My Journal of a Playthrough

MerivoMerivo United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212466Members
I'm not anywhere near to competing with the Aurora Falls story, but I felt like writing a journal for my character amidst doing my next playthrough. It's not finished, this particular playthrough is still early days, but I hope you enjoy :)

Firstly, Game Settings:

0.2 daynightspeed
nitrogen on
farplane 2000
fov 80

I decided to mess with the game settings a bit and found some that I rather like. The day-night speed makes each day and night much much longer. It also makes fabricating items take 5 times as long (lol?), which is more realistic anyway as far as I'm concerned. It has compelled me to make multiple fabricators. Anyway, the journal. You could kinda read it as an audio-log, it would probably make more sense that way. Each paragraph is a new entry so you know..

- Day 1

Escape pod's power is working thank god. Communications is down however, I'll need to find materials. Lots of materials. I've had a quick look around, the ocean's sealife here is vibrant, and primitive, which means food shouldn't be too hard to come by..

So, I tried cooking one of the local fish, it kind of resembles a boomerang, with teeth, anyway... uhm, I vomited. Thank god for taste neutralisation. I don't know now whether to save my last nutrient block for a rainy day or eat it now as a sort of pick-me-up.. heh, I could use one.

TODO List:
Hook up a scanner for identifying minerals in rocks and nutritional value in the local fauna. Done
Make a knife for self-defence and cutting, well, things like.. I'm sure I'll need it. Done
Make a diving suit. It will keep me from getting pneumonia, I think. Done
Make an oxygen tank so I can breathe underwater. Having to hold my breath so much is making me dizzy. Done

Uhh, todo: make a more concise todo list next time..

Found some fragments of a Seamoth. I remember those, handy little submersibles... The scanner's able to read these pieces in and generate a blueprint, clever bastard; only problem is the fragments are scattered all over the place, it's going to take me a while to complete the schematic.

I've just noticed there's a blueprint in the escape pod for a SeaGlide, that'll come in handy for getting back and forth quickly. I think I recall it has a headlight fixture as well; to save resources I'll go straight for that rather than making a flashlight. I hope the day is long enough for me to gather the materials for this, or it's going to be a pretty long night..

Back in the escape pod again. I managed to build a SeaGlide and make a spare battery, and it's still not yet sunset. Maybe I'll build a quick base and set some more fabricators going, I'm spending a lot of time waiting around for this one to do its thing.

TODO List:
Make a habitat tool. Done
Build a base and wire up a couple solar panels. Done
Make some new fabricators. Done

Built a quick base using the habitat tool. A main room and a hatch to get into it, nothing special. Built 2 more fabricators and a locker inside to store materials. At least now I don't have to put up with a smoking pod while trying to get some sleep. Night's approaching. I might use the SeaGlide's torch to look for some more Seamoth fragments, or maybe I'll just hit the sack now. Oh right, a bed, I'll need one of those..

- Night 1

Night's doing ok I guess, sleeping is a no go, but I kind of expected that. Hearing constant creaking and groaning outside making me feel like the base is gonna breach any moment, I'm freezing cold and having flashbacks of the crash everytime I close my eyes; not conducive to a good night's sleep. I think I'll go look for those fragments after all.

The ocean at night, is a fair bit more creepy than it is during the day. I err, encountered a shark-like predator that seems to bury itself in the sand to hunt its prey without being noticed. I'm gonna have to be careful where I step in future, I think I've got a phobia of sand now.. On the bright side, I might have a complete Seamoth blueprint already! Took me a while to find all the pieces, but I didn't have much else to do during the night. There is one problem I'm encountering though, A couple solar panels do not provide enough power to last the night. I had to go back to my smokey escape pod to make up some disinfected water, so yeah, I'll need to make a couple more panels tomorrow. Oh yeah, combining salt and some of the coral down here makes for a thirst-quenching beverage. I'm glad the scanner knows what it's doing, I'd have never guessed it myself.

- Day 2

Sunrise, it's pretty, but I'd appreciate it more if it wasn't so damn cold, and windy, and did I mention cold? I hope this habatit gizmo knows what a heater is.. So, what else. Oh yeah, Seamoth.. right.

TODO List:
Fit a couple more solar panels. Done
Fit a heater to the base. Failed
Make a mobile vehicle bay. Done
Make a Seamoth. Done
Make a MoonPool to charge it from. Failed

Who came up with the habitat must-haves for this piece of crap? No heaters? Are you kidding me?! Well I saw a thermal gas pocket nearby somewhere, maybe I'll just roast my feet over that.

S***. S***.. the Aurora just blew up.. S***.. I hope things are still salvageable over there.. I was counting on that to get out of here, and now? I don't know.. I guess it may still have some way to communicate home, right? I'm not a technician I don't know about this stuff. I'm starting to think I picked the wrong profession.. Maybe I should check it out, cautiously. Yeah once I've figured out how to make a rad-suit, I don't want to know what a radioactive meltdown feels like.

Apparently there's no Moonpool blueprint on this thing.. Maybe there'll be some fragments somewhere I can scan.. possibly? Unlikely.. I'm gonna go make a spare power cell..

The Seamoth wasn't too hard to find the materials for, now that I've scanned everything, all the elements are here, somewhere. The mobile vehicle bay's fabricating it now.

Man this thing is FUN! If I didn't know I was gonna die alone out here, I'd be buzzing.. Well, I'm still buzzing but, eh I should get back to fixing up my base and figuring out a way off this place.. I need to focus.

So uhm, I just found out this Seamoth offers some great protection against Stalkers. I'm seeing a few scratches on it but nothing serious.. I think sooner or later it's gonna spring a leak though, I'll have to make a welder..

TODO List:
Make a welder.
Make a laser cutter. Failed
Find moonpool fragments.
Make a rad-suit, somehow..
Make the base more homely.

I didn't know laser cutters needed a diamond to do the.. laser bit. Bummer. Well, if I find any, I'll uhh, collect it. Where the **** am I gonna find diamond? I.. I need to drill for it right? An underwater drilling rig, yeah, that could work. Now where'd I put that vehicle bay?

No drilling rig in the bay's schematics, damn. I'll have to go searching for some I guess. Caught a Peeper while I was at it though, will make a decent lunch I suppose.

Went exploring and found a fragment which looks like it could be quite useful, some schematics here about modifying oxygen tanks to increase their capacity. This neck of the ocean is pretty dangerous though. It's swarming with sand-sharks, little annoying biters and my suit's radiation warning cropped up something major nearby a wreck. I'm gonna have to figure out how to make a rad-suit... I think some of the other fragments are past the wreck, but I can't reach it.

Back home, been reading this 300 page manual.. looks like I'll need lead plate and fibre mesh to build a makeshift rad-suit. I'll get right on it.

TODO List:
Gather materials to make a rad-suit. Done
Make a rad-suit. Done
Make a laser cutter. Done
Find modification station fragments.
Find moonpool fragments.

- Night 2

Ok, so I've done a lot since my last entry. Got my rad-suit on, went back to the wreck. Looks like I'll be needing that laser-cutter after all, there's a sealed door in the wreck, I'm betting there's something useful inside. I couldn't find any more fragments of that - I'm gonna call it a modification station. I'll keep searching.

Good news! To the left of the wreck is a creep forest and beyond that a drop into some underwater sand-dune like deal. Anyway, I found some diamond! At least, that's what the scanner's telling me, it sure looks like it. I also found a crystal called lithium, I took a few samples.. it could be useful, I'll have to check that manual back at base. This place freaks me out though, I've been hearing some pretty deep roars around this location, from something big. I haven't seen it yet, and I don't think I want to. Oh, and uhh, a material called magnetite. Looks less impressive than lithium, but again, it could be useful.

On my way back I took a slight detour, found what I can only describe as a giant.. underwater mushroom-tree forest. I'll have to come back to it, I have no more space to put anything. Note-to-self: It's beyond the wreck, to the right.

Back home, those damn biters got me bleeding all over, had to disinfect the wound and made myself some bandages out of fibre mesh. Oh, it turns out lithium is extremely useful, it can be used to make plasteel, which is a super-light alloy between lithium and titanium in this case. I don't need it right now, but I will. Oh, and since I found some diamond I can fabricate a laser cutter finally! ... Think I'll try getting some sleep again now, I'm pretty exhausted.

Still can't sleep, I.. feel sick, really sick. I don't know whether it's the cold or the food or, maybe those blood-sucking parasites did something to me but, I want to be out of this water. I need to find land..

- Day 3?

Ughh, my head is pounding. I.. don't remember how I got here, but I'm on land. I'm actually on land! I woke up lying on grass! I still feel sick though, and my head. I.. I'm bleeding again, I've got scratches on my arm. They're not claw marks, they're randomly placed.. I must have blacked out, and travelled all the way over here.. Looking around I can see what looks like an abandoned base.. How long have I been out? Is this mine? Did I build this? I can't have, it looks like it's been there for decades. I'm gonna go investigate.

So, I've identified the source of the scratches. This place is crawling with, 4 legged crab creatures, and they're carnivorous. The abandoned base had nothing much in it, no clue as to what it's doing here. I've taken samples of the local plantlife. There are some delicious hanging fruit here, the best meal I've had since the crash. Heh, I can tell where I walked from, I just have to follow the trail of dead crabs. Oh and, I found my knife in pieces on the ground, looks like I'm gonna have to make it home defenceless.. Lets see where I left my Seamoth.

I grounded my Seamoth on a small beach, I had to push it back into the water, while dodging crabs left right and centre. Better wake-up call than coffee I tell you. Looks like I completely drained it's power too, I'm glad I took a spare power cell with me. It's looking pretty beat up, I don't think I did a good job of driving the thing..

This.. island is floating. It's all water underneath, looks like some kind of giant jellyfish are keeping it suspended, like a massive version of the rock-floaters I've seen around. I'm gonna head back home, thankfully the Seamoth's receiver's still functional and I can see the escape pod beacon on the radar. Note-to-self: Beacon is North-East, so the floating island is South-West of the base.

So I planted the samples I took from the island, fingers crossed they grow. I found a disgusting dead fish in my inventory, it's looks like a translucent eye with 4 ligaments attached to the back. Scanner tells me it's a good meal for hydration, I'm not sure I believe that one.. Man the island is so far away, how on earth did I find it? I can't even see it from the base.. I'm still feeling pretty sick, and dizzy, I think I'll take it easy today.

I've just been doing some mining. Got some more copper and made another power cell. I keep thinking about that wreckage.. I really want to find out what's in that sealed room.. I think it's too deep for sunlight to penetrate, so maybe I'll go there during the night, for now, I'm gonna go rest.

God f****** damnit, why can't I sleep? I'm so exhausted.. the creaking is doing my head in. I'm gonna go read the manual in the Seamoth, somewhere where there's no current..

So, I think I may have found out why I've been feeling sick. Apparently exposure to radiation has sickness under side-effects. Must have started when I found that wreckage, I think the radiation there was worse than I realised.. Welded up my Seamoth, there was a crack in the plating but nothing major. Something's wrong with me though. I just got in and drove it right into my base's corridor. Had to quickly go seal the leak. I'm not ready to go searching a radioactive wreck, I feel like I might make a mistake in there and cut my oxygen supply or blackout again. I need to relax, I need to find a more relaxing place to rest. This place is doing my head in. Inside the base: Constant creaking. Outside the base: Constant clicking from chatterbox fauna. There's nowhere quiet, nowhere peaceful.. I hate this place.

Ohh, bliss. I found a spot, right up close to the surface of the water; soft sand, gentle currents, and warm from the sun.. I've taken off my gear and can lie under the surface, using a snorkel tube to breath. I'm gonna have a nap here...

To be continued..