HDD to SDD helps FPS?

Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
I've heard that switching Ns2 from HDD to SDD helps with gameplay? Is this true, and if it is, how do I do it?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think it would help with gameplay, especially after the fast loading patch. All an SSD would really do for you is allow you to play sooner by loading the game faster. It will also have textures load in faster, so there would not be any pop in textures, but I am not sure that is an issue anymore after the fast loading patch.

I hope this is what you are looking for when you ask how to "do it."
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    It only helps with stuttering if you are literally too low on GPU memory and system memory. Other than that, it does nothing for FPS.

And on a kinda similar sidenote... The same goes for those new 3-4Gb cards (or 6-8Gb cards). They are kinda a waste of money if you're only playing at 1080p. The frames will get rendered way too fast for the card to have to make use of it's full memory

Both are two of the most common myths about FPS increase.. Thinking that it should increase FPS when in fact it only helps if you're already running out of memory. Or in case of the GPU memory, running at least at 4K resolutions.

As @Nordic mentioned, it will definitely help with load times, but not with run times if you're at or above recommended specs
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    When I first got an SSD, all I did was just install my games on it... didn't bother switching over my OS until just a few days ago when I upgraded to Windows 10.
    (Side note: yes, you CAN activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7 or 8 key... knowing that would've saved me about 5 hours...)
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members