Farming, Rivers, & More Future Stuff - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageFarming, Rivers, & More Future Stuff - Subnautica

Several weeks have passed since the Seamoth Update, and Subnautica development continues at full speed. Major updates are arriving on a roughly monthly basis at the moment. While it will...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ThePharaohThePharaoh Egypt Join Date: 2015-08-26 Member: 207493Members
    This is awesome work guys!!! I can't wait to make more videos with more content!
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    >Sea Treader taking a giant dump
    >also it can attack, and it'll probably attack you

• TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    Farming and stackable fish tanks?
    Shut up and take .... oh you already took my money .... well I will just wait then :D

But someday I will want the giant reefback with an actual reef on it's back!
  • P.KermanP.Kerman Join Date: 2015-09-16 Member: 207982Members
    edited September 2015
    This looks great! I can’t wait to see it in action. The aquarium looks especially cool. One suggestions though: a bottom and a ceiling window for the basic room, already cool on their own, they would work great with an aquarium. So if you don’t continue an aquarium into the room above you can have a glass floor looking into the aquarium from above. If you do continue you can place a ceiling window and look out into the sea from the aquarium and have daylight enter the aquarium. Oh and a hatch in the bottom of the room (with glass around) to enter and exit the aquarium from above might also work and probably be very helpful for luring creatures into the aquarium and surviving. Also the connection to the outside should not repeat on every floor so on the second floor you can walk all around the aquarium. Maybe even a way to remove the ceiling between rooms so you can have a double height room with a double aquarium in the middle and a spiral staircase up to the third floor where you have a bottom window into the aquarium and a ceiling window for daylight to enter.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    This all looks great.
    Its exactly why I play subnautica in waves. I play a while, then wait a while for new stuff, and play a while.
    And its awesome.

I am a bit sceptic about the aquarium. Not because I do not like aquariums, but because it seems so small. Yes we can stack then vertical, but still. Would we potentially want animals like stalkers in such a small room.
    Personally id argue that even a room like the biggest room we have right now is to small, but thats me. :)
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    does anyone think that skull look's like the sea emperor's head?
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    kingkuma wrote: »

How does this look like the sea emperor? the sea emperor has a "beak" like mouth and a very small head compared to the body while this thing has a massive head and a giant teeth filled mouth.
  • ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    kingkuma wrote: »

How does this look like the sea emperor? the sea emperor has a "beak" like mouth and a very small head compared to the body while this thing has a massive head and a giant teeth filled mouth.

...look like yo mamma...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This all looks great.
    I am a bit sceptic about the aquarium. Not because I do not like aquariums, but because it seems so small. Yes we can stack then vertical, but still. Would we potentially want animals like stalkers in such a small room.
    Personally id argue that even a room like the biggest room we have right now is to small, but thats me. :)

I always thought the farming/aquariums would be outdoor things, maybe a 'forcefield' fence for keeping fish in etc, never thought we were going to be keeping the farms indoors. Seems a bit weird, considering we are in the sea, to go to all the hassle of catching creatures to breed inside our environment.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Personally id argue that even a room
    I always thought the farming/aquariums would be outdoor things, maybe a 'forcefield' fence for keeping fish in etc, never thought we were going to be keeping the farms indoors. Seems a bit weird, considering we are in the sea, to go to all the hassle of catching creatures to breed inside our environment.

I love the idea of an aqarium for the study of larger animals, but I too kind of pictured an outdoor dome that would be connectable to our existing units (we could add a stasis to the Seamoth to capture and place into aquarium). Although I can see the smaller, indoor unit viable for small to medium fish kept for food.

Regardless, I love the creativity of the team and this update looks exciting.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

Why on earth would it ever be outside?
    You catch the creatures to put them in breeding tanks, so A, predators don't eat them, and B, they don't swim away.

This is how actual fish hatcheries work.
  • UnatanUnatan California Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 208002Members
    Soo sad! read through the whole post and am very sad (but excited) for one reason:

"few more weeks until the next update"

/cry
  • P.KermanP.Kerman Join Date: 2015-09-16 Member: 207982Members
    edited September 2015

You catch the creatures to put them in breeding tanks, so A, predators don't eat them, and B, they don't swim away.

That is true but for saltwater fish they also seperate sections of the sea with nets to create pens in the water and there are other concepts for fish farms in the open sea:
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-09/19/aquapod-sustainable-fish-farm
    http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/08/the-future-of-fish-farming-is-giant-autonomous-roaming-robotic-cages/
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Waiting for final release... boring, but nice to see a working exosuit
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    Awesome! I want I want I want!

This article could not be better crafted to get my excitement flowing again.

I want all of these things like now. Especially the water filtration, farming, and the large aquarium room. That aquarium room, especially looks like it could allow for farming of Stalker teeth, which would be just the best thing ever.

But the Lost River biome looks so amazing too.

I want all the things, but here I am, forcing myself to be patient. ... ... How about now?

Seriously, keep up the amazing work, if this is the way things are heading and what can be expected down the road. I'm so excited.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Its nice to see they're actually working on large things you can build in your base. Right now there's not really any point in building a large base other than for fun.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    This all looks great.

Well we are going to be having eggs in the game, that way we can use these special aquariums to protect and analyze the fish.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2015

Yes, um... hatcheries are outside too. Guess what, so are farms.
    hatchery.jpg

Row-Crops-for-Gallery.jpg

Why on earth would would you ask why on earth they'd be outside?

Growing plants/fish indoors for commercial or sustainable purposes is really only reasonable/justifiable when:
    A. Outdoor space does not allow for appropriate functionality
    B. Outdoor space is threatened/susceptible to theft
    C. Temperature limitations/seasonal limitations prevent appropriate sustainability

Otherwise, it's difficult to harvest for profit. So I would agree w/ @soulrider in that I would have expected those features to be at least near if not at the surface. Underwater farms really dont work IRL as obviously the power needed to provide the light required for photosynthesis would be absurd when light is available for freeeeee at the surface.

Within the world of Subnautica, I can see how the limited amount of land mass may force farming down below, but IMO it really doesnt make sense to not use the sun to farm (whether above or below surface). Perhaps something like a tubular skylight like used in homes could be implemented to bring light to pelagic and benthic areas to save on energy needs. This is used in aquarium keeping (marine and fresh), as well as to bring light to very internal areas in a home.
    traditional.jpg

fishtank.jpg
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Will we be able to put connectors on the tops and bottoms of rooms? Or build corridors from all 8 sides?
  • VariellaVariella California Join Date: 2015-09-29 Member: 208219Members
    -Drools everywhere- :F so...so shiny......

*Ahem* Excuse me. Couldn't quite contain my excitement there. The Subnautica team is fantastic. Seriously, I can't even words right now I'm so in awe of the directions this game is taking. Heck, I'm in awe of the game as it is right now! Its all the fantastic little details that make this the most satisfying thing I've ever played. The welcome and status messages when you board your base or a vessel are just so gratifying. I puff out my chest and grin stupidly every time I get called 'Captain' by a robot voice.

And now you're telling me there's more soon?!?!

Somebody hold me I think I might faint.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    edited September 2015
    judging by your avatar you already did

(or you need to check your pants)
  • Warpig1331Warpig1331 Ohio Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207951Members
    Just wanted to add before heading off to bed, Love all the work so far guys! Keep it up.

......... On a side note: I really need to stop checking the the site before going to bed. Last night I had a killer dream I was underwater in a amusement park type place and a Crabsnake started chasing me. Lol
  • DRxShockzDRxShockz US Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206879Members
    love these designs, and ideas, keep up the great work guys
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    I really hope those vibrant bioluminescence like colors in that concept art are seen in game, it just adds so much life to the scene.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • XmanitorXmanitor Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208085Members
    SWWWWWEEET Can't wait to see ALL of this in game!!! HOLY CRAP I'M SO HYPED!
  • TysohalTysohal Germany Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207819Members
    Will we be able to build stacked quarium rooms without a floor between them so that we can use our new shiny spiral stairs for continously admiring the fish from top to bottom?
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    Hyped beyond possible... I just need to forget.. For few more weeks...xD
    Tysohal wrote: »
    Will we be able to build stacked quarium rooms without a floor between them so that we can use our new shiny spiral stairs for continously admiring the fish from top to bottom?

I hope so! But from the concepts it seems very plausible (the vertical stacking). It would be both practical and aesthetic.