I respectfully do not like the new skill system

EragonguEragongu Shanghai Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207613Members
edited August 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
the forward edition is better than this .why we must lose skill when we lose?it's so ridiculous
now the high skill ones stack to make sure they dont lose skill.I dont really know how skill system became this

Title edited. Use the body of your post to vent in, not the title ;) -Ironhorse

Comments

• YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    Skill doesn't matter, and apparently it's going to change and reset next patch, can't confirm that so gotta wait for someone from the cdt to respond.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What was the old skill system?

If you want to know more about the current skill system read this.
    https://moultano.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/a-skill-ranking-system-for-natural-selection-2/

Here is a fun thread with some basic statistics from the hive skill system, if you like that sort of thing.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136931/basic-statistics-of-the-hive-skill-system/p1

Also, the skill points are not like your bank account. It does not matter if they go down. I really dislike that hive skill is called "hive skill" because it does not show skill, but instead probability of winning.
  • EragonguEragongu Shanghai Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207613Members
    yes,It does not matter if they go down ,but someone care and make the match imbalance to make sure they dont lose it,thats the point
    the old skill system depends on your personal performance and team performance.but the new one only care you win or not
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    So I noticed lately that rookies are once again being given 1000 hive score to start with? They had been starting at 0 for a while. I'm not sure whether the 1000 or 0 is "better", but changing it without resetting everything has thrown off the numbers horribly.

Anyway, apart from that new change screwing up the equilibrium, the hive score/skill has shown to be a pretty effective measure of player ability in most cases. With some exceptions, I knew that someone with a 2000ish score was a tough fight, someone with 2500+ was basically impossible to beat, a 1000 was someone who knew the game but wasn't good at it, and that I really shouldn't expect anything from a <300. Not 100% accurate of course, but as a rule of thumb guideline it's been quite effective for me (my own score was in the 1300-1500 range until the recent change).

While shuffle based on hive skill hasn't worked to create even games, team average hive score has been very accurate at predicting the winner of games when there's a >300 point discrepancy, and even a 100-200 point difference heavily weights the odds.

From my experience, I believe that the win-based skill system is extremely accurate, at least as much as one could expect, but that an "even" game requires more than just matching up players of equivalent skill.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    Eragongu wrote: »
    the old skill system depends on your personal performance and team performance.but the new one only care you win or not
    Before the hive skill system, the only one I can remember is force random. All it did was randomize the teams. Maybe you are talking about where the server balanced off of the last round?
    yes,It does not matter if they go down ,but someone care and make the match imbalance to make sure they dont lose it,thats the point
    Are you saying the hive skill system is putting all the high skilled people on the same team?
  • EragonguEragongu Shanghai Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207613Members
    In short, the team that is predicted to win will not earn skill points if they win.Surely
    But its better than lose.Sometimes,i have done my best,be the top of my team.But its useless,lost skill 10+ even 20+.My kd increased my score per min increased,but my skill lost so much,isnt weird?
    All in all,i mean the team performance factor is required in hive skill,but the personal performance is necessary too.We cant impose team on ones skill
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    now the high skill ones stack to make sure they dont lose skill

That is actually improbable as it's precisely the opposite of how the system works.
    In short, the team that is predicted to win will not earn skill points if they win.
    This prevents that exact scenario you describe.

"But better players just swap teams or join later on in the round to cash in on the points!" Well.. not for long.

That all being said, there are definitely issues with the current system and they are all being looked at and revised. Look out for future cards in our trello there.

It can happen when a player has a very different hivescore than the server average, one or two high-skilled players can definitely stack the teams without a big shift in the average team hivescore (especially if there are 1000-score rookies on the other team).
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    This thread makes me think that the skill level should really be hidden.
    The current skill system works, it predicts how likely it is you are going to win, thats whats supposed to do. But if people really stack because of it, it should just be hidden.
    edited August 2015
    It doesn't matter at this point; a lot of the regulars know who's good and who isn't. As soon as some known players are on a team, a voluntary stack is 50% likely to occur.

*edit*
    It's really hard to think about how to solve this. Many times good players go on the same team because they don't feel like getting weighed down by their teammates, and couldn't care less about hive score. The solution should be to have enough good players so that no matter what team, it will be a good game.

Unfortunately, most of the time this doesn't really work since generally this only happens on captains servers and the captains mode is facking terrible since it takes so long to get a game going.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    There's really no point in having it if you are going to hide it. It's not like we have automated matchmaking or ever will. The entire point of the hive system then is to be a tool to help balance the teams, but unless you want to rely solely on the autostack shuffle feature it needs to be used manually, which means it needs to be seen.

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    sotanaht wrote: »
    There's really no point in having it if you are going to hide it. It's not like we have automated matchmaking or ever will. The entire point of the hive system then is to be a tool to help balance the teams, but unless you want to rely solely on the autostack shuffle feature it needs to be used manually, which means it needs to be seen.

The number 1 reason is the vote even teams vote.
    Then the second is the level icons in the serverbrowser which help you choose the server which is closest to your skill.
    The next one is the quick join button, which will also be improved in the future, but which also looks at your skill and puts you in the best place possible.

In short, its a very important information that is needed (hidden or not) for many existing and upcomming features that help balance the game.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The skill system might have its flaws, it's still thousand times better than what we had before.
    When "Force even teams" occure and people stack, it means that the people stack by switching teams in most cases. You see the offenders.
    It also shows overall serverskill in browser, it's been more or less accurate for me.

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All I see are tears. I love that you care about your hive points. I might stalk your server and try to rob you of those delicious points NOM NOM NOM.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    It's not that simple. If you want to play marine, but you are forced to play skulk then you either switch teams or quit. This throws the balance thing out the window.
    the thing is that even if you hide hive score, people will then start stacking badges.
  • HarmoniusZHarmoniusZ Poland Join Date: 2013-11-06 Member: 189038Members
    Wheeee wrote: »
    the thing is that even if you hide hive score, people will then start stacking badges.
    Yes, we will never let our precious badges to be thrown into dustbin, just like we will never let them hide our precious Hive points that we've farmed for so long.

Sorry, but badges are just another example how good intentions results in shit, when trying building the community by some fancy badges results in the opposite.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Wheeee wrote: »
    It can happen when a player has a very different hivescore than the server average, one or two high-skilled players can definitely stack the teams without a big shift in the average team hivescore (especially if there are 1000-score rookies on the other team).
    Only if those one or two high skilled players have a low hive score, is that possible.

And even if it weren't the case, that would mean there were enough players to saturate the average, and thus would one player on a team of 12 really be so much to handle for the other team that it guarantees a win? Even the best players can be suppressed through the teamwork of lesser skilled players.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Asraniel wrote: »
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    The skill system might have its flaws, it's still thousand times better than what we had before.
    When "Force even teams" occure and people stack, it means that the people stack by switching teams in most cases. You see the offenders.

Actually i really want the force even teams to really FORCE the even teams. Nobody should be able to change team after having been assigned, after all the server just voted to force even teams. Allowing people to change again kind of misses the point.

Hmmmm. I play sometimes on a server with shuffle. It's just so annoying to be thrown into a team that is just not what you wanted.

Any descent distribution should move all players in ready room before anything. Also it should take under consideration all those who are AFK. And eventually player preferences.

So many games ruined by people who join then go AFK. So many game ruined by something unwanted. Not because it happens but simply because nothing is taken under consideration. I mean it's supposed to be fun to play in the first place.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    The vote balance system is not working. As has been said, people can change the team after a vote - what makes the vote redundant. And the vote is just working if enough people with the same skill range are on a server. (And then you most likely don't need a vote.) As soon as one very high skilled person joins, the system teams that person up with less skilled persons and puts the medium players on the other team. That results in a nice and balanced team skill number, but in the end the teams are very unbalanced. Especially if that high skill player goes commander or if that person joins the other team, because - big surprise - he/she doesn't want to play with "skill-less" people all day long.

I agree @unclecrunch, an ideal solution would not move afk players to a team. It should also consider team preference.
    It does consider team preference already. If you already joined a team before the vote ended, it will try to keep you in that team if possible.
    Thats of course not always possible, but it does consider your preference.

The AFK players are indeed another issue.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It does consider team preference already. If you already joined a team before the vote ended, it will try to keep you in that team if possible.

If the skill system was reworked and re-released I presumse a hive skill reset be carried out accordingly?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

I have so many doubts about that. What I see is usually all people who joined stay, as there is enough players to make the sums even for both teams. It leads to 3 to 4 people stacking. It's enough to ruin the game.
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    If the skill system was reworked and re-released I presumse a hive skill reset be carried out accordingly?

I have no idea, but i guess its likely.

I actually think its a bad idea, as the current values can serve as a good starting point for the new system. Its certainly better than setting everybody to the same skill value.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

I actually think its a bad idea, as the current values can serve as a good starting point for the new system. Its certainly better than setting everybody to the same skill value.

<1000=0
    <1500=1000
    <2000=1500
    <2500=2000
    <3000=2500
    <3500=3000
    <4000=3500
    <4500=4000

I agree that it would be a good starting point. If the hive values are separated into marine and alien scores, the current hive score should be somewhere right in the middle. It should be close to an average or a median. I myself am a lot better at aliens than I am at marines. Assuming a have value of 1500 for myself, I can imagine my marine hive value being 1000 and my alien hive value being 2000.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

The number 1 reason is the vote even teams vote.
    Then the second is the level icons in the serverbrowser which help you choose the server which is closest to your skill.
    The next one is the quick join button, which will also be improved in the future, but which also looks at your skill and puts you in the best place possible.

In short, its a very important information that is needed (hidden or not) for many existing and upcomming features that help balance the game.

wait... people actually use that server hive ranking thing?

how good a predictor is it?

once you get to 2000 doesn't it just all turn into double down arrow anyway?

that's my experience anyway, it's all double reds, unless it's like 1 or 2 pug guys dicking around in a private server.