My submarine for a map!

BrieyaBrieya Las Vegas, NV Join Date: 2015-06-12 Member: 205419Members
I know it has been suggested before, and not asking for a perfect game map. I just want to be able to create my own map of some sort. This would be great. Using the beacons become cumbersome and fill up the view since we cannot turn them off from our view screen. I have misplaced a number of bases due to not wanting to see nothing but beacon screams all over my screen. Building land markers with the transformer seems to lag out the rezzing in of the landscape. It is really frustrating to not have a way to have your computer set up a personal map marker for where you left items or found something to review later. It doesn't have to be a 3D map maker. Just having a cyber page to see your location from a set up beacon meant for map making. Measure out distance, icon for caves, mushroom forest, etc. It could be the simplest rendering due to the fact the AI you are working with has limited resources until upgrades come later (through questing or developers' design). Please give me a way to map, please!

Comments

• Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
    in my opinion that would kill the mood
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Well we are supposed to be terraforming the land, and the devs had a map in the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if we have to map out everything in the future
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    Well, I saw an idea related to a command console in sea bases. Maybe players could switch beacons on/off there, thus clearing your screen of all those annoying signals.
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    I'd rather have some sort of compass.
  • Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
    Mr Moe wrote: »
    I'd rather have some sort of compass.

they already have a compass
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    Whoops then i didn't find it yet. Ignore me pls :)
  • Wiz33Wiz33 USA Join Date: 2015-09-01 Member: 207645Members
    How hard is it to allow you to mark coordinates on your data pad. If not automatic updates as you explore, at least let us mark point of interest without having to drop a beacon at every location.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Wiz33 wrote: »
    How hard is it to allow you to mark coordinates on your data pad. If not automatic updates as you explore, at least let us mark point of interest without having to drop a beacon at every location.

This.

I mean sure, keep the beacons to mark bases and stuff, but to just mark cool caves, have your datapad be able to note the location, then have a system to guide you back there. That way you don't have half of a billion white circles blinking at you all the time.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I concur.

Figured that some form of mapping and navigation beacon system would have already been in place, right from the start.

There's not much point exploring a complex marine environment if there's no accurate and handy way of creating a map, particularly when such exploration incurs a high ongoing cost in terms of power and resource commitment. The Beacons are fine for early stages of the game, but once the screen is filled with strobing circles of light, their usefulness is severely reduced. Maps are also useful for knowing precisely which areas to avoid. Can't always rely upon sound effects to tell us when we're about to get chomped.

One low-effort solution would be to have each beacon display its distance relative to the vehicle or diver, whenever the mouse pointer passes over it.

This feature would also allow players to create slightly more accurate hand-drawn maps.

• FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    edited October 2015
    I think a map would eventually become necessary, though I like @Wiz33 idea of having to note latitude / longitude (or grid numbers) for starters.

The Beacon issue would be solved if they were all linked to our PDA. We could toggle on/off the one(s) we want.

I still like the idea of building a 3D map with our Sonar gun, but I'd accept a generic map rather than have nothing.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Mr Moe wrote: »
    Whoops then i didn't find it yet. Ignore me pls :)

The compass can be made quite simply :smile: I won't announce on here how to make one so it doesn't spoil the discovery for others.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    edited October 2015
    Perhaps as a solution to the beacon clutter, a selector can be added to the H.U.D. so the player can choose which beacon/vehicle is being displayed. I also like the idea of linking them to the PDA, so you can activate the ones you want to see.
    Just a thought.
  • UnatanUnatan California Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 208002Members
    Interesting enough is that some things WON'T appear on your crafting menu UNLESS you have a proper resource for it (Hint HInt Mr. Moe)