[TSF]::MEMO:14246::priority:low [RESPONSE REQUIRED] - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Except it has everything to do with what you said. I'm explaining why the system you want isn't already in the game, and the amount of work it would be to implement
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Except it has everything to do with what you said. I'm explaining why the system you want isn't already in the game, and the amount of work it would be to implement
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that it's pretty much set in stone that we're getting sold texture swaps instead of being able to customize armor configurations and buy color/camo like Warframe does instead.

Who says? at the moment the game/menu etc dont support that type of system, but that doesnt mean we arent looking at changing that. It just takes time :)

I understand why it's not in the game and why it would take a lot of work to change it since the armor wasn't modeled to support them in the first place. But that doesn't rule out the possibility of said system coming to the game and these skins conflicting with it.

Armor skins should require the base armor dlc to buy/use them, and black colored armor skins should require having special edition to buy/use them as well. It would pretty much fix this entire issue. It would be a simple dlc license check to see if you're eligible to purchase/use them, it wouldn't be out of place as other games use the same system.

I wouldn't mind dropping another $5 here and there to buy variations of shadow tier elite assault or special edition black armor or the combination of the two, as long as they stay exclusive to the owners of said dlc.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    1-6-7

It is a bit sad there is only 6 with a somewhat "fighting" theme (the claw mark). 10 also has it, in some way, but a bit less.
  • Gooch123Gooch123 UK Join Date: 2015-07-15 Member: 206167Members
    edited December 2015
    When will we get this dlc
  • ghostdlrghostdlr Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205950Members
    I want the Shadow Gorge as a DLC :D
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
  • HurHurGorgeHurHurGorge Finland Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209921Members

With this new update that mid skin for marine got TSF letters on shoulder. So when you apply Reinforced or Kodiak or Reaper sign, TSF still there and if you look closely you see letters sticking out under the wings. Its uglier in game xD
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Calego wrote: »
    Deck_ wrote: »
    nizb0ag wrote: »
    CCTEE wrote: »
    i trust experimentation into the future of ns2 isnt slowed down for 1 second by the overstated rights of black armour/armor owners.

How much gametime you expect for $45, broke or not?

You're also forgetting the numerous people who also supported through other means such as constellation program prior to black armour/armor from 2003-2010/11? the people who funded development for the original versions of NS2 before it was even released officially and gave Flayra enough money to blow it on pizza and milk parties.

Skins aren't going to magically bring players to the game, it will just help fund UWE more from the current playerbase and from sales that make for people who buy "DLC packs" maybe in the future when a system is implemented such as Free to play it'll make a difference, but then you won't even need to have black armour/armor.

They said it was never coming back, it was a one time sales thing and alot of people purchased it to support UWE alot just chose that version because it was never coming back, please don't ruin it for others, some people are trying to be entitled or trying so hard to get something that was limited edition. :( i feel sad for people that want it though, my gf nags me about it constantly haha.

I understand the concerns of people that have it (I don't want anyone else to have it!) - but there's also other people that never had the chance to get it in the first place. Not sure if you have heard people say they are never going to make this available again, but then they open the vault so to speak to allow for new people to get something. Just because you got it at one point years ago, that means no one else should ever be able to get it? Things go on sale all the time, things change. You could just as easily not be playing the game anymore, but you are. It's just a skin, you got what you paid for.

The it's 'just a skin' argument goes both ways. Why should people need to buy it since it's 'just a skin'.

I never had the chance to get it, I really really want it. But I understand what it means, and I respect that. That's really all this whole thing boils down to.

If we still respect the members of this community that have been here since before time, then we keep showing them that by leaving that black armor exclusive, as promised. If no one gives a sh*t, then why am I still a part of a community that doesn't value it's staunchest supporters?

It's the same thing with the Reinforced badges, those were given as a reward for people who supported this game when it needed it. If you made those buyable, or even something very similar, it would cheapen the gesture of appreciation.

The very fact that this is a controversial topic indicates to me that the black armor should be left alone and unchallenged in its black-ness.

I understand all your points. It's silly either way. I was just making the counter argument to the people that say "I don't want anyone else to have it!" - which I find funny.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts

With this new update that mid skin for marine got TSF letters on shoulder. So when you apply Reinforced or Kodiak or Reaper sign, TSF still there and if you look closely you see letters sticking out under the wings. Its uglier in game xD

That has always been like that. And people have mentioned those holes before but you can't see them when you open then in 3ds max
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    I understand the concerns of people that have it (I don't want anyone else to have it!) - but there's also other people that never had the chance to get it in the first place. Not sure if you have heard people say they are never going to make this available again, but then they open the vault so to speak to allow for new people to get something. Just because you got it at one point years ago, that means no one else should ever be able to get it? Things go on sale all the time, things change. You could just as easily not be playing the game anymore, but you are. It's just a skin, you got what you paid for.

! - People never had the chance to get it in the first place. Of course they didn't, not everyone knew of UWE or the game, but those that did and supported were given something exclusive.

2 - Opening the vault, and giving out something that was once exclusive is a broken promise. If you can't keep your promises, you lose respect very quickly. Exclusivity means exactly that, limited time special edition means just that.

This isn't about the skin itself per-se, it's about the modern principle that people think it is ok to make a promise, then break it to further their own financial gain.

That may be acceptable in some parts of the world, but in other parts, it's a sure way to lose custom.

Making something new and exclusive is fine, but you don't make a rerun of limited edition stuff unless you want to purposely devalue the originals.
  • HurHurGorgeHurHurGorge Finland Join Date: 2015-12-12 Member: 209921Members

That has always been like that. And people have mentioned those holes before but you can't see them when you open then in 3ds max

Hmm, how strange. I probably didnt notice TSF sticking from behind logo before. How odd that it suddenly got my attention after I changed marine look. As for holes in the chest area. I dont think its big deal really, I just thought to ask if it was possible to change. Ty. :)
    edited December 2015
    It is possible to change if I could see the holes in 3ds max.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

! - People never had the chance to get it in the first place. Of course they didn't, not everyone knew of UWE or the game, but those that did and supported were given something exclusive.

2 - Opening the vault, and giving out something that was once exclusive is a broken promise. If you can't keep your promises, you lose respect very quickly. Exclusivity means exactly that, limited time special edition means just that.

This isn't about the skin itself per-se, it's about the modern principle that people think it is ok to make a promise, then break it to further their own financial gain.

That may be acceptable in some parts of the world, but in other parts, it's a sure way to lose custom.

Making something new and exclusive is fine, but you don't make a rerun of limited edition stuff unless you want to purposely devalue the originals.

You are correct.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members

quoted for truth!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @rantology I really need a bundle option, cause I can't decide between any of these. All of them look amazing.
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't get the big deal over the black armor, yes I believe it shouldn't be resold since the buyers were promised exclusivity, but I'm pretty sure when it was sold it didn't say that UWE would NEVER EVER make another skin with black on it, that's just silly.
    Either way it's a non issue since the new skins coming out soon won't be black, but I do believe that in the future we should be able to get skin that are black...it's just a color :P
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Looks like someones puked all over the TSF armour and is looking to spin more $ from ppl who still play this game ;)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Alite wrote: »
    I don't get the big deal over the black armor, yes I believe it shouldn't be resold since the buyers were promised exclusivity, but I'm pretty sure when it was sold it didn't say that UWE would NEVER EVER make another skin with black on it, that's just silly.
    Either way it's a non issue since the new skins coming out soon won't be black, but I do believe that in the future we should be able to get skin that are black...it's just a color :P

There was never talk of skins for NS2, it just wasn't part of the design plan. Normal Marines were going to be green, the standard NS2 marine color, and Special Editions were going to be Black. So as they weren't planning on skins at the outset, yes that was the expectation.

Also notice the quote on the picture:
    tYh7nRt.png

Special All Black Armor. The key word is black. We all believed we would have a Black version of the marine armor. In the end we got a different armor, as well as black. Yes I was pleased with that, but would rather have just had black versions of the standard armors, as that was what I was expecting.

As I and most others have said, the armor itself we don't care about, make pink editions of the special armor if you want, enable people to buy the special armor if you want, just don't make black available. It is one non-color out of millions of potential colors.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @soul_rider I think the key word is all
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Key word is special: special armor for 'special' players.

Anyway, this discussion is stupid since there's not even a black armor in the mix.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2015
    Special All Black Armor. The key word is black. We all believed we would have a Black version of the marine armor. In the end we got a different armor, as well as black. Yes I was pleased with that, but would rather have just had black versions of the standard armors, as that was what I was expecting.

As I and most others have said, the armor itself we don't care about, make pink editions of the special armor if you want, enable people to buy the special armor if you want, just don't make black available. It is one non-color out of millions of potential colors.

Actually the key words are "special", "all black" and "armor". The statement obviously refers to one specific type of armor which happens to be black. There is not a single word about the speical armor model being used with different textures or partially (or even all) black skins on other models.

I really don't understand what all this is about. The people whe need the black armor to show how much they supported UWE a long time ago will only be noticed by other veterans anyway as none of the new players know what the black armor stands for. The veterans should be able to distinguish the real black amor from black skinned other armor models. So, what is the big problem with other dark colord skins?
    edited December 2015
    As much as I am for keeping black armor exclusive (in any way you want to define that) the significance of it has "worn off", and many of the current players don't necessarily understand what black armor is, or what it signifies. This is not a very good example, but many people don't even know what the badges represent, and those have hover tooltips. You rarely ever see anyone point out some of the "big name badges".

Personally I think that as long as it isn't visually close to the old black armor I would be fine with that.
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    Alite wrote: »

There was never talk of skins for NS2, it just wasn't part of the design plan. Normal Marines were going to be green, the standard NS2 marine color, and Special Editions were going to be Black. So as they weren't planning on skins at the outset, yes that was the expectation.

Also notice the quote on the picture:
    tYh7nRt.png

I get what your saying, but looking at that image I still fail to see how anyone could reasonably expect UWE to NEVER come out with newer skins that could have black on them...it's just so unreasonable. To me "special all black marine armor" means that if I bought that package I would get a different skin from the standard marine one that is all black, and obviously that particular skin would never be resold again. How does that imply no other skins they come out with cannot have some black also?

EDIT: Ok I see your point about skins not being considered back then, but I still think it's unreasonable to not allow UWE to make skins with black on them. From what I see, the agreement was that the "special all black marine armor" would be exclusive, if UWE comes out with new skins that have some black that "special all black marine armor" is still exclusive and not being resold.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Sure that armor is still exclusive... it just isn't as "special" anymore.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    It stops being special when people stop treating it as special, simple as that. In this example, multiple new black armors would make the old one irrelevant for most people.

No one in public games goes "Oh look at that armor with the goggles and gasmask, it's cool!"
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    As much as I am for keeping black armor exclusive (in any way you want to define that) the significance of it has "worn off", and many of the current players don't necessarily understand what black armor is, or what it signifies. This is not a very good example, but many people don't even know what the badges represent, and those have hover tooltips. You rarely ever see anyone point out some of the "big name badges".

Personally I think that as long as it isn't visually close to the old black armor I would be fine with that.

No one stays around long enough to notice to ask lol
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    No one in public games goes "Oh look at that armor with the goggles and gasmask, it's cool!"

I do :(

Anyone paying attention to stuff like that will notice black armor skin as being different to others, and anyone not paying attention isnt gonna care.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Black armor is currently quite an impressive status symbol for most. That's not disputable. Whether you publicly choose to acknowledge that you recognize it or not is up to you.

Whether skins are "cool," I don't know. Are the walls "cool?" Are clouds "cool?" Is the queen of England "cool?" What does "cool" mean anyway?

You know when you really start recognizing goggles and gasmasks though? When you repeatedly die to the same marine. Now, if that's not "cool," I don't know what is ;-) .
    Din't get me wrawng. I love my exclusive black armor. I'd just trade it for enough players to matchmake games with parties and ranked play at any time of day