Fixed framerate option

StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
Could we have an option (or console command , like in NS2) to cap the framerate ? My pc is prone to overheating , which prevents me from playing Subnautica for more than half an hour at a time. It would be greatly appreciated if this were added next update to menus.

*edit* wrong forum , please move to ideas & suggestions

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    What GPU do you have?
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    It's a geforce GTX 760 , sufficient for the game , but I keep settings to minimum due to only having 4 gb of ram (the game runs out of memory otherwise) ; mostly my pc case has poor air flow.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Until SN has an option to limit FPS, I recommend trying to underclocking your GPU (or CPU if that is what is the problem).

Since you didn't mention your GPU brand, I recommend trying to use NVidia Inspector (video), MSI Afterburner, or other GPU overclocking utility. This can, among other things, down-clock your GPU to a rate that does not overheat (which has the same effect as the frame limiting that you requested). From the sounds of it, you need to apply this to your whole system as it wouldn't be just Subnautica with this problem.

On the other hand, if its your CPU that is overheating, you could try setting the processor affinity of subnautica.exe to a single core.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Why not get more case fans or replace them with better case fans?
    Downclocking could work but seems a dreaded shame of your vidcard. So is minimum settings.

Noctua has some great fans, but yes they are expensive compared to the cheap ones. But the airflow and airpressure is just better in general.