The encyclopedia: first impressions + all scannable creatures

RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
THIS PAGE IS OUTDATED

The scanner was released in the experimental branch recently and it can be used to scan fragments (will be making a post about this) and a bunch of other things. When you scan animals, plants, geology and coral you get an entry in the data bank tap of the PDA which gives you some interesting info about the thing you just scanned as well as an image. Note that this is a WIP feature.
So far, this is what you can scan:

>Coral
-Brain Coral
>Fauna
\/Carnivores
-Biter
-Sand Shark
-Stalker
\/Herbivores
-Airsack
-Boomerang
-Cute Fish
-Garryfish
-Gasopod
-Peeper
-Rabbit Ray
\/Scavengers
-Shuttlebug (aka Clicker)
>Flora
-Acid Mushroom
>Planetary Geology
-Rock Outcrops

Note that these are the only ones I could found to work; there could be others.

As you can see this isn't nearly half of all the stuff in Subnautica, and many of the entries are missing an image or description, so this feature is far from complete. There some thing require you to scan them more than once, for example acid mushrooms, which doesn't really make sense as they are pretty small, but I though it was a bug at first because it didn't pop up on the PDA, then I scanned a few more and it worked. It needs to be clearer when you need to scan creatures more than once otherwise it just seems like a bug.

I know the devs plan to add a lot more to this and to flesh it out more. I will be making a post once it comes into the normal branch of these game. I aim to do these posts for other features as well, to give the devs some more helpful feedback.

All in all this is a really interesting feature that allows us to know more about the facinating world of Subnautica. This feature will be good for new players as well, as it acts a a kind of tutorial. It also gives us more to do and gives more incentive to explore to discover new creatures.

NOTE: This post is outdated; many more creatures are now scannable

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I was hoping scanning things would have a gameplay affect, but perhaps that's what the creature analysis device is for
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited December 2015
    It also gives us more to do and gives more incentive to explore to discover new creatures.

Yes, that's what I denote an argument! Although I'd appreciate to see some reasonable benefit than just filling the encyclopedia. The player who's able to scan sharks and stalkers seems to know them good enough I guess. But who knows ... I'm looking forward to be pleasantly surprised :)

PS: The first one who scans a reaper is treated to a beer ;)
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    This means less alt-tabbing to browse the wiki. Good work :)
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited December 2015
    I found all of these myself, so no harm done on my end, but i think it'd be verypolite to put all this into a [ spoiler] [/ spoiler] bracket.

I really like the way this is going. First time since pokemon red i am motivated to get all entries for an ingame creature index.
    edited December 2015
    Hmmmmm :)
    Thinking of scanning the reaper to get an important information ... maybe something it does or doesn't like. How about a bait formula which is randomly generated out of say three different ingredients. The binomial coefficient 3 of dozens should be fairly high enough to stay excited in every new game.
    That(!) would be a real challenge and fulfill replayability expectations!

Edit: Or if this random formula was too much roundabout implementing, it also could be treated as a blueprint ... for baits or repellents.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    lxh wrote: »

I'd take you up on that but I'd rather be alive for my beer

Hehehe of course you would, ChaosKnight ... me too :)
    But I think it's possible with the right strategy. You'd never make it in the open sea but by exploiting the right terrain. Nearby the Aurora - I think south west - seems to be the appropriated spot with gabs and holes, and sometimes there's a reaper around. The plan is to move cyclops as near as possible to such a gab and slip inside. Well, I've never tried it and please, kids: don't try this at home ... but if the reaper comes close, trying but not able to nab, you start scanning.

Hihihi ... Devs, I'd really be disappointed if you'd throw us some reaper eggs to breed in your aquapark. That'd be a waste of fun potential.
  • WylieKWylieK Dallas, TX, USA Join Date: 2015-09-13 Member: 207927Members
    Was wondering why the Bone Shark isn't included for this list of Scannable-Creatures. You interact with the Bone Shark.. ie it attacks you and you can stasis it. And you can even hatch their eggs in the Large Aquarium. So why can't you Scan it for the PDA Encyclopedia?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    WylieK wrote: »
    Was wondering why the Bone Shark isn't included for this list of Scannable-Creatures. You interact with the Bone Shark.. ie it attacks you and you can stasis it. And you can even hatch their eggs in the Large Aquarium. So why can't you Scan it for the PDA Encyclopedia?

not all the creatures and plants can be scanned yet. The dev's have already stated they plan to add the rest at some point. When that is is anyone's guess.
  • LaneEatsBrainsLaneEatsBrains Florida Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211448Members

Hehehe of course you would, ChaosKnight ... me too :)
    But I think it's possible with the right strategy. You'd never make it in the open sea but by exploiting the right terrain. Nearby the Aurora - I think south west - seems to be the appropriated spot with gabs and holes, and sometimes there's a reaper around. The plan is to move cyclops as near as possible to such a gab and slip inside. Well, I've never tried it and please, kids: don't try this at home ... but if the reaper comes close, trying but not able to nab, you start scanning.

Hihihi ... Devs, I'd really be disappointed if you'd throw us some reaper eggs to breed in your aquapark. That'd be a waste of fun potential.

You can scan all the dangerous animals by using the stasis rifle. It will freeze an object for a short length of time. This allows you to get close up to scan and also to see them in greater detail.
    You can scan all the dangerous animals by using the stasis rifle. It will freeze an object for a short length of time. This allows you to get close up to scan and also to see them in greater detail.

Yea, we've already got that theme. I wonder if reapers are scanable right now. But however, making them immune to the rifle would be hell of a fun. Hehe
  • LaneEatsBrainsLaneEatsBrains Florida Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211448Members

Yea, we've already got that theme. I wonder if reapers are scanable right now. But however, making them immune to the rifle would be hell of a fun. Hehe

I've been too scared to even attempt a shot with the statis rifle :) I might try it tonight though...
    edited February 2016

I've been too scared to even attempt a shot with the statis rifle :) I might try it tonight though...

For you... you hardcore player you... lol besides the seamoth's self-defense mechanism... there's no viable defense against that monster without the stasis rifle.
    besides the seamoth's self-defense mechanism... there's no viable defense against that monster without the stasis rifle.

Defense? I have two more, Requiemfang: Stay inside cyclops or simply avoid contact. But I'm glad these guys don't roam ... boy, that would be another game! :)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    But I'm glad these guys don't roam ... boy, that would be another game! :)

i wished they roamed too!

besides the seamoth's self-defense mechanism... there's no viable defense against that monster without the stasis rifle.

Defense? I have two more, Requiemfang: Stay inside cyclops or simply avoid contact. But I'm glad these guys don't roam ... boy, that would be another game! :)

Who says they won't add roaming when the Creature Attack update happens?
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    btw this post is outdated; many more creatures are now scannable
    edited February 2016

That's just my modest prognosis. Imagine the enormous community yell, audible all over the world, the unbelievable flood of F8's. The Devs aren't their own enemies I guess. Though, such a little 'bug' on an April the 1st update ... hehehe
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited February 2016

That's just my modest prognosis. Imagine the enormous community yell, audible all over the world, the unbelievable flood of F8's. The Devs aren't their own enemies I guess. Though, such a little 'bug' on an April the 1st update ... hehehe

That'll make it even better! I'd find it thrilling if I had built a seabase in reaper territory and one was trying to smash its way through the windows and glass corridors, flooding the base and forcing me to escape or try to reinforce it.
    And reading about other people's encounters would be entertaining. I like to think that something like the wrecked, abandoned seabases could happen in the creature attack update.
    Yeah, lovely! Imagine reapers patrolling close around the shallows and it was highest priority to scan these beasts just to get a repellents blueprint. -> Subnautica represented as one of the top ten action games on steam. lol
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    We are soooooooo bone sharked
    course by the time they release the creature attack update... they wouldn't put something into the game unless they gave us a way to ward off such attacks. Sure it'd be fun to have the attacks happen but without a way to defend it, the game becomes pointless and not fun at all if you're constantly losing things and your base to boot. All those resources going into it and then poof it's gone. That my friends is not fun at all, it's frustrating and if I were using a controller for this game I'd be smashing it into the wall or ground after a while.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    Yeah, lovely! Imagine reapers patrolling close around the shallows and it was highest priority to scan these beasts just to get a repellents blueprint. -> Subnautica represented as one of the top ten action games on steam. lol

THIS ^ would be AWESOME! (please don't attack my base mr reaper!)
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2016
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    You're missing tree mushrooms from the mushroom forests and tree leeches, a small circular purple/pink circle that sticks on the mushroom trees.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    BIPPITY wrote: »
    You're missing tree mushrooms from the mushroom forests and tree leeches, a small circular purple/pink circle that sticks on the mushroom trees.

As I said, this page is out dated. There is a LOT more things that aren't on this list, and many more coming in the future.
    okay recent experimental updates they've added a few more scannable aquatic plants, don't know how many more new scannable things there are in the game now currently.

uo9d78bm5op8.jpg

what I've found so far, probably more I haven't scanned yet.
    okay recent experimental updates they've added a few more scannable aquatic plants, don't know how many more new scannable things there are in the game now currently.

what I've found so far, probably more I haven't scanned yet.

Yeah, there is almost 50 new scannable plants. As I keep saying THIS PAGE IS OUTDATED. There are a lot more scannables that aren't on this page.