White screen on start

PhiPhi UK Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211497Members
edited January 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Yo.
My computer is a somewhat high-level, but Subnautica doesn't run at any sort of speed.

When I play the game, the game displays a white screen instead of anything graphical - I just get the build number in the top right with the menu music playing (and looping) in the background.
The CPU stays at ~12.5%, e.g. maxing out one core.

Clicking the window results in Not Responding, for a few minutes.
subnautica_error.png
(It seems to be faintly telling me my graphics card is not powerful enough, but that's false. There is an integrated Intel HD card, but it's disabled.)

I've tried multiple fixes:
  • Switching between quality doesn't change it.
  • Switching between windowed or full-screen doesn't change it.
  • Switching resolution doesn't change it.
  • Switching between stable and experimental doesn't change it.
  • Using the -force-dx9 doesn't change it.

I've checked the specs and they are above recommended:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i7 4770k 3.5GHz (8 CPUs), 32GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 630.
Full DXDiag specs here.
Full output_log.txt here.
Drivers for video and audio are up to date. The video card supports DirectX 11.
I have two screens plugged in, and a USB hub.

On experimental, the build number is 27155.
I was pretty excited to play the game, but it's a complete dud.
Assistance would be cool. I'm a software developer so I should be able to handle the technical details.

Cheers...

Comments

• Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    Are you using -force-opengl? This happens on my system when I use it.

( Also See: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2265997/#Comment_2265997 )
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    I have the same bug

Edit: changing graphics quality to minimal fixes it
  • PhiPhi UK Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211497Members
    Hm, nope, I didn't use the -force-opengl. It basically had 1 frame every 2 minutes, running without any sort of changes on minimum quality. Each mouse click would send it into Not Responding, and then a minute later it'd refresh and respond to the click.

I went ahead and upgraded to a NVIDIA GTX 970, which is the 4th best card NVIDIA makes... and the menu still only gets 2fps.
    The gameplay is far smoother and playable, but the menu is simply awful. Even if it's doing that because it's loading things in the background, I'd rather have a percentage bar on the start instead of a lag... or even better, a flat image rather than the whole world engine loaded to make the menu look shiny. It stutters visibly, which on an i7 + GTX 970 + SSD, that's pretty impressively bad.
    It's like buffering an ad before your video starts. You don't care how shiny the ad is, you just want to move on to the content.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Phi wrote: »
    Hm, nope, I didn't use the -force-opengl. It basically had 1 frame every 2 minutes, running without any sort of changes on minimum quality. Each mouse click would send it into Not Responding, and then a minute later it'd refresh and respond to the click.

I went ahead and upgraded to a NVIDIA GTX 970, which is the 4th best card NVIDIA makes... and the menu still only gets 2fps.
    The gameplay is far smoother and playable, but the menu is simply awful. Even if it's doing that because it's loading things in the background, I'd rather have a percentage bar on the start instead of a lag... or even better, a flat image rather than the whole world engine loaded to make the menu look shiny. It stutters visibly, which on an i7 + GTX 970 + SSD, that's pretty impressively bad.
    It's like buffering an ad before your video starts. You don't care how shiny the ad is, you just want to move on to the content.

The menu is just a video so is that what you are thinking is 2fps and the rest of the game is smooth now?, with the hardware mentioned now 970, ssd, and i7-- you should be able to run the game around 80-120fps (as I have about the same hardware as yours).. The 930 card wasn't really a gaming card for use (you can get maybe 40fps tops at 1027x768 in the new Star Wars Battlefront with that), X60+ models tend to be for gaming use.
    edited January 2016
    Luitjens wrote: »
    The menu is just a video so is that that you are thinking is 2fps and the rest of the game is smooth now?, with the hardware mentioned now 970, ssd, and i7-- you should be able to run the game around 80-120fps (as I have about the same hardware as yours). The 930 card wasn't really a gaming card for use (you can get maybe 40fps tops at 1027x768 in the new Star Wars Battlefront with that), X60+ models tend to be for gaming use.
    930? I had a GT 630, then upgraded to a 970. I assume you meant the 630.

The menu can't just be a video. It runs too slow for that to be possible. Plus, it loads half a gig of memory, which is beyond the scope of just a video and a simple GUI.

In my old config, the program would stall for a good minute or so between each mouse click on the menu, whereas actual gameplay (on Minimum quality), while not smooth, did still work. My old GPU was perfectly capable of playing a video at full screen without lag.

In my new config, the menu lags noticeably, stalling every couple of seconds, and not smooth at all, but at least far more usable. The gameplay is decent fps, but regularly kills the framerate to load stuff in. I can play this on Recommended, though.

I don't understand the problem Subnautica is having; there's plenty of resources spare in all areas, and no invasive other programs - I've checked by closing them.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Thanks for the report. The menu is indeed just a movie that's playing in the background. We haven't changed much with regards to the main menu recently other than updating that movie to reflect the new visuals from the patch. I'll check to see if something about that new movie might be causing issues for you.
    Max wrote: »
    I'll check to see if something about that new movie might be causing issues for you.
    Occasionally on the new Subnautica, if I start it in the background, the video is a complete black and it runs horrendously slow. When it does load it, it's still stuttering significantly.
    edited January 2016
    Well, now it fails to load the video more often than not. When the video doesn't load, the speed is completely awful.
    It also blows up a core on the CPU just playing the video. Someone needs to chuck in a few Sleep(0); commands :tongue:
    I have to reserve at least 10 minutes of time before I play the game now. It's stupid.
    subnautica_bug2.png
    This is the latest experimental, build 27503.
    I found the reason for that...
    I start the game on full-screen on my second screen, but unless the window has focus and the mouse on that screen, the video won't load and the menu speed will be awful.
    With those two conditions met, it will load the background video.

(the stuttering is still there when the menu's video has loaded, but it's far more responsive)
    The mouse has to be on the screen Subnautica is loading on, or the menu's background video won't load at all, slowing the game beyond playable. The sound may completely not load at all either - so you get menu music but no in-game sounds.
    So if you start the game, move the mouse into the right screen over where the video will be, and give it a minute.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2016
    Phi wrote: »
    I found the reason for that...
    I start the game on full-screen on my second screen, but unless the window has focus and the mouse on that screen, the video won't load and the menu speed will be awful.
    With those two conditions met, it will load the background video.

(the stuttering is still there when the menu's video has loaded, but it's far more responsive)

Hmm, I know in the display driver options (nvidia/amd panel) you can find something about multi-monitor GPU support-- ensure that is enabled for both monitors
    http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_7.html "Multi-display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration:"

I'll look into loading game on multi-monitors though, thanks for the report on this-- Feel like getting closer to why this is happening.
  • ZetlinZetlin Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212463Members
    Title screen is awful for me too- often takes a few minutes to load, and sometimes freezes or plays horrendously slowly.
    Luitjens wrote: »
    Hmm, I know in the display driver options (nvidia/amd panel) you can find something about multi-monitor GPU support-- ensure that is enabled for both monitors
    http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_7.html "Multi-display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration:"

I checked out this option, it doesn't change anything. Still not fast.
    Things that might interfere are TeamViewer monitor driver and f.lux, if you want to check those. I did try quitting them though.