NS2 Freeze crash after joining a team (after 2-10seconds)

Airwolf_sweAirwolf_swe Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-15 Member: 190114Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So I have this weird crash happened somewhere around when Windows 10 was launched. (somewhere around august 2015)
The game ran fine before this happened. Occasionally this happens maybe once every 2nd day. if I play everyday.

Crash (step by step):
I enter a server, can jump around in readyroom for however long time I want no problem (10-15min)
but when I enter any team marine or alien after 2-10seconds game freeze. and then I have to manually shut it down from task manager.
Anyway whenever I restart the NS2 game this freeze crash NEVER happen again.

Other info:
I also usually always play on wooza 42player server, im not sure if this happened on other server but maybe this crash also occurred on thirsty onos server.

How I need to restart from this freeze crash:
So I go to taskmanager and the NS2 are still up and made the entire screen black so I have to fool around in the dark with task manager to use up and down arrow and enter key to close the game. The NS2 debugg window also show up but its also all black and when I press enter i just say sending (when I use win+ tab key). Also Alt+f4 dosn't shut down the frozen game window.

I suspect:
Nvidia driver, NS2, Maybe game cant handle wooza huge server, defect ram (although I don't have any other crashes even If I play other game and run alot of programs)

This happens in:
Win 8.1 64bit
Win 10 64bit
latest Nvidia driver, tried maybe 3 different ones thats been released. all new at the time.

Running on Win10, GeForce 460 GTX, 8Gb ram,

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2015
    Looks like you're running a beta driver or one of those hotfix drivers from Nvidia.
    Try updating to the latest WHQL driver here http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/95553 and see if the problem persists.

Try a smaller server as well
    Try typing verbose 3 in the console before connecting, and then when you crash see if you have any new errors that show up in your log.

If it still occurs, please run techsupport.exe with NS2 still open even if its a black screen.
    It _should_ create a very large zip file containing a dump for us to anaylze. Link it here after uploading it somewhere.