The Sinking Sub

DuckrollDuckroll Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207674Members
So I took my Cyclops to ~190 feet and then dove out the hatch. When I came back, alarms were going off everywhere because it had sunk a little more past the 200 max depth and had a bunch of breaches.

First thing I did was go to the controls to rise it above 200 feet so no more breaches would spawn, but it refused to go up.

Then I tried running and repairing all the breaches instead, but the whack a mole game was impossible as more appeared whenever I repaired one.

I eventually drowned horribly and deleted my savegame, luckily I had a backup from about 15 minutes prior.

So my question is, is there any way to break the endless cycle of breaching and sinking? It seems like they cause one another in a deadly spiral. I tried to shut off compartments as I cleared them, thinking it might suck the air out of them if I did, but had no luck with that either.

It also seems like once the sub has begun sinking there's no way to ever recover it.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Go up higher before you start repairing.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    Don't ever park it where the sea floor is below 200m, not until you can get some hull upgrades in place.

Because below 200m, repair is unlikely. Between 100-200m repair is possible.

I had one time where I had my sub sitting about 140m down, sea floor was only something like 150 and change. Sub develops breaches and floods, but because it can't sink below 200 I repaired it and was able to get it floating again.

As you found, if the sub gets too flooded, it isn't able to go up.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Eventually the cyclops should implode from the damage once it reaches a certain depth. Would be cool to see the bubble glass cracking then imploding killing you if still inside.
  • StetilleStetille Join Date: 2012-07-13 Member: 154099Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Attach floaters to it!
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    This happened to me once too. I have upgrades that allow me to take it down to 1000m, but I was brave and took it down to 1003m. I went for a swim outside and suddenly heard the alarms. I jumped back in to find lots of leaks and the sub sinking further. The further it sank the more leaks developed. I tried to drive it upwards to ward the surface but there were too many leaks, which cause more water which cause the sub to sink further, which causes more leaks and more water ingress. It's a never ending cycle and one you can't drive the sub upwards to remedy. I just waited until it imploded and then reloaded the game and was careful not to make the same mistake. >.<
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Eventually the cyclops should implode from the damage once it reaches a certain depth. Would be cool to see the bubble glass cracking then imploding killing you if still inside.

I want this. For the Seamoth too. There should be three depths instead of two: a safe depth, below which you take damage from collisions; a crush depth, below which you simply take damage over time; and an implosion depth, below which the entire sub should simply implode, resulting in absolute destruction of the sub and anything inside. In reality, below a certain depth, if a sub is breached it will simply implode like a ball of tinfoil.