Game crashes 1 second after entering ready room

KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
Im running NS2 through Steam on Ubuntu 15.10

here are the last few lines in the console:

[248.831] Worker 05 : Loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
Loading pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_docking.level
Couldn't find pathing mesh file maps/ns2_docking.level-client.tile_cache_grid, building it now ...
Finished loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
Client : 0.000000 : INFO: LuaJIT setup: maxtrace=9,000, maxmcode=16,000
Loading took 178.711021517 seconds
Client connected (127.0.0.1)
Client Authed. Steam ID: 0
Client Authed. Steam ID: 0
Kisle connected.
trying to log NSPlayer (2) into CommandStation
ERROR: Client tried to request marine variant they do not have yet

I would appreciate your help.
Greetings
Mark

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What are your system specs?
    Are you able to make a backtrace when it crashes?
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    Im not sure what you mean with "backtrace" ? The game just closes instantly.

My specs:

Software:
    Kubuntu 15.10
    KDE-Plasma:5.4.2
    Kernel:4.2.0-27-generic 64 bit

Hardware:
    4x IntelCore i5-320M CPU@2.60GH
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3904
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 27
    Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 3000
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: i915

Hmm i think my laptop has 2 graphic cards, i am not sure if natural selection is using the better nvidia card, how can i check this ?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    In console (button left to "1", I think) it should tell you what graphics card is used in the first few lines. What are your graphics cards, how much RAM do you have?
    This is the output of the console, when entering the main menu:

Steam initialized
    [INVENTORY] Granting Promo Items
    Num displays: 1
    OpenGL 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.2 initialized (Intel Open Source Technology Center Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2)
    GLSL version 3.30
    ARB_texture_storage extension present
    ARB_get_program_binary extension present
    Sound Device: default stereo
    Record Device: default
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 285
    Steam Id: 7027530

I have 8gb RAM.

Hmm i noticed that i have the same kind of weird behaviour in Team Fortress 2, so I guess this error is not related to NS2 ... Other steam games like borderlands work just fine.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    Apparently you only have the integrated Intel graphics card recognized / installed / available. You might want to look into that direction (like drivers etc.) if you know you have another graphics card installed. Not sure if NS2 supports Intel integrated. It might not have enough GPU dedicated memory.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see you are using intel hd graphics? Is that intentional or do you have a dedicated gpu that is not being used.

The minimum requirements for the game include 1GB of Vram. Make sure that your system has at least 1GB dedicated to the GPU. You can set this in your bios. You have 8GB system memory so you should be fine if you dedicate 1GB to the GPU.
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    the integrated intel gpu might be to weak or not enough vram assigned to but you should fix that 'ERROR: Client tried to request marine variant they do not have yet' first guess it's something about having customized ur player with a skin you might later have sold in the community market or still are selling. remember items listed in the market will be removed from your inventory for that time.
    try customizing your player before joining any game and use the default skin.
    Okay thanks guys for your help. I also have a dedicated Nvidia GPU. So i guess im missing some decent drivers to get it to work.
  • ZenLibraZenLibra positivevibrations@mighty.co.za Join Date: 2016-02-19 Member: 213205Members
    edited February 2016
    Hi, can anyone who has advanced info. (as I have read ALL the threads I could find) re. the game crashing join the thread.

Redonkilous to what extremes I have gone thus far. But seriously want this game working.. Please help

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2270963#Comment_2270963
    So i just installed a new nvidia driver and did some tweaks in nvidia-settings. Now when i look into the console the proper dedicated nvidia card is selected. The game runs like a charm now :) thanks
    Kisle wrote: »
    So i just installed a new nvidia driver and did some tweaks in nvidia-settings. Now when i look into the console the proper dedicated nvidia card is selected. The game runs like a charm now :) thanks

Don't forget to enable the other games - especially those you had trouble with - in the Nvidia settings.