Creature Concept: Sperm Whale Bass Cannon

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
edited October 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
If you don't think this is the tightest shit get out of my face.

Fun+fact+about+those+sperm+whales+_c97331bc0cca1989e39b5f9f615a225c.jpg

So I was looking up random stuff about sperm whales when I happened across this.
The whale’s powerful radar may be able to do more than just locate its prey. Scientists have found smaller and faster prey in the whale’s stomach, and they don’t show bite marks. How does this lumbering giant catch them?

One possibility is that the sound pulses focused through the huge head stun the fish and make them easy prey: in other words the spermaceti organ is the focus for an acoustic stun gun. Scientists are proposing to attach cameras and data recorders to the heads of the whales to test this hypothesis.

I have a hunch that this might be the Crabsquid's main form of attack, due to it's equally giant head and the cloud like hitbox of its projectile.
1000?cb=20150312222001

But, if this turns out to not be the case, and it attacks with like, psychic mind pulses or something, I'd like for there to be a massive creature with a similar means of attack as the Sperm Whale.

Maybe a full grown Reefback could resonate its vocalization chamber and create a powerful stun blast around it to ward off predators. Or a giant transparent, ghost like whale could use it to stun its smaller, faster prey. (I.e. You)

Whaddyathink? Pretty cool huh?
Really I'm just stoked that the Sperm Whale has a Bass Cannon in its head.

Comments

• ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Please no more creatures trying to eat me or kill me. I've had enough of them
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

Bass Cannon Whale could definitely be peaceful, but just have a weapon to hunt its preferred prey, which would be smaller fish. Only way you'd get blasted was if you were in front of it, or near its head when it used the attack.

Sorta like the Gasopods, but it generally doesn't give two shits about you and only wants to eat.
  • VariellaVariella California Join Date: 2015-09-29 Member: 208219Members

Personally I'd like more creatures trying to eat or kill me, but since I understand not everyone's into that sort of survival I hope they put in a 'peaceful' gamemode. That way everyone gets to enjoy the game's creatures.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    I like Leonhardt's idea of it using it as a defense mechanism against the player, but otherwise not give a hoot. We have enough large creatures in the works that will be actively aggressive as it is.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I like Leonhardt's idea of it using it as a defense mechanism against the player, but otherwise not give a hoot. We have enough large creatures in the works that will be actively aggressive as it is.

This.

I mean, I'm all for the idea of a bunch of stuff that wants to kill you... as long as the ratio is logical. What sense would an ecosystem make with 500 predators and 1 prey creature? None at all. So, I'm fine with as many aggressive creatures as they want... as long as there are at least that many passive ones.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members

What about a bright flash?
    And with your suggestion combined, they are captain pla a flashbang!
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Maybe if the big beast uses it to stun you so it can run away then I'd be okay with that. If there are going to be dangerous fish I don't want them all trying to kill me. If they're able to kill me but only in defense if I get too close to them or harm them then that'll work for me. Having a way to defend yourself if you accidentally get too close wouldn't hurt.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    I mean, I'm all for the idea of a bunch of stuff that wants to kill you... as long as the ratio is logical. What sense would an ecosystem make with 500 predators and 1 prey creature? None at all. So, I'm fine with as many aggressive creatures as they want... as long as there are at least that many passive ones.

to be honest there are a lot of herbivore species in the game but mostly small fish like the spadefish. the ratio so far makes a lot of sense

edited October 2015
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    the ratio so far makes a lot of sense

I beg to differ.
    Passive side:
    • Airsack
    • Boomerang
    • Eyeye
    • Floater
    • Garryfish
    • Holefish
    • Hoopfish
    • Hoverfish
    • Jellyray
    • Jumper
    • Oculus
    • Peeper
    • Rabbitray
    • Reefback
    • Reginald
    • Rockgrub
    • Skyray
    • Spadefish

Aggressive side:
    • Biter Fish
    • Bleeder
    • Bone Shark
    • Cave Crawler
    • Crash
    • Gaspopod
    • Mesmer
    • Reaper Leviathan
    • Sandshark
    • Stalker

That's 10 aggressive versus 18 passive. Meaning, there are less than twice as many prey fish as there are predator. In a realistic ecosystem, that simply makes no sense. And seeing as all of the current "in-production" fauna, with the one exception of the Cute Fish, are aggressive, it would add up to more aggressive than passive creatures. And that simply doesn't make sense. Imagine a super-simplified ecosystem, say with 1 species of prey (deer) and two species of predator (wolves and bears, for instance). There simply wouldn't be enough food to support the entire ecosystem. It would collapse in on itself.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    @The_Shark That would depend on the passive population numbers. The way the deer bread around my area, the wolves and Bear would grow fat.

That said, I largely agree with you.
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    Why not mount it on the Cyclops in place of the horn? Area effect around the Cyclops would stun smaller nearby fish and temporarily scares away the larger ones. Any large aquatic life caught in the direct path of the sound wave would be stunned (much like the smaller animals). Make it an upgrade module for the sub horn (DNA from the Reefback). When equipped, a holographic targeting display pops up when driving the sub and a recharge meter. It could even cost 1pt of power for every blast to minimize overuse.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited October 2015
    Why not mount it on the Cyclops in place of the horn? Area effect around the Cyclops would stun smaller nearby fish and temporarily scares away the larger ones. Any large aquatic life caught in the direct path of the sound wave would be stunned (much like the smaller animals). Make it an upgrade module for the sub horn (DNA from the Reefback). When equipped, a holographic targeting display pops up when driving the sub and a recharge meter. It could even cost 1pt of power for every blast to minimize overuse.

Because we're talking about a whale, or other giant creature.
    Not a cyclops weapon.

Also @The_Shark Mesmers aren't passive. They'll dazzle you and try to bite your face.
    Also @The_Shark Mesmers aren't passive. They'll dazzle you and try to bite your face.

They dazzle you, that I knew. But, what I didn't know is that they bite your face. In which case, I shall edit that.