November UPDATE

LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
So... the big question is, will we have an update this month or NOTTTTT (again) looking at the trello i still see many things in the doing and to do list... will it be this month i go back to playing SN or not?

PS... and dont tell me we already had an update cuz that wasnt a decent update...it was like a little snack you eat when dinner is late.

Comments

• WeirdWizardDaveWeirdWizardDave Edinburgh Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203358Members
    Maybe they're saving stuff up for a bigger Christmas update ;)
  • EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    Maybe they're saving stuff up for a bigger Christmas update ;)
    That's a possibility.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're updating the main steam version differently from now on, we're going to do smaller faster updates like the Water Filtration machine.

The 'experimental' steam beta version will get our daily updates until they are ready to go into the main branch.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're updating the main steam version differently from now on, we're going to do smaller faster updates like the Water Filtration machine.

The 'experimental' steam beta version will get our daily updates until they are ready to go into the main branch.

if u are going to do smaller and more frequent updates i hope u make it so we dont have to start a new gave every time...like B4.
    thats why ive been waiting for the new update to start playing again...so can i start to play and not have my game ruin whit the next update??????
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Linfoma wrote: »
    if u are going to do smaller and more frequent updates i hope u make it so we dont have to start a new gave every time...like B4.
    thats why ive been waiting for the new update to start playing again...so can i start to play and not have my game ruin whit the next update??????

We always try to make sure that any saved game made with the regular steam version of Subnautica (not the experimental beta version) works fine. However, being Early Access our game is in full development and we will break things from time to time. But we'll always do our best to try to not break saved games.

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    So... the big question is, will we have an update this month or NOTTTTT (again) looking at the trello i still see many things in the doing and to do list... will it be this month i go back to playing SN or not?

PS... and dont tell me we already had an update cuz that wasnt a decent update...it was like a little snack you eat when dinner is late.

i don't think you understand how hard it is to code and program.... neither do i..... but you're kinda being rude and please respect the devs they do what they can....
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Looking at the stuff going on, on the trello. . . . .your definitely gonna need a full sized update to include the new fragment mechanics.
    lussebull wrote: »

i don't think you understand how hard it is to code and program.... neither do i..... but you're kinda being rude and please respect the devs they do what they can....

im sorry mister sensitive girl but i just asked a question many ppl wanted to know maybe even you...since i bought the game im permitted to asked about it´s updates ( i think)
    and next time plz feel free to stay quiet, dont come to other ppls post acting like a #########, no one here needs you to defend them much less the devs.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    i don't think you understand how hard it is to code and program.... neither do i....

Me either. It amazes me how, when a bug comes in for, say, the builder not being gripped in the hand correctly, how they know what code to look at to fix it and how they fix it. Truly amazing.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members

I don't think the original post is rude or disrespectful. This particular update has been significantly delayed. The devs have acknowledged that and changed their approach to handling updates because of it. The water filtration device update really was a tiny (though significant) update.

But I do think the original post is ignorant and or inaccurate. In those two small recent updates we actually did get most of what was due in the much delayed H20 update. Pretty much everything except the new water graphics.

So dinner isn't really late. It just came minus the fries.
  • EntomoligistEntomoligist United States Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206958Members
    Not a big update? You have to be joking. The new water, sky, and moon probably was the whole update, which I think is completely worth it. So even though it wasn't big, it sure was an AWESOME update. I mean, come on. The game looks much nicer.
    New water? Aren't they still working on that? There was no mention of it in the update release posts.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Halios wrote: »
    New water? Aren't they still working on that? There was no mention of it in the update release posts.

You're discussing two different builds: Standard and Experimental. The monthly "Stardard" build update has not gotten the water and lighting updates yet. The more frequently, but buggier "Experiental" build has. It will eventually make it to the Standard build, once they've worked most the bugs out of it.
    well i only play survival...dont like experimental or the other modes...so i dont see the new and buggy stuff that comes out in experimental...i like it to feel real and worth the effort...when spotted this game i immediately fell in love whit it...already tried ARK and that zombi crap game and didnt like the feel of it or the grafics/macanics/etc ...

AND i stop playing SN after seamoth update cuz i had already done everything gone everywhere and was bored out of my skull after so many hours gaming... so yes i am a little impatient to have updates to go play an see more biomes more tech etc ....i wish they would put today a years worth of updates, but i know thats not going to happen so i just want the montly ones to come out like they should ...

ps...got really happy whit the info from devs that future updates wont always ruin saved games (hope is never)...starting all over again makes ppl leave for good or wait some moths till a lot of content is put in to go back...generaly they just lose interest, so its progress.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    well i only play survival...dont like experimental or the other modes...so i dont see the new and buggy stuff that comes out in experimental...

It's not a mode within the game. When you installed the game you were given a choice between the standard game or the experimental version. The Standard mode gets fewer patches, but they are larger and typically more stable. The Experimental version gets more frequent, but smaller updates that include a lot of the new stuff the Devs are trying out. It tends to be more buggy and aimed more at alpha testing then gameplay.
  • Monkey_MacMonkey_Mac Join Date: 2015-11-10 Member: 209147Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    i don't think you understand how hard it is to code and program.... neither do i....

Me either. It amazes me how, when a bug comes in for, say, the builder not being gripped in the hand correctly, how they know what code to look at to fix it and how they fix it. Truly amazing.

Well if the bug is easily replaceable it's actually pretty easy.

Furthermore if your code is well designed and documented you can usually just search for the relevant action.

The amount of times I have found erroneous code by searching for "buggy action"action.Java is satisfyingly high. :smiley:
    You're discussing two different builds: Standard and Experimental.

Not me - or anyone else except here entomologist, who piped up claiming the new water update had been released.
    ps...got really happy whit the info from devs that future updates wont always ruin saved games (hope is never)...starting all over again makes ppl leave for good or wait some moths till a lot of content is put in to go back...generaly they just lose interest, so its progress.

Progress? This isn't a change. They've never gone out of their way to ruin old saves but sometimes new stuff just isn't compatible with them.

Halios wrote: »
    You're discussing two different builds: Standard and Experimental.

Not me - or anyone else except here entomologist, who piped up claiming the new water update had been released.

Progress? This isn't a change. They've never gone out of their way to ruin old saves but sometimes new stuff just isn't compatible with them.

well but it happend and it was hard to have to start all over again when you already had spent many hours of farming mats and buildind bases and other stuff.
    it happen to me in the seamoth update the game even had a message in red saying it was preferable to start a new game or i wouldn't see many of the new stuff...thats why i just played for a week just to see the new stuff and quiet cuz it was a draggg to have to start all over again in next update
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    yay more frequent updates
    well but it happend and it was hard to have to start all over again when you already had spent many hours of farming mats and buildind bases and other stuff.
    it happen to me in the seamoth update the game even had a message in red saying it was preferable to start a new game or i wouldn't see many of the new stuff...thats why i just played for a week just to see the new stuff and quiet cuz it was a draggg to have to start all over again in next update

So? It's early access. They can't keep adding new stuff to the game - which they must since it's incomplete - without occasionally creating a potential conflict which necessitates a new game.

It's also a non-issue for Subnautica. For two reasons.

1) Explore and get to know where everything is and new games don't take "many hours" to get started. First time you play sure, but not on repeats because you know precisely where everything is. I start new games and have seamoth, cyclops, moon pool etc. all sorted in a couple of hours. Build your first base on the border of biomes and most of the materials in the game are right outside your door.

2) There's the console.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands

If you feel cheated by updates which require starting a new game, cheat the game right back and give yourself back everything you lost. You then only need to spend a little time placing your base modules.
  • EpicIan60142EpicIan60142 Illinois Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207263Members
    I know this is kinda unrelated, but will a computer (or laptop) with a 1TB SATA hard drive, an AMD Radeon R5 graphics card, and 8GB RAM work for Subnautica?