Could use some help deciding on hardware/software setup for this game.

DeepStarSixDeepStarSix .au Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212523Members
Hi all,

I'm so taken with what I've see of this game that I'm going to buy a Windows box just to play it. Having said that, I know very little of Windows and hardware that would suit the game. I've read the recommended specs on Steam and have an idea of a computer that may suit, just want to know if anyone has had any conflicts with this particular setup and the game:

AMD Quad Core A8 7650K 3.8GHz 8GB RAM R7 Radeon Desktop PC
4K Ultra HD▲A88X▲DDR3▲SATA3▲USB3▲HDMI▲DVI▲Gigabit▲CR▲BT

I plan to install a GeForce GTX 750Ti on it.

From what I can see, it should do fine; but any feedback/suggestions are welcome.

The other question I have for the community is: Which version of Windows runs the game the best? 7,8,10 are the options I currently have. But can dig around for a different version if recommended.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited February 2016
    As for which is the best version of Windows to run the game on; you'll get different answers according to people's personal preferences. There is no "wrong or right" answer there. I prefer to use Windows 10 simply because it's what's on my computer and I have had no proplems with it. Others might prefer Windows 8.

I am currently saving up for a custom built computer which I plan to have by the end of the year. I want it to have the fastest and biggest CPU, the fastest and biggest GPU, the fastest RAM, and plenty of it, and a SSD. I even saw a CPU core with 16-cores!! I have no idea whether it's worth getting a 16-core over, say, an 8. Basically I want t a computer that just laughs in derision at even the most graphic heavy game. :smiley:
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @DeepStarSix are you going to be building it yourself, or upgrading a pre-built?

If you're building it yourself, post your approx budget and we can help pick parts that would run the game the best for your money. Otherwise, the spec you posted looks like a pre-built system. That spec (with the GeForce 750Ti) should be able to run the game on Recommended graphics settings. But be careful, some pre-built systems do not have a spare PCI-E slot or their PSU is not powerful enough for an external GPU. Important things to check before purchase.
  • DekstrisDekstris Poland Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212706Members
    i have a laptop and the game runs in 30 Fps :P But i will buy myself a GTX of some sort, becouse now i have the GeForce 840M Wich is shit for games couse it's olny 1GB :P i have 8GB ram too.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Dekstris wrote: »
    i have a laptop and the game runs in 30 Fps :P But i will buy myself a GTX of some sort, becouse now i have the GeForce 840M Wich is shit for games couse it's olny 1GB :P i have 8GB ram too.

Sorry to say but it's difficult to upgrade laptop GPUs, and in most cases it's not possible. Some high-end laptops will except an external GPU with housing, but it's pretty expensive.
  • DeepStarSixDeepStarSix .au Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212523Members
    Thanks guys. Yes it's a prebuilt. And they will upgrade the PSU to match the GPU, so no probs there (the GPU being bought from them as well). Gonna go with Win 10 then.

@Myrm wish I could afford to do that ;-)

Cheers for the feedback.
  • icecreamberniicecreamberni Austria Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212731Members
    You could probably save a bit of cash by going with a R7 360. Its as strong as the 750ti, but cheaper. But I recommend spending a bit more on a R7 370. About 30% stronger than the 750ti.
    The reason I went with the 750Ti is because that's what I use on my Linux box and am quite happy with it. But I'll give some thought to your comment. Cheers.
  • ScoreburgerScoreburger Canada Join Date: 2016-02-08 Member: 212780Members
    edited February 2016
    Hi all,

I'm so taken with what I've see of this game that I'm going to buy a Windows box just to play it. Having said that, I know very little of Windows and hardware that would suit the game. I've read the recommended specs on Steam and have an idea of a computer that may suit, just want to know if anyone has had any conflicts with this particular setup and the game:

AMD Quad Core A8 7650K 3.8GHz 8GB RAM R7 Radeon Desktop PC
    4K Ultra HD▲A88X▲DDR3▲SATA3▲USB3▲HDMI▲DVI▲Gigabit▲CR▲BT

I plan to install a GeForce GTX 750Ti on it.

From what I can see, it should do fine; but any feedback/suggestions are welcome.

The other question I have for the community is: Which version of Windows runs the game the best? 7,8,10 are the options I currently have. But can dig around for a different version if recommended.

Thanks for any input.

I'm using an 5 year old MSI GTX 680 Lightning Twin Frozer II, so a GTX 750Ti should be able to run it.

EDIT: You should be able to run it on max, since I can and my FPS stays at 60 the whole time.
  • chmegmachmegma Join Date: 2016-01-25 Member: 212062Members
    just an fyi, op, the second number in the card is as improtant as the first. the 750 is actually a little slower than the 680. here is a site that does a side by side

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-680.

it wouldn't hurt to save a bit and get at least a 780, so that it will last you a while.

• SamG2020SamG2020 Bristol UK | Vancouver Canada Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209449Members
    In your original post, you listed 4K Ultra HD. Is this your monitor's resolution? Or just a compatibility of the system? Just checking because gaming at 4K would be quite unpleasant on a GTX 750 Ti!
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll take it into consideration. Looking through that comparison now.

@ SamG2020 In all honesty I'm not certain, it was part of the listed specs for that computer (I haven't bought as yet).
  • MrappbrainMrappbrain United States Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213008Members
    My suggestion? Get a solid state drive. It greatly reduces Subnautica's huge load times.
  • DungchunkerDungchunker Fayetteville, AR Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213151Members
    Im running it on a Lenovo Idea Pad with GTX 660m 8gig Ram and i7 processor. I run it at 40fps on Max (experimental) settings. Ill get occasional stutters when the game is rendering assets when moving quickly across the map...but otherwise it runs really smooth. Im very impressed with this games level of optimization given its Early Access.
  • ZergonuzZergonuz USA Join Date: 2015-04-08 Member: 203114Members
    SamG2020 wrote: »
    In your original post, you listed 4K Ultra HD. Is this your monitor's resolution? Or just a compatibility of the system? Just checking because gaming at 4K would be quite unpleasant on a GTX 750 Ti!

This. It wouldn't be playable at all on a 4k monitor, at all. Might save money there. Even a wide-screen monitor would be very taxing on a GTX 750TI.

This video might help with purchasing a GTX 750TI.