Following the Terrain - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2015 in NS2 General Discussion

imageFollowing the Terrain - Natural Selection 2

Some aircraft spend lots of time flying at low altitude and great speed. They often employ ‘terrain following’ radar: Systems that bounce electromagnetic radiation off the surrounding environment. The return...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yo forum robot wake the hell up bro
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks Hugh for insight into your approach to a safe landing for NS2, however I can't help but notice UWE feels the pressure for the wheel to be re-invented on a grand scale every time a new feature is thrown up on your office whiteboard.

When someone has already done the hard work for you, it's OK to take an already proven system and implement it. Other games have made mistakes for us so that we don't have to make them all over again. I know you're across this more than most people on here but do your research, listen to your peers and I'm sure you already have some great logical progressions in store for the next life-cycle of the game.

Wishing you and the team all the best for NS2's continued development and welcome back to Australia.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You're expecting many more sales from NS2? I think it's quite saturated. Also there's this chart that I think is more important. Increasing there will increase the sales imo.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/4920
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    *GASP* You mean your laptop wasn't turned off and stored securely in the overhead compartment! SHAME ON YOU!
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I've got one of my freinds to reguarly play this game he has played 61 hours on only one month!!!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    lussebull wrote: »
    I've got one of my freinds to reguarly play this game he has played 61 hours on only one month!!!

Awesome work man! I've tried several times to get my friends to play this game... I've given away free copies, and the most any of them gave it was 1 hour... one guy even played it for 20 minutes. "You're welcome... I guess..." :(

But hey, working on player retention is our #1 goal here now.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    edited November 2015
    Dev policy change ? Can't be a bad thing.

Retention problem is obvious.
    How long do they try before giving up ?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I read the first line and thought this was going to be about a change to lerk flight physics such that flying close to the ground makes them go faster.
  • meowsmeows Join Date: 2008-10-14 Member: 65201Members
    edited December 2015
    Wake wrote: »

This is the #1 issue right now. Greens come into a community where players with over a thousand hours is normal. These players have to be able to enjoy the games they play even with the current skill set.

Getting "rekt" over and over will serve to only push new players away, back to some other game they're "good" at.

New features and the likes are all well and good but without a consistent player base what's the point.
    edited December 2015
    meows wrote: »

This is the #1 issue right now. Greens come into a community where players with over a thousand hours is normal. These players have to be able to enjoy the games they play even with the current skill set.

Getting "rekt" over and over will serve to only push new players away, back to some other game they're "good" at.

New features and the likes are all well and good but without a consistent player base what's the point.

On a game today i Joinded at the late close to the ending. It Went realy bad i had 1 kill and 6 deaths..
    Then one dude called me out and made fun of me and Said i had hax.......
    Next game i came second with 6 deaths and 17 KILLS! Also destroyed 2 hives and the game lasted about 10 min.... Unfortenly he had left that game so i didn't get my pride.....

On a game today i Joinded at the late close to the ending. It Went realy bad i had 1 kill and 6 deaths..
    Next game i came second with 6 deaths and 17 KILLS! Also destroyed 2 hives and the game lasted about 10 min.... Unfortenly he had left that game so i didn't get my pride.....

That's got to be the world's worst hack if it gives you a 1-6 kdr.
    edited December 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

That's got to be the world's worst hack if it gives you a 1-6 kdr.

He was obviusly joking....

No need for this
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Develop an effective way to measure player ability and group players accordingly.

Prevent experienced players, and smurf accounts (assholes) from playing with this portion of the community.

You have a game with a high skill ceiling, and you've done nothing effective to address this disparity of ability within the player base.
    This is why NS2 burns off new players. This is why there has been essentially no growth or player retention.
    If you want to fix the game, implement a way to record all match data, and develop heuristics to interpret the data to evaluate player ability.

If you do not know how to do this, I have no problem explaining to you some very effective models that can be implemented. I've been considering and shaping them now for literally years.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    That said I read the proposal doc and I like the idea of achievements and unlocks (old school regulars might scoff at that but come on it's 2015). Weapon skins are really boring though, if there's any possible way to bring gameplay rewards into it that would be ideal. Combat mode would be a great fit for CoD-style perk unlocks, just saying...
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2015
    By the way, slightly off-topic but while I'm spamming my thoughts... You guys might be interested to know that Tribes Ascend is currently in an extremely similar situation to NS2. It's another online game released in 2012 which eventually fell out of favor and the developers abandoned it as its playerbase dwindled - recently they decided to return to the game and are doing sweeping updates to core game mechanics. For instance, throwing away their whole class system and replacing it with gear slots like in Tribes 1/2, see patch notes:

http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home/latest-news/view/tribes-ascend-blog/2015/09/11/patch-notes-out-of-the-blue
    http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home/latest-news/view/tribes-ascend-blog/2015/10/23/tribes-ascend-pts-2.1
    http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home/latest-news/view/tribes-ascend-blog/2015/09/24/out-of-the-blue-tribes-ascend-version-1.1-pts-2-september-2015

Speaking as a player who similarly got bored of that game and stopped playing, I'm really interested in this and will go back to it again when the changes hit the live build.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    More players means more casual players. Casual players aren't that interested about pro stuff like razor-sharp balance and reimplemented bunny hopping, they want immersion and fun, and probably slower gameplay to be able to do anything effectively as a team instead of just spawning and dying in a chaotic mealstrom of Fade swipes and grenade explosions.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Steam economy? Finally I will get my lerk-with-a-top-hat-and-monocle :')
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Zek wrote: »
    By the way, slightly off-topic but while I'm spamming my thoughts... You guys might be interested to know that Tribes Ascend is currently in an extremely similar situation to NS2. It's another online game released in 2012 which eventually fell out of favor and the developers abandoned it as its playerbase dwindled - recently they decided to return to the game and are doing sweeping updates to core game mechanics. For instance, throwing away their whole class system and replacing it with gear slots like in Tribes 1/2, see patch notes:

http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home/latest-news/view/tribes-ascend-blog/2015/09/11/patch-notes-out-of-the-blue
    http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home/latest-news/view/tribes-ascend-blog/2015/10/23/tribes-ascend-pts-2.1
    http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home/latest-news/view/tribes-ascend-blog/2015/09/24/out-of-the-blue-tribes-ascend-version-1.1-pts-2-september-2015

Speaking as a player who similarly got bored of that game and stopped playing, I'm really interested in this and will go back to it again when the changes hit the live build.

Tribes was a very fun game but lacked some key features that stopped me from playing it for a long time.

First it is really hard to find decent servers. I wanted to run servers for this game back when it was popular and even when it died out to address this issue but your not allowed to. Instead you got to pay them money to run your server on their crappy server. The servers they had were a joke I want to run a server that is not a POS but I am not allowed to unless I shell out money to the DEVs wtf!?

Second the biggest issue I constantly had with the game once in an actual server was that there was no ingame voice communication. I liked how tribes was a team based game like NS2 but unfortunately it never could be in a pub environment due to the lack of ingame mic support. This is also related again to the devs keeping an iron grip on servers. Logically the cost to them would not just be implementing a voice system but also the bandwidth costs to their servers as they do not have or allow 3rd party community hosted servers.

Third is lack of custom servers and mods and general content. Due once again to the iron grip they keep on their servers they likewise effect the ability for people to easily run custom servers with their own custom maps. While the game does have a lot of built in options for various game modes if people can not easily setup their own servers to actually offer these game modes to players without just changing the name of an existing dev server to theirs.

Forth is the lack of community, due to the lack of community servers an ingame voice there is nothing that ever tied me to that game. I payed with random people I never knew and that was it. The ability to actually communicate with people via a mic and to do so on a server hosted by a community where those players play at is huge. In ns2 and other games I always have more fun playing with people I know and have spoken to on previous games. There is a connection you get with players when you actually talk to them. This connection causes players to have more fun and interest in the game. If I knew a group of players in tribes and some servers they were regulars on I would play on those servers with them but due to the lack of mic support I can not really make that connection to begin with.

Fifth was their level restriction system. For a time the only servers with players that had <150 ping were all <level50 only, it was at this point I gave up playing the game.

You will notice that I did not list anything about the class system or gameplay. I never have had a big problem with those well at least until a year or so ago when the added content killed a bunch of stuff and then also none of the servers have fixed guns or anymore making the mec class feel left out in the cold. Honestly the gameplay was a lot more fun a few years back, it is hard to point out every change they have made to gameplay since then but I defiantly recall having more fun back then with the different classes than I do in a game today.
    ZEROibis wrote: »

Tribes was a very fun game but lacked some key features that stopped me from playing it for a long time.

First it is really hard to find decent servers. I wanted to run servers for this game back when it was popular and even when it died out to address this issue but your not allowed to. Instead you got to pay them money to run your server on their crappy server. The servers they had were a joke I want to run a server that is not a POS but I am not allowed to unless I shell out money to the DEVs wtf!?

Second the biggest issue I constantly had with the game once in an actual server was that there was no ingame voice communication. I liked how tribes was a team based game like NS2 but unfortunately it never could be in a pub environment due to the lack of ingame mic support. This is also related again to the devs keeping an iron grip on servers. Logically the cost to them would not just be implementing a voice system but also the bandwidth costs to their servers as they do not have or allow 3rd party community hosted servers.

Third is lack of custom servers and mods and general content. Due once again to the iron grip they keep on their servers they likewise effect the ability for people to easily run custom servers with their own custom maps. While the game does have a lot of built in options for various game modes if people can not easily setup their own servers to actually offer these game modes to players without just changing the name of an existing dev server to theirs.

Forth is the lack of community, due to the lack of community servers an ingame voice there is nothing that ever tied me to that game. I payed with random people I never knew and that was it. The ability to actually communicate with people via a mic and to do so on a server hosted by a community where those players play at is huge. In ns2 and other games I always have more fun playing with people I know and have spoken to on previous games. There is a connection you get with players when you actually talk to them. This connection causes players to have more fun and interest in the game. If I knew a group of players in tribes and some servers they were regulars on I would play on those servers with them but due to the lack of mic support I can not really make that connection to begin with.

Fifth was their level restriction system. For a time the only servers with players that had <150 ping were all <level50 only, it was at this point I gave up playing the game.

You will notice that I did not list anything about the class system or gameplay. I never have had a big problem with those well at least until a year or so ago when the added content killed a bunch of stuff and then also none of the servers have fixed guns or anymore making the mec class feel left out in the cold. Honestly the gameplay was a lot more fun a few years back, it is hard to point out every change they have made to gameplay since then but I defiantly recall having more fun back then with the different classes than I do in a game today.

Well by the same token I would argue there isn't really anything wrong with NS2's core gameplay, it's just gotten stale. Many of the biggest changes NS2 made from NS1 (alien comm, infestation, marine PRes) weren't objectively better either, just different. But you need to do something different to revive the interest of players who have moved on.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Well by the same token I would argue there isn't really anything wrong with NS2's core gameplay, it's just gotten stale. Many of the biggest changes NS2 made from NS1 (alien comm, infestation, marine PRes) weren't objectively better either, just different. But you need to do something different to revive the interest of players who have moved on.

Change the game just for changing may not be the best option either.