Workshop and server difficulties

ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
Modding ns2 has become a pain in the bum because of the following reasons:

Red plugging when I run a listen server resulting in rubber banding. Every single time I run a listen server I get this whether I am running vanilla, -game mod, or even -mods so that other people can test also.

Workshop is continually an "effing cannot" where I will successfully publish a new mod but it will upload another mod that I've made. Sometimes clearing cache solves this. When it does finally publish the correct mod it will usually run fine in a listen server that people join and it works for them, but when running a dedicated server you get the problem of files not matching and to verify cache. What file it fails on consistency is not always the same. The dedicated server does have the correct mod loaded as I check it.

It never used to be this difficult and rage inducing to run mods. Mostly I was looking to see if other people have had similar issues or if there are known issues and or easy solutions.

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ^concur, sometimes i'll upload a test mod and it uploads another mod, Would also be nice to review some mods on the workshop to allow them to bypass consistency all together such as skins that don't affect gameplay. Thatway you spur a healthy modding atmosphere.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    I can confirm the weird publishing behaviours. Allthough i haven't had any issues since 6 months now with publishing. I always use the rebuild function before i publish. This solves the issue of Steam creating a new Mod instead updating the existing ones.

You can disable consistency checking on a dedicated server if you want to test your mod:

Change in ServerConfig.json: "consistency_enabled":true, to false.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    yes, workshop has always been a pain like this. But I also heard it has become a lot worse.
    It just is being a utter pain in publishing.

havent had to try the rebuild option yet, so I will keep that in mind for if I do. Thankfully I dont need to update my non code mods a lot.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh I knew this crap wouldn't just be me. I have to flush out my workshop cache every time I start NS2, or can't join any server due to inconsistent game data even though the workshop delivered these mods.

After flushing the cache I can (usually) join any server until I close NS2, then it needs another flush.