Docking facility for docking the Cyclops to your base

1bellb1bellb York, UK Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207569Members
edited August 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
The Seamoth has a docking station. So why not the Cyclops.

The Cyclops could then share its power with the Station its docked at. And most importantly you wouldn't have to leave the Cyclops and swim to an entrance to your base every time.

Suggestion of how it would work:
Maybe something like the Corridor with a Bulkhead door at the end. Then in your Cockpit of the Cyclops, introduce a new door on the side. When the corridor bulkhead door and the Cyclops are close, they automatically dock and when you open the door you can freely walk into your base and the Cyclops without having to swim.

Here is an example of what it could look like when docked.
2015-08-29_00002.jpg

Comments

• 1bellb1bellb York, UK Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207569Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    I think the docking station should come up from underneath to attach to the bottom hatch. Other than that, 100% agreement. Docking clamps to hold it in place, a tube to shoot you right into the base... WE NEED EET!

Ah yes, I didn't think of it that way. Thats a good idea and totally agree
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Hmm. You know what? I like this enough I might make a 3D model for an idea for the docking clamp itself. I'll be done sometime, probably mid-late tomorrow.
    Hmm. You know what? I like this enough I might make a 3D model for an idea for the docking clamp itself. I'll be done sometime, probably mid-late tomorrow.

Cool, I'd love to see that :)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Yes, but I'd prefer a giant dock which also acts as a construction, repair and recharging facility. The cyclops construction from the tiny constructor is like a joke.
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    edited August 2015
    @The_Shark - That is exactly what they should have, I really hope they consider this idea and get it implemented
  • HeadHunterHeadHunter The Pitt Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207530Members
    It looks good - though technically, the term for that module would be a "berth" as it is not just a docking collar for the airlocks, but a component that holds the entire craft.
    HeadHunter wrote: »
    It looks good - though technically, the term for that module would be a "berth" as it is not just a docking collar for the airlocks, but a component that holds the entire craft.

The "berth" would be the construction, repair, and recharge thing. The thing I made a model for is literally just a big docking clamp.
    @The_Shark - Can I ask what software you used to build that 3D model?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Looks great, Shark.

Though I think some bigger arms would be more appropriate.
    Like giant versions of the little arms that hold the Seamoth in the Moon Pool
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    I think the docking station should be a long tube that open up from the side and clamps onto the cyclops, pulling it in. The clamps would just suspend the cyclops in the massive room and we could enter/leave the room as we wished.
    1bellb wrote: »
    @The_Shark - Can I ask what software you used to build that 3D model?

It's called Tinkercad. It's free, you just need an email and a password. Grand total of four built-in lessons to learn how to operate it. They cover almost everything, and they each take maybe five minutes. Have to say it's one of the best 3D design sites I've found.
    Looks great, Shark.

Though I think some bigger arms would be more appropriate.
    Like giant versions of the little arms that hold the Seamoth in the Moon Pool

Thanks, I try. And, you're probably right. The Cyclops is pretty freaking big. I can ungroup and scale the arms up a bit.
    jjust19 wrote: »
    I think the docking station should be a long tube that open up from the side and clamps onto the cyclops, pulling it in. The clamps would just suspend the cyclops in the massive room and we could enter/leave the room as we wished.

That's more of the construction station. The thing I made the model for is literally just a clamp to enter the base from the Cyclops, and vice versa.
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members
    Alright, I'm done. Here's the idea I had for what the docking clamp would look like. I agree with Zetachron that there should be an entire facility for this, but I personally don't want to have to build an entire construction facility just so I can walk directly into my base. The docking clamp and construction facility should be completely separate.

That's awesome, I know the devs want to add this in the game but they said it might be a while till they can do something like this. But I think you nailed it. :)
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Alright, I'm done. Here's the idea I had for what the docking clamp would look like. I agree with Zetachron that there should be an entire facility for this, but I personally don't want to have to build an entire construction facility just so I can walk directly into my base. The docking clamp and construction facility should be completely separate.

What an innovative design. Is that middle section a ready-room of sorts? It could be.
    Reefseeker wrote: »
    Is that middle section a ready-room of sorts? It could be.

Yes... yes it could.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Yeah, as i have said on another post, this is needed. But there is one flaw; the smaller clamp has to be able to hold the cyclops, right? So if you wanted this you would need the claws in opposite scale to each other (Big claw= hold cyclops, little claw= dock for human) :)
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    The Cyclops definitely needs a docking collar and recharging facility. Or a nuclear power-plant, at the very least.

Not wildly enthusiastic about having a DSV that runs on non-rechargeable batteries. They aren't even Everyready Energizers or Duracells, for Pete's sake!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members

Absolutely spot-on! (Nice model, BTW! :) )

I've suggested using a modified Habitat dome as the docking assembly, with a holographic approach alignment system projected into the water. 'Call the ball' up to a certain point of your approach, then an automatic docking system takes over.
  • Jackx343Jackx343 France Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210380Members
    I'm a firm believer in this idea, i remember as a boy my dad would tell me "son, what ever you chose to do in life, don't leave your submarine to float around aimlessly in the middle of an alien ocean inhabited by giant sea creatures cause chances are you ain't gonna see it again after that!" and in a way, that makes alot of sense when you think about it... just seems way more logical to have it docked somewhere.
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
    Thought about this myself, I figured that it might actually just be much easier to modify the existing moon-pool model since it would serve the same purpose. In this case, adding two moon-pools right next to each other should automatically double the room size. So, if you put together say... four, you should have a big enough docking area for the cyclops, or just four seamoths.
  • ROBOCOPMAXROBOCOPMAX Frechen, DE Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210544Members
    edited December 2015
    I would prefer to have just the docking-clamp placed freely into the water.
    Probaply sideways or from under the cyclops.
    The hatch at the front of the cyclops would be the docking point.
  • DarthdamonDarthdamon netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210799Members
    it would be awesome to do that but maybe also that the power of the base powers the cyclops a bit slowly because its so big and if it would go real fast it would be to OP
    I've recently read in a couple places that this could be under development. I really hope its true :smiley:
  • Tom2121Tom2121 USA, VA Join Date: 2016-09-04 Member: 222057Members
    How about a bottom Docking hatch were you get in now or in the front.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    @The_Shark, can you post an image of it. I just went on Tinkercad and it said that the resource was gone.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016