Tundra Update Released - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageTundra Update Released - Natural Selection 2

The Tundra Skin Bundle is now exclusively avaible at the new in-game item store. Furthermore all players are now able to trade their skins via Steam.

Read the full story here

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    I think i lost count of how many times i read (might fix gun jams) :D
    2016 migh just be a good year! *Fingers Crossed*
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think, everyone should be able to trade what he bought. Be it BlackArmor or whatever (price would skyrocket). However buying a brand new one not ofc.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited February 2016
    I'm really glad to have more weapon skins and not just models, thanks rant <3

And nice detail move here: Commander dropped equipment will be of the commander’s selected variant

I'm very against tournament win items, unless the game really jumps off with thousands of players. You're basically just choosing 20 people who might get the item then, and that's lame. There's no skill distribution between teams in the game at this point. Once the tournament is a real tournament I can see the value.

Tournament participation, such as watching the official NS2 twitch stream during a major event on the other hand, that's cool as hell! @Yaluzan make them do dis
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Is BlackArmor tradable now then? I rarely use it 8-)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Give me your ideas for items! Who wants a goatee? Hipster glasses? Purple bile?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    remi wrote: »
    Give me your ideas for items! Who wants a goatee? Hipster glasses? Purple bile?

During a discussion with @remi he has agree to make a paintball mode for us!

Lets cheer @remi on and get this fun game mode implemented for us! Awesome us to get the ball rolling :smiley:

edited February 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    During a discussion with @remi he has agree to make a paintball mode for us!

Haha, this is a lie. But I do love the brainstorming (and we could do paint decals...)!
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Is the memory limitation issue resolved? I thought that was the major roadblock to more skins or am I misunderstanding things?
    edited February 2016
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Is the memory limitation issue resolved? I thought that was the major roadblock to more skins or am I misunderstanding things?

We're still working on it. In the playtests we didn't see any issues with the addition of the Tundra pack but we are still close to that line. Definitely let us know if you run into any problems with it.

In terms of adding more: there are a lot of avenues we can pursue to free up memory and push more stuff in. Obby has been doing good work with texture optimizations which didn't go in on this patch, but would more than balance out the additional memory cost of the Tundra textures. There are also tons of items we could make which would be far less memory intensive than total model re-skins, as well as engine changes to ensure we're not using more memory than we need to be for the skins.

Eventually, if all else fails, we could work on switching the game to 64 bit... but that is likely a several month endeavor, not just a quick toggle of some build parameter.
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    This whole memory issue thing seems oddly familiar...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want to highlight, that receiving tradable items (atleast Tundra) happens inside the Costumization Menu by "Opening the Bundle" popup.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I'll sell my black armor for the market value of my student loans
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Bugs. There is this illegal mip something something spamming my console. And my skins seem to keep resetting maybe every time I reset NS2. Not game breaking but annoying.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    One way of fixing memory and gameplay problems would be to have an option (or at least console command) to disable models so that all the models switch to the default one.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    the illegal mip mesasge has been around for a couple of builds now. I guess it is related to trees, as it occurs for me on kodiak menu, as well as any maps with trees in.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    RadimaX wrote: »
    I think i lost count of how many times i read (might fix gun jams) :D
    2016 migh just be a good year! *Fingers Crossed*

If a bug is persistent enough, it becomes a feature :trollface:
    Regnareb wrote: »
    One way of fixing memory and gameplay problems would be to have an option (or at least console command) to disable models so that all the models switch to the default one.

No one's paying for anything that other people aren't forced to look at.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    All the shadow tier reinforced stuff is on the market for over $300 right now. Wow.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wow indeed!

I'll still prob buy this even though I hide view models. Enjoy my money!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Interesting update, great work @rantology on the skins. Some feedback to consider:

1) I don't think pre-order black armor should be trade-able. If anything it should be upgraded to distinguish itself more from these new armors (shiny gold trim might be a nice touch).
    Add an exo/rifle/shotgun skin just for pre-order black armors.

2) Give a discount for those that buy a skin pack at full price, so if they purchase a future set it will always be 50% off or something.

3) If this DLC skin test is successful, consider adding a few structure related skin packs for commanders. If a player buys the "commander pack" then his comm chair has a neat custom skin while he is in the chair. Apply the nanoshield vfx while it changes the skin. The same would go if he went for alien commander. Maybe the hive changes to a more red and menacing skin when he's inside it. Medpacks/ammo have a related skin, while drifters match the theme of the main hive.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Interesting update, great work @rantology on the skins. Some feedback to consider:

1) I don't think pre-order black armor should be trade-able. If anything it should be upgraded to distinguish itself more from these new armors (shiny gold trim might be a nice touch).

I've been playing since the beginning of workshop with my black plated FPS viewmodels, however the world models are just the default ones T_T

I agree, this would be awesome!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016

DPwigaYl.png

Bling bling?
    The bees!
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    But why not be avaible to trade the black armour? Motivate! I just don't see any reason why not
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    I dont get why steam wont let me sell of my shadow gorge for liquor and loose women.
    edit: hmm cant sell stuff older then 1 year, is that it?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loki wrote: »
    I would also like to add derelict had some map changes

New vent from garage to alley + offices
    New vent from botany to plaza bridge
    new los blocking object in turbines
    some los blocking objects in alley to block window sniping
    more cover in plaza

however these vents do not appear on the minimap as it as not updated :D

Is that all the derelict b277 changes?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited February 2016

Bling bling?
    The bees!

That's pretty good but the color should be less yellow (a little more reddish in it), and maybe have a 'shiny' shader on it.

I'm thinking more of this color:

http://theartmad.com/wp-content/uploads/Metallic-Gold-Color-Background-01.jpg

• LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • navazkanavazka Join Date: 2015-12-08 Member: 209825Members
    Hello, do I understand correctly that I can sell any of those items on the market at any time, even after I use them in game for some time?

Also, do you actually receive some percentage from the market transactions? Because I usually buy cosmetic items to support game devs. If you had no benefit from market transactions, that would be good to know.

And lastly, is it possible to include multiple images for a single item in your item store? Because for example for rifle and shotgun skins, the artworks is nice, but I'd like to see how it looks inside the game, from player's POV. Could you add such screenshots?