Authentication failed error. Can't join servers/tutorial.

greycouncilgreycouncil Australia Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211700Members
Hey,

NS2 is giving the error "Authentication failed. If other multiplayer Steam games do not work either, then Steam could be down, or your firewall is blocking it." I am unable to join a server because it forces me to play the tutorial, which gives error above. Playing tutorial also gives same error.

Windows firewall is off, I use Privatefirewall (a program). I've given NS2 all access, have tried to run withfirewall completely off, and still the same error. Tried running ns2.exe as admin, same error.

I tried doing a complete uninstall of NS2 (including %appdata% folder, deleting all mods (after unsubscribing, deleting from workshop, deleting mod cache files, have steam cloud off, etc), still same error.

I can play other multiplayer games on steam, I'm not VAC banned.

Tech support file is attached.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    Welcome to the ns2 tech support.

We are aware of this issue and I worked at a patch:
    1. Download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_AoHvDBSRoDb0E1a1dnMk5mQ0E/view?usp=sharing
    2. Extract the zip into your NS2 install folder
    3. See if the tutorial works now and report back!

In case the patch does not work out have a look at the workaround I posted at http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139745/unkown-issue-with-game
  • greycouncilgreycouncil Australia Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211700Members
    i did the squad thing in console and was able to go through the training. haven't tried joining a server yet, trying to figure out why fps is locked to 60, and why mouse isn't being captured by the game :S turning right results in mouse going to my second monitor, and so when i shoot (left mouse button), the game minimises and alt-tabs out, so to speak.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only the main menu is locked at 60fps. If you join a real game you should get the fps your hardware can produce.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    Only the main menu is locked at 60fps. If you join a real game you should get the fps your hardware can produce.

Beside that it could also be VSYNC being enabled ;) So check your graphics option.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @greycouncil Ensure you are running DX9 FULLSCREEN only, as well.