[Linux] Key repeat problem

develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
When you hold a key to show the map, it constantly flashes.

Earlier (previous build and maybe with Ubuntu 14.04) there was a workaround by disabling 'Key repeat' in the desktop environment settings.

Now disabling 'Key repeat' doesn't fix the problem completely: the 'current position' arrow on the map stays big.
61edb31deb72833490c288b32cfae5.png

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Does this happen with any other key ingame? i can't come up with an example, but it might help investigating the issue. Or is it just the map?
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited September 2015
    For example a Tab menu: it shows fine, but when I try to get a popup menu (by clicking with the mouse), the popup menu appears just for a split second. So it's not possible to click on it and open a profile of the player.

Voiceover menu, tech tree, taunt/ammo/med, construction are fine. They aren't blinking.

Flashlight uses the 'key repeat' logic. So, it starts blinking on/off if the key is held. (don't care about that; either way is ok)

Pistol doesn't repeat if the key is held.

My previous thread with this problem (there were also some other possibly related issues): http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136521/linux-bug-report-overlays-in-273-map-and-big-position-cursor-marine-hud-squares-on-tab#latest
  • strycorestrycore Los Angeles Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208535Members
    I can confirm the issue on Ubuntu 15.10, it happens with all keys that need to be hold down:
    (x, c, e, Tab and maybe some other ones).
    Tried disabling Keyboard repeat in the system preferences but that didn't change anything.
    I don't know if it matters at all but my keyboard is plugged on a PS/2 port.
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2015
    No issue with this on Arch Linux. Probably ubuntu specific?
  • strycorestrycore Los Angeles Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208535Members
    edited October 2015
    Thanks, switching from ibus to xim does fix the issue!
    Hope this gets patched because akaif ibus is the default input method shipped with Ubuntu.

Update: Switching to xim seems to have broken the Compose key which is a deal breaker for me. I'll try exporting the GTK_IM_MODULE variable for the game only and see how that works.

Update 2: I've switched to uim instead of xim (needs to be installed first). This seems to be a good workaround, I have both my Compose key and NS2 working properly.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited October 2015
    I will try if i can repro with ibus one of these days. Reproing is always the first step to a fix :)
    rkfg wrote: »
    export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim

Thank you.

NS2 adaptation script grows.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    strycore wrote: »
    Update: Switching to xim seems to have broken the Compose key which is a deal breaker for me. I'll try exporting the GTK_IM_MODULE variable for the game only and see how that works.

Update 2: I've switched to uim instead of xim (needs to be installed first). This seems to be a good workaround, I have both my Compose key and NS2 working properly.
    XIM actually supports Compose quite well. Probably you can't configure it from the system GUI but you can use setxkbmap for that purpose. Here's a part of my ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsessionrc in DEs):
    setxkbmap -option
    setxkbmap -option "compose:menu,grp:caps_toggle,lv3:ralt_switch,grp_led:scroll,misc:typo" -layout "us,ru"

First line resets any options that might have been set by other scripts and the second configures keys and layouts. If you only use English layout it'll be even simpler. I agree, it's not quite convenient from the user's point of view but it's most compatible from my experience.

@Asraniel, we now have two cases, the @devel 's case is key repeating and my friend's case is keyboard controls falling off after Alt-Tabbing or (not sure) after reconnect. He had controls working in the sandbox, then he joined our server and only mouse worked, he couldn't even open the main menu with Esc. Maybe he also Alt-Tabbed between the sandbox and the server, he doesn't remember.
    edited October 2015
    Yes, the keyboard falls off sometimes too.
    Thx for the detailed analysis. Maybe changing the X input method will help me reproduce.

I use KDE, so i wonder if thats somehow related
  • cheshire_mousecheshire_mouse Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216214Members
    any progress on the subject?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @cheshire_mouse Have you tried the suggested solutions in this thread already?
    This solution is a temporary workaround and not a permanent fix.
    Tuning OS this way for the only game doesn't look like a good idea.
    Well, using proprietary software isn't a good idea in the first place.
  • OkaboreOkabore Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9505Members
    Considering xim seems to be pretty much obsolete a more permanent and better fix would be appreciated. ibus apparently default on ubuntu so this is an issue everyone on ubuntu will have.
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/260601/understanding-setting-up-different-input-methods
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I ran into this as well. It wasn't always like this though, so I'm curious what update caused the issues.
    GaidinTS wrote: »
    I ran into this as well. It wasn't always like this though, so I'm curious what update caused the issues.

We can find out the build number. I've posted this topic just after the change.

(but several previous builds were workaraundable by disabling the key repeat)
    May be someone can clarify the situation and tell if this bug is going to be fixed (some day, may be in a distant future), or it is already moved to the "won't fix" box ?