More terraforming options

jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
I was playing around with the terraformer earlier and I couldn't help but think how cool it would be if players had more options in manipulating their worlds.

I'm sure you've thought to yourself while making a base, "I wish I could put some plants there" or "I wish I could make this area more beautiful." Though I'm not complaining about the current terraformer (I think it's great) I think it would be nice to have it work similar to the builder. And let's face it, placing huge clumps of multi-coloured dirt everywhere isn't too appealing... They should at least make it that the dirt texture matches the ground of the biome the players are in.

With that said, it would give players the goal of finding and documenting plant species (added level of discovery). We already have the blueprints and the fabricator saying "New creature discovered" whenever we bring a new fish, so why not have it so players could bring back samples of plants etc. that act similar to blueprints? Players could probably even make their own islands and completely re-work their biomes.

So, what do you think?

Comments

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    jjust19 wrote: »
    They should at least make it that the dirt texture matches the ground of the biome the players are in.

Or you could have a thing so you can decide what type of terrain to use.
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    They should at least make it that the dirt texture matches the ground of the biome the players are in.

That's true. :)
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members
    I was playing around with the terraformer earlier and I couldn't help but think how cool it would be if players had more options in manipulating their worlds.

I'm sure you've thought to yourself while making a base, "I wish I could put some plants there" or "I wish I could make this area more beautiful." Though I'm not complaining about the current terraformer (I think it's great) I think it would be nice to have it work similar to the builder. And let's face it, placing huge clumps of multi-coloured dirt everywhere isn't too appealing... They should at least make it that the dirt texture matches the ground of the biome the players are in.

With that said, it would give players the goal of finding and documenting plant species (added level of discovery). We already have the blueprints and the fabricator saying "New creature discovered" whenever we bring a new fish, so why not have it so players could bring back samples of plants etc. that act similar to blueprints? Players could probably even make their own islands and completely re-work their biomes.

So, what do you think?

What about this. After you make the land you want. Then nature takes it course and turns it into coral and have aquatic plant life growing on it and/or if the land is above water then it can grow plant life.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I have a feeling that the Terraformer is just a placeholder, and that it's functionality will be expanded later.

So, some things I'd like.

Different Shapes/Sizes
    We can currently do balls of land.
    I'd like to make/take Square shaped chunks.
    As well as different sizes.
    A "Level Surface" mode would be great, too.

Different Materials
    Would store different land types you gather and let you select them with the mousewheel.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    The_Shark wrote: »

I agree with both comments. I have noticed that regardless of what terrain my terraforming thing sucks up, it churns out just one type of terrain.

So, what do you think?

What about this. After you make the land you want. Then nature takes it course and turns it into coral and have aquatic plant life growing on it and/or if the land is above water then it can grow plant life.

That's a cute idea.
    I have a feeling that the Terraformer is just a placeholder, and that it's functionality will be expanded later.

Different Shapes/Sizes

Different Materials
    Would store different land types you gather and let you select them with the mousewheel.

Those options would be nice. I made an island before and it was just so... unappealing. Plus, I'm sure people could be a little more creative with their worlds. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to share worlds on Subnautica in the future, allowing people to make completely different worlds for other people's pleasure.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    edited September 2015

Different Shapes/Sizes

Different Materials

Yeah that's probably true. The terrain that it creates looks like poop that didn't digest all that well.

I think it should operate more like the constructor: gather different terrain types > be able to construct such land types in different shapes.

Also where will all the collected terrain go? I'd like an in-game explanation for that, or I'll have to assume it's just magic.

This is a lovely idea, I hope they implement a growth mechanism for flora.

Here's the poop btw:
    Poop.jpg

• jack_flamesjack_flames california usa Join Date: 2015-07-08 Member: 206055Members
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Right now my main power source I use for all base stations is a solar panel grid with lots of panels, because it's so efficient and can be even placed near the ocean surface with the help of vertical tubes, so this works for all stations from 0-200 meters. Then I ask myself:

Do I ever need any other power plant or a base in the deeps, when I have a reinforcable cyclops at hand to harvest resources in the depths?

Terraforming, drilling would be the answer to make the other power plants and deep stations necessary. To harvest the deep resources you would need drilling stations or terraforming generators, because deep resources can't just be picked by moving a sub near, exiting and gathering them. You would now be forced to create sub bases below 500 meters and forced to use power plants that don't use solar panels.

You'd have to find a resource rather as a indicator of a valuable ore to be drilled. After finding the place you use an analyzing probe to get the ore output possible and then build a drilling station there. Connect the drilling station to your base with pipelines that lead to a refinery module. You can no longer just harvest with diving and collecting.

Terraforming possibilities:

- the terraforming base tech is needed for advanced drilling beyond diamond-lithium drilling
    - a terraformer station could change the biome environmental factors and create mini-biomes used for farming
    - a terraformer drill minisub could drill-terraform through weak rock and sand to find hidden closed caves
    (the sub is fitted with an ultrasonic detector for scanning surfaces for hidden caves)
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Well the devs are going to be working on drilling and mining, and not just for the Exosuit