to the joiningpoints in the readyroom) ... I also couldnt logout from the CC .... I also had the issue on another pub which I dont remember...

So there is defininetly something going on

About my connection... For this I used LTE from my Phone via USB tethering and this issue suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

I also have a UMTS Connection (which is a little bit slow for onlinegaming where I dont have this issue at all...)

What I've tried so far... Checking ns2 file integrity, deleting appdata folder, deactivating antivir/firewall - no change

Well thats all for now

Sounds like someone needs to contact that server operator.
  • Dean0Dean0 Germany Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208253Members
    hi,

i know of that problem but i cant imagine how to fix this since only russians, not only myx, have this problem. i told him to write here.
    my server installation is a standard installation like any other steamserver through steamcmd, same mods as other ensl servers, even changed OS from windows server to ubuntu server in the meanwhile.
    this cant be a network issue, since there is only one port for incomming gametraffic on serverside..
    only thing i can imagine, and i already told him, is to disable the russian.dll mod... fun aside, i have no idea why only they have this problem.
    Hmmm.. It's got to be a routing issue then?
    Handschuuh isn't russian, he from Germany, so it's not only russian problem. Or maybe he got somewhere russian.dll...
    routing would cause either late packets or no packets/packetloss.. but they are on the server, connection is established. there must be another problem, a guess is that something goes wrong with the clientmessages, not like they messed up till they reach, more like the server not accepting it.

any suggestions how to point out the problem? maybe a plog? any command on the adminconsole?
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    First off, what is this russian.dll? I have not heard of this. If the game is being modified, then it is _not_ safe to assume it is functioning as intended.

Secondly, if you can get both the server and client into a "vanilla" state, then please type
    net_log -1

in the console _before_ joining a server. Again, this is only useful if the game is in a default-state. Also, you can add the
    -debug

to the exe/bin startup parameter(s). Once these options have been run, with an unmodified client/server, then feel free to post the logs here and I'll take a look at them.
    the russian.dll is a joke... :# ok, we will try that.