Survival Mode: Metabolic Rate too high

AkiranBladeAkiranBlade UK Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208462Members
edited October 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi all,

I wanted to great this post by way of an introduction of myself. So hi everyone :) I do YouTube videos, and I've just started a series on Subnautica, which I'm really enjoying. (check out my channel, subscriptions are very much appreciated! :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXcXB6zOq4&list=PLxYmZ6BcXGZ0o0O1SY7x99Wc9xRIj44M- )

This may have been suggested previously, but, I find the need for eating and drinking seems to detract from the exploration and building a little too much. It would be cool if:

a) Water Consumption was reduced by about 35%
b) Food Consumption was reduced by about 15-20%
c) Make Airsack population much greater (I managed to decimate my nearest colony and none re-spawned :( )

Does anyone agree, or am I missing something?

Anyhow, just a thought.

Thanks for reading,

{aB;}

Comments

• AkiranBladeAkiranBlade UK Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208462Members
    edited October 2015
    Hmm, I wasn't intending to embed the video, is there a way to make it just a link? Thanks for your help in advance.

Nevermind, I sorted it :)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I agree. I don't play survival mode as the food/water consumption rate is so unrealistic, and it's something that many survival games get wrong. It seems that as soon as you take your fill of water and/or food, the values start dropping right away, and so you spend half your time worrying about food and water. This detracts from the game in my opinion.
  • Prince_ErebusPrince_Erebus USA Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204521Members
    A day passes in about five minutes, I don't think the hunger rate is too steep at all, not to mention food is abundant, as is water. I don't see the problem here....
    I've found water to actually not be that abundant at all. Day night cycle I considered to be alien, how much I move/swim is pretty much normal, yet having to feed and drink at a much higher rate than irl. :)
    OK, so I've figured out the bleach thing, so water isn't quite as much of a problem as it was. I do maintain that the water and consumption level would be better a bit less though :)
  • smackumzsmackumz US Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208465Members
    OK, so I've figured out the bleach thing, so water isn't quite as much of a problem as it was. I do maintain that the water and consumption level would be better a bit less though :)

I would also suggest the stillsuit or whatever it is, periodically it gives you some reclaimed water and helps you stay hydrated.
    Yeah, kinda holding off on that until I've been into the Aurora.
  • BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    I agree ... we have to eat and drink too much .... when i go in exploration i'm often hungry and thirsty ... When i decide to make a long journey or construction i have to organize too much (food water) ....

sorry for my english .... bye
  • Mr_Rieper7Mr_Rieper7 South Africa Join Date: 2015-11-16 Member: 209299Members
    The player should be able to construct a "lunch box" that gives a food and water slot that can be nibbled on when the hunger and thirst get below 75% to save some space and micro.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    I think the values are not too far off from perfect. I'd say that both food and water should drop 15-20% slower.
  • BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    Or that hunger happens less quickly depending on the type of fish you eat

Some fishes give you 10mn ... anothers give you 5mn .. or 20mn ...

Or prepare stuffs more caloric ... fish + flowers + oil + .... a kind of blueprint to prepare

(sorry for my english)

bye

• StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    I think the current values are fine. If they were any lower , there would be little use for cured fish recipes as you would always eat at your base. Of course , fish still need a respawn mechanic. I suppose higher tier food to save space could also work , altho a cured peeper refills a third of the hunger bar already - you never need more than two.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    @Stakhanov - I agree.

SN gives you a bit of a worry very early game (first 30 minutes), which is fine given that the game mode says "Survival". Then, you build one or two desalinization units, and a couple solar collectors, and never worry about water again. And with unlimited salt as well, all you have to do is spend 15 minutes capturing a few dozen peepers, after which you have enough food to last for many hours of gameplay.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    At the moment I worry more about food. Those are big fishies you eat and you need a lot to stay alive.
    Water I care about a lot less.
    You go from airsack to the bigger water which needs bleach. At this point you probably will swim around in a wetsuit collecting water also. From that you go to the power hungry unit which gives you plenty water.