Lag problems with g-sync and v-sync

RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
Hello guys,

when i enable g-sync or v-sync in the game my aiming goes really bad. i went from 23% without any sync to 8% with g-sync or v-sync. Why is that so? I tested a lot and realised that g-sync and v-sync give the mouse movement a little input lag. without the sync my mouse movement feels quicker and i feel more response from it. Does anybody know a fix or has similar problems?

thanks for your help

Comments

• HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    First off you need to know what V-Sync is. We allready discussed this in another Thread. So I just quote what I said there:
    Hoeloe wrote: »
    I use it because my GPU is sending much more FPS (about 80-100 FPS) than my monitor (60hz) can handle. That means my picture starts tearing, something like this:
    The monitor is allready recieving new pictures before he finished drawing the first one.
    Tearing2-650.png

Thats why i use V-Sync. this means, the GPU don't send a new picture to my monitor until the monitor finished drawing the last one, so i don't have any tearing.
    Buffering set to x2 means you GPU is sending one picture to draw and one to calculate by GPU. When the first picture is drawed it will swap to the bufferd one. Because this swap is not synced too tearing can still apear.
    With set to 3x you can buffer 3 pictures. One to draw on monitor, one waiting to be sent to the monitor and one that can be calculated by the GPU. This way you don't have any tearing but all this results in a little inputlag.

Because the tearing distract me verry much (feels like my screen get splitted in half, it really looks like the picture) i use V-Sync and accept this little inputlag.

If you are playing with less FPS than your monitor has Hz you shoud turn V-Sync off because it also cost performance. This means, if you play on 60Hz with 50 FPS you will loose aboute 5-10FPS because you turned V-Sync on. Stupid but the only thing you have right now until you get GSync or FreeSync.

So generally V-Syncs ends up with input lag on youre monitor.

But G-Sync is something different, it actually tells the screen how much FPS your GPU is sending and is completly Synced with it. But you need to have a G-Sync compatible screen. And I also don't know if NS2 would need to support G-Sync enginewise.

Btw: In the meantime i stopped playing with V-Sync, since (I don't know why) my tearing problem is almost gone. And if you want to have the best possible aim, you need the most recent frame on your screen. So you should turn V-Sync off and only use G-Sync when youre screen supports it.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While I have not had time to test with the latest build due to it being released well.. today, I in fact have been using g-sync for quite a while now.

VSYNC
    * v-sync locks you to your monitor refresh rate.
    * creates input lag.
    * Removes tearing.

GSYNC
    * Locks you to your fps. So 89fps? 89Hz
    * No input lag. Im serious, its not there.
    * No tearing
    * IF you breach your monitors hz you have a problem. My monitor goes to 144hz. So if I breach 144fps then gsync can not sync with the monitor anymore. It will then either go 'normal' so no g-sync or v-sync, OR go v-sync. This preference can be setup in the driver.

Without more info its quite hard for me to understand what your poblem is. You sure you are in gsync and not hitting any limits? Techsupport.zip would help.
    g-sync works fine in ns2. (I never tried windowed g-sync in ns2 which needs to be enabled manually in the driver. I use fullscreen g-sync)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    With G-sync I try to remember to limit my maxfps to 130 so it doesnt approach 144. I cant really tell the difference, but ive seen some benchmarks showing small input lag as you approach your monitor's limit.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Thats due to the default being on vsync ON after you breach monitor max refresh rate.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe its because i am using a 4k monitor. In 1080p the problem is not noticable. With the Acer XB281HK i am forced to run at 60HZ with Displayport, but that should not be the problem. Even at 4k I am at 90-100 fps without vsync. So with g-sync i am hanging at 60 hz constantly. maybe its a problem in my head with g-sync, i need more testing.
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here's your problem: Acer XB281HK. Why anyone would want a machine capable of 200fps in NS2, then limit themselves to a 60hz led, gsync or not, is beyond me.

You'll invariably feel the effects of input lag even with gsync. For me, I don't really notice it when I'm above 100-110fps. I personally stay above that most all game with 120-144fps. For anyone with a 144hz gsync monitor, if you artificially cap your game at 60fps with gsync enabled, you'll see what I mean about input lag. So don't let anyone tell you that gsync doesn't exhibit input lag...it's there, especially at 60hz/60fps. I run the Acer XB270H 27" 144hz at 1080p and it's fine. To make it clear, the XB270H is a gsync monitor at 144hz. When I'm gsync'd, my framerate stays at 143.01-144fps. My fps doesn't move until late game when I'll drop to no less than 100fps. Mind you, 100hz/100fps feels much better that 60hz/60fps in terms of input lag.

You have three options.

1. Sell your Acer for the 1080p 144hz version and no more than a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor. (PC's/GPU's still aren't up to 4k gaming and sustaining 144+ fps IMO.)

2. Drop your resolution to 1440p/preferably 1080p and game without any vsync. This will help with input lag, however you're still gaming at 60hz, so it's still there and there's no way around it...it's a double edged sword and you might as well use a basic 60hz led.

3. Sell it.

People will pay good money for it. You will be very happy picking up a 27" 144hz gsync. BTW, I tried the Acer XB270HU 27" IPS 144hz and the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 144hz, both 1440P. Both are great monitors, HOWEVER, 1440p will suck your fps and that's not something you want when trying to sustain 144fps at all times. The Acer XB270H 27" 144hz, 1080p model allows you to play at higher framerates to enjoy 144hz gsync'd play for longer periods, especially in NS2.

PC SPECS:
    i7-4790K @ 4.6ghz
    GTX980 +200 core +400 mem
    Phanteks PH-TC12DX Red
    2133mhz CL9 Corsair
    Case: Corsair C70 green
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2
    Red Silverstone Tek Sleeved cables
    Acer XB270H 144hz Gsync
    Benq XL2420TE 144hz monitor
    Benq GW2760HS
    Corsair Gaming RGB K70 Keyboard
    Corsair Sabre RGB mouse
    Corsair M65 RGB mouse
    Artisan Zero XSoft large mousepad - Red
    Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Headset / Soundbaster Z audio
    NS2 mouse settings: Sensitivity 1 in-game, 1200dpi Marine, 2000dpi Alien
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow

* IF you breach your monitors hz you have a problem. My monitor goes to 144hz. So if I breach 144fps then gsync can not sync with the monitor anymore. It will then either go 'normal' so no g-sync or v-sync, OR go v-sync. This preference can be setup in the driver

With gsync enabled, you'll notice vsync is enabled in the nVidia control panel as well . This is by design so that you're framerate is limited to no more than 144fps. So basically, the traditional vsync function caps your framerate at no more than 144fps where gsync operates, 30-144fps. So you really can't go beyond your monitor's 144hz refresh rate.
    edited February 2016
    Do you know why developers made a 60hz gsync monitor? I have no freaking clue...but let me speculate. 1. Sales. 2. Folks who play Witcher 3 can be happy with tear-free, stutter-free 60hz/60fps gameplay. But look what game I chose as an example. Are you making quick 180's to precisely track a skulk or lerk with your shotgun in Witcher 3? Nope. It's a "lazy game." Even games like Evolve can be played at 60hz/60fps on a beautiful 28" 60hz Acer gsync monitor. Evolve doesn't require "snap movements" or tracking of small targets in 3d space such as NS2. (The monster's hitbox is like 5 Onos's. lol)

...So, you don't notice the mouse input lag with those games or at least it's not as critical to the game. Those games are awesome with a smooth 60fps "gsync'd" 60hz monitor. They're even more awesome gsync's at 144hz and sustaining 144fps the whole time.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I solved the problem with getting back to 1080p and disabeling any Sync. Thanks for your advice but i dont want to sell the monitor because i wanted a 4k monitor for videos and other games. And with 4k you always get the 60 Hz lock. I fully understand that 144Hz is way smoother and better for games like NS2, but one single game is not a reason for my to buy an extra monitor for.

And gsync is imo very helpful, especially in 4k. With g-Sync 40 Hz feel like 60Hz and that is very helpful in games with lower fps
    Thats what I said? There is a option to enable or disable gsync and its on vsync by default.

Also the input lag isnt technicly due to gsync but the 'running on 60hz' thing. (or windowed if youd run in that)

I fully agree a 60hz g-sync monitor is madness
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Rammler wrote: »
    because i wanted a 4k monitor for videos and other games.

Tangential question : Why?

4k gaming performance just isn't really there yet.. and I can't think of a game that adequately is designed for 4k, either?
    Just seems like you are taking a crazy performance hit just to say you are using 4k?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »

4k gaming performance just isn't really there yet.. and I can't think of a game that adequately is designed for 4k, either?
    Just seems like you are taking a crazy performance hit just to say you are using 4k?

People use 4k to get outstanding visual experience. I mean I could ask you the same: Why don't you play in 640x400 to get better performance?

People use 4k to get outstanding visual experience. I mean I could ask you the same: Why don't you play in 640x400 to get better performance?

Exactly.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2016
    Uhhh.. Because the game has textures that you'd be missing out on with 640 res, when it can utilize 1080p without being upscaled and with nominal performance? You'd be missing out on a lot with 640..
    The same can't be said with using 4k vs 1080p in most games

Anyways, my comment was a bit derailing, so I'll leave it at that.
    ...but one single game is not a reason for my to buy an extra monitor for.

;) Actually, depending on how much you love the game, it can be. lol.

I think folks are missing the whole point of the discussion. Besides, if you want a visual experience, then why watch stuff on a crappy 28" monitor and not a 75" 4k and stream your video library?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think we should judge him for his choices. I think they are perfectly valid.

I was going to get a 1440p IPS screen, but changed my mind and got a 144hz lightboost monitor just for Ns2.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue