NS2 is losing players now that the steam sale is over

SamdamanSamdaman USA Join Date: 2015-12-07 Member: 209802Members
steamcharts.com/app/4920#7d

ATM we are sitting at an average of 330 players. That is only enough people to fill 16 and a half, 20 slot servers.

What is taking UWE so long? What are they waiting for?

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    You'll be happy to know that there's another NS2 sale going on, problem solved. :tongue:
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    still +50% from september '15.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There have been many blog posts about how there will be things like fast iterative updates and how the big focus is on player retention. There have been weekly patches coming out for a few weeks now with content focused on player retention. There are plans listed in the trello for future patches, most of which focus on player retention.

As a community member I am thinking they are not waiting at all, and that it takes time to code things.
  • SamdamanSamdaman USA Join Date: 2015-12-07 Member: 209802Members
    edited February 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Samdaman wrote: »

What do you want us to do?

I want your boss to make the game free to play.

That's right, I said it, the dreaded F2P.
    You'll be happy to know that there's another NS2 sale going on, problem solved. :tongue:

That is amazing lol. I can't believe it just opened 2 hours ago. Hopefully we will get a new batch of players with the extra sale.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not convinced free2play will help that much right now, unless there are player retention features added in. If we went free2play tomorrow we would probably have the same growth and decline as we did for the holiday sales. UWE has stated numerous times they are working on player retention.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Obraxis wrote: »

What do you want us to do?

I want your boss to make the game free to play.

That's right, I said it, the dreaded F2P.

As free as SMNC? Perhaps instead like Tactical Intervention?

Or maybe you were thinking as free as DOTA2? Or maybe instead as TF2?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    The problems with player retention originate from the current NS2 gameplay. The steep learning curve is like a wall keeping people from playing NS2 longer than a just a while.
    We can think of some ways to mitigate this problem:

1) Help people over the wall
    2) Paint the wall nicely so that it's not that frustrating to sit in front of the wall
    3) Lower the wall

Most bits in the dev trello suggests either work on option 1) or 2), but imo for option 1) current plans are only giving a marginally small help. It will still take frustratingly long to overcome the hurdles and players mostly do no invest that much time these days. Option 2) is just a paint job.
    Many in the community that made it over the wall will vehemently disagree with anything that remotely has to do with option 3).

There's an exception in form of mods and alternative gamemodes. Though that train has halfway departed with NS2:Combat.

Edit: F2P or sales has more people running at the wall and there's hope that those people might stack upon each other but it also attracts a lot of zombies and in the end only a few will make it over with that method anyway.
    edited February 2016
    @Calego @Nordic @_INTER_

Like Dota 2 or Planetside 2. Obviously people can act like I am saying this is the fix to fix all issues, but it's not. However, an extremely small amount of people who play PC actually know NS2 exists. This game is unheard of in the majority PC gaming market.

This game is old as well, people tend to stay away from BUYING old, dying games(Small Community). Someone is more likely to install and try a game that is F2P than they are to buy the game and panic thinking about if they like it or not, or if they will get a refund. Remember, steam only lets you play for 2 hours before refunds are invalidated. In a game like NS2, 2 hours is not even enough time to learn how to heal with the gorge for newbies.

I am not saying suddenly going F2P will solve all the issues, but it makes it a hell of alot easier on US, the community, to get our friends to play with us and try and get them to stay.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Typical F2P games are super simple shooters with small maps, easy to understand gamemechanics and standard game modes like deathmatch.
    But people sill struggle to play these games.
    You have players there with laughable aim, kids crying about cheaters everywhere @ every death and overall really dumb players who cant learn these simple maps and gamemechanics.
    You dont believe me?
    This is me after 1 week in Warface (F2P Shooter from crytek. Horrible game btw)
    hitbox.tv/video/680738
    From there people called me "Hacker" in every fuckin round.
    The average skill from clanscene there is laughable.

Believe me, you dont want these players in NS2.
    Who cares about a low playerbase.
    Better low than every server filled with trolls and whining kids.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    No no no to f2p, this would bring in a huge influx of spammers, griefers and worst of all, cheaters. Nothing stopping them from simply creating a new account again after being banned as there is no financial cost.

No thanks, nope, nada , no senor!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Btw, this is only reflective of concurrent players. Steamspy has better numbers regarding players in 2 week time frames. We have a decent amount of players.

Compare to another fps game, released on steam during the same year as ns2, and actually is f2p.

http://steamcharts.com/app/17080

I think we're doing okay for now. And clearly f2p is not going to bring hordes of new players in.
    @2cough Did you just compare NS2 to Tribes: Ascend?? LOL!! Hollyyy shit this is hilarious.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's pretty clear there is no reasoning with you, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    I think I will quote matso here to make a point.
    matso wrote: »
    I find it useful to split player retention in two parts; The Bounce is how many new players "bounce off" after trying. The Leak is players that stops playing the game after a long time.

Some game have a low Bounce but a high Leak. You play it for a few weeks and then you get bored and stop.

NS2 have a brutal Bounce, but a fairly low Leak; those people who stays around long enough tends to stay for while.

Making ns2 free to play would not fix the bounce. It would only make it worse because you would have more going through at a time. Before ns2 could go free to play it would need to fix the bounce.
    I am still waiting for someone to actually prove to me that going F2P would be a bad idea. I am talking actual data and business sense though, Not this ERMAHGAWD the players will be spamming us and we will all DIEEE posts.

From what I am seeing on the trello I think the devs may already be heading in the F2P direction with all this development of steam trading and whatnot. The devs above got awfully quiet when i mentioned Free to play as well.

You all resent F2P but can anyone explain a way to really sell this game, given it's age and current player count, to the majority pc gaming market? Also when I say majority I am not saying DOTA levels of players but rather at least 2000+ players on average.

You could try and change a bunch of things in the game and then do a relaunch saying "Look at the shiny new game!" but I doubt that will work, given how little time the devs have.
    @Nordic At no point did I claim to fix the "Bounce" issue with the F2P idea. Ideally the best course of action would be to reduce bounce and then go F2P. I was stating above the side that Free to Play will not be the end of the world for NS2 and will actually help the community bring more friends in.

I am both a server owner and apart of a very large community and I have been trying for months now to get people to play. One of the problems I keep running into in inviting friends is they freak out over having to buy an expired game, like I said above people only have 2 hours to decide if they like this game.

Switching to F2P would solve this issue by letting people come and go as they please, if they enjoy the game, then they can buy cosmetic items to help fund the game.

I suppose I need to stress this again, going Free to Play does not fix all the issues. What it does fix though is the difficulty of entry. The easier it is for you and I to invite friends, the greater chance we have of getting them to play. Again, this doesn't fix the bounce issue, however if you couple this with a fix for players bouncing then you will see a large increase in player count, and, down the line, player quality.
    @Calego Well put, thank you for taking the time to write up your thoughts. I didn't consider the server infrastructure that would be needed, you are right, it would take quite a lot.
    That is such a mature response that is so rare in these situations. Awesome'd.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    @Calego Well put, thank you for taking the time to write up your thoughts. I didn't consider the server infrastructure that would be needed, you are right, it would take quite a lot.

I wanted to put a anti-most of those points at the end of my post, but I learned a long time ago not to contradict yourself within your own argument. So here's the Other side of that coin.

IF a system of matchmaking could be developed, even a rudimentary one that simply sorted people into hidden servers by default (i.e. ones that didn't show up in server browser), but kept the server browser communities alive and well, F2p becomes a lot more viable.

There are a lot of servers out there that are available. And IF UWE is willing to foot the bill on some quality servers around, with a clear way to report players on those servers (official servers are the most notoriously un-admined; read: hacker heaven), that problem disappears.

Training is being worked on. If Beige Alert's stretch goals of Lifeform-specific and advanced strategy tutorials became a thing, that's a super big step toward making rookies viable teammates.

Support team, idk cross your fingers and pray stuff doesn't break?

IF the economic pros and cons were weighed with F2p and UWE devoted time and resources toward making a "coolness factor" behind skin customization (which i'd argue would need to be more robust than simply whole skins), f2p becomes a lot more profitable. If you could convince the average player to spend say 10 bucks on customization, you're making more than if they had bought it in a sale. Tie in the steam market stuff (idk how funds there are split between Valve and Dev, but it's essentially printing money), and you're making alright earnings.

Community would need to be moderated. If not by officials on official servers then by the community itself. IIRC League has a way to report "toxic" players and if enough people report them independantly, there are repurcussions. A similar system of 'croudsourcing justice' could work in NS2. This feature would need to be made prominent.

And Ultimately, if enough revenue did come in from NS2 going f2p, there's nothing stopping UWE from devoting more talent to adding more stuff to NS2.

Altogether, if this was approached carefully and gradually (it is indeed arguable that the current direction of NS2 is moving towards a f2p+hats business model), and was done smart, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Just as long as the existing playerbase doesn't drown in a tide of green, everything would be ok. There's just a lot more that UWE would need to do to make f2p work. They've gotta judge interest accurately enough not to over-spend on servers (remember way back when there used to be like 5,000 UWE official servers?), but still have enough on call for the tide. They'll need to market the heck out of it again, or else no one will be playing and no one will be buying. And before all that, they've gotta set up all the pre-requisites.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @samdaman was I comparing ns2 too tribes? Only that they were released in the same year, and that the f2p model has not done shit for them, clearly. Instead of discounting it, you could just look at the numbers and see what I'm talking about.

You're an idiot if you think that I was comparing the gameplay of the 2 games.

Hope you get rekt out there :)
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sticky this, rename to F2P megathread plz.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I would be one of those vets who left the game of it went free to play...

The hacker problem wouldn't even be the worst of it. Even now with people buying the game we have rookies who refuse to listen or learn. New players who go command and ruin the game for 21 other people. And the occasional smurf account...

Make the game free and the number of deaf and dumb rookies ruining games would easily quadruple. I'd wager most vets who didn't leave would end up on smurf accounts since they'd be free and would open up access to rookie servers...

It might grow the community somewhat, but the overall quality of players in the community would hit rock bottom.. Finding a decent game would be virtually impossible. (It's already hard enough now)

Then of course you have the hackers. Free games attract them like a rotting corpse attracts flies. Which would in turn cause hackusations against legit players to skyrocket.. Especially when you consider all the game mechanics that look like hacking to a rookie.. (like the "wallhack" aura, or marines minimap)

A free NS2 would be absolute hell.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    never seen a forumthread starting out so shitty escalate into a mature discussion before.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Oh and smurfs..... Those are our biggest oppertunity to destroy this game and feature!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I would be one of those vets who left the game of it went free to play...

The hacker problem wouldn't even be the worst of it. Even now with people buying the game we have rookies who refuse to listen or learn. New players who go command and ruin the game for 21 other people. And the occasional smurf account...

Make the game free and the number of deaf and dumb rookies ruining games would easily quadruple. I'd wager most vets who didn't leave would end up on smurf accounts since they'd be free and would open up access to rookie servers...

It might grow the community somewhat, but the overall quality of players in the community would hit rock bottom.. Finding a decent game would be virtually impossible. (It's already hard enough now)

Then of course you have the hackers. Free games attract them like a rotting corpse attracts flies. Which would in turn cause hackusations against legit players to skyrocket.. Especially when you consider all the game mechanics that look like hacking to a rookie.. (like the "wallhack" aura, or marines minimap)

A free NS2 would be absolute hell.
    Except. If you had matchmaking as well. Or at the very least, some system of player segregation. Back when the hbz server was still up, you had pretty high quality games (at least in my opinion). I think rookies technically could join, at least in some iterations on that server - but they were actively discouraged. As long as you separate veterans from rookies, even if it's not perfectly efficient (perfect is the enemy of good), I think you will have good games. It does have the Price of the appearance of "elitism". But that's a small Price to pay for high quality games imo.

As for hackusations.. Why the hell do you care? I look at it this way. If the players think I'm cheating, I shouldn't play on that server anyway. It's hardly a challenge anyway. I just leave those servers, maybe with a sarcastic remark or if I'm in a good mood a genuine advice.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Just establish a zero tolerance mentality against the smurfs.
    These cancer are easy to spot by there positioning, accuracy and the way how they play.

If you spot these small minded players on your servers, just BAN them right away.

And all these:
    "Im only smurfing for some relaxed rounds because i want to play gorge" is just BULLSHIT.
    Its the same like:
    "I was only using a wallhack cause i want to catch a wallhacker and want to be sure"
    Great story.