Seabase Lighting: Requiring Power

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
I'd like for our SeaBases to be dark if we don't pay the electric bill.
Would encourage players to turn off lights when they leave the room, and be smart with their building.

SeaBase lighting would take the absolute minimum of power consumption, of course, and would only really be a factor in base design as you're building before installing a power supply, or if it gets damaged by a creature attack and the lights go out.

This could also provide another function for Bulkheads, and Windows, with Bulkheads acting as a buffer between areas that need to automatically turn on their lights, and windows actually providing natural light to the base.

TL;DR I want to turn the lights off in my base, or have them go out if I don't have a power supply installed.
It's silly to be able to slap down a base in a deep dark cave and it still be as bright as heaven inside.

Comments

• IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    I have to agree because well for starters it makes sense and it adds to the gameplay
  • ArchiteuthisDonksArchiteuthisDonks Internet Join Date: 2015-08-20 Member: 207340Members
    A sensible way to enact this would be to activate seabase lighting when the player is present- i.e. it only consumes power when in use.

In addition, base lighting that can be toggled, and variable lighting, would be a huge improvement in general.
    Imagine the tension when a player with a base in the deepest ocean might feel as damage to his power supply causes it to switch over to ominous red emergency lighting.

And most importantly, imagine the glorious views when you can switch off the lighting in the observatory and enjoy the natural bio-luminescence of the world around you!

As an additional wrinkle, when external lighting is implemented (and it really must be sometime- wasn't there a spotlight in the files?) a proximity sensor would be amazing: your sub approaches and beams of light snap on with a mechanical CLUNK, illuminating your surroundings as your base 'powers up'.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Perhaps red emergency lights if the power supply is disrupted?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    That's what I was thinking. Low light emergency lights that comes from the floor so it's extra spooky.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members

This seems to be a commonly accepted idea as I have heard it mentioned in other posts. I agree with it as well. It seems that a base with no power still has some kind of back up power to aid with building and supplies, and it would make sense to have the low red light in place before you install a power source. Running out of power, say if your nuke runs out, or power supply is damaged by a creature, a vocal warning sounds, followed by the clunk sound when power turns on or off, then the red backup lights kick on. Yeah that would be swell.

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Love it. Every lit corridor would use one unit of power every ten seconds, rooms would use one per five seconds, moon pools one per second, with other added structures having varying levels of power usage depending on how much light there is. When you have more than one power, but the lights are out, rooms simply won't be lit; however, if you are down to zero power, then red emergency lights would come on. Maybe the player could also have a unit installed into any given corridor or whatever so the lights would turn on and off automatically when they enter and leave, respectively, but building that would take materials, whereas a simple switch is free.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited August 2015
    I don't think permanent power drainage would be necessary. There will be a spotlight in the future which would be much more beleavable to drain huge amounts of power. How about them reserving a certain amount of power of your overall power? Like if you have 200 units of power in your base and a spotlight would take 5 units to stay lit, your power with... lets say two spotlights would show 190/200 when full.

In general i agree with most of what you guys said already. Red emergency lights and a function to turn of lights inside the base would be nice. I'd like to turn off the light when looking out of my observatory.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    It's not that it would constantly drain power, just that the max power level would be -1 for every corridor, and -2 for every Room, and -3 for every Moon Pool.

So if you have a Solar Panel, you can 25 Corridors
    It's not that it would constantly drain power, just that the max power level would be -1 for every corridor, and -2 for every Room, and -3 for every Moon Pool.

^
    This

I like the idea. Basically, it's a passive reduction of mass power. The max power would be raised if you turn the lights off.

That's kinda what i meant with my example regarding spotlights, just that i'd leave the max power intact and directly substract it from the available resource. Your idea avoids a situation when the power drops below the level power it'd need to light the base, but it's better if every piece of structure needs to be lit.

I still think powering spotlights woiuld be enough already but i think we agree that reserving a certain amount of power avaiable would be a good mechanic.
    Your idea avoids a situation when the power drops below the level power it'd need to light the base, but it's better if every piece of structure needs to be lit.

This gets into the concept of where power comes from, and how it is dispersed.

So, for example, you have a Solar Panel, and 25 Corridors going straight out.
    All of them are powered and lit, but the base is generating 0 extra power, so you can't do anything with fabricators.

Now, if you add one more corridor to the end of this base, it would not be powered.

However, if you add a Corridor on top of the other end that is receiving power, it will light up, and the furthest Corridor will go dark.

Basically the modules closest to the power source (The Room or Corridor that is connected with the power beam) will receive priority over modules that are further away.
    I think this makes things a little bit too complicated in a couple of ways... also doesn't electricity work different?

How about the lights have a tolerance of 5 power units - meaning you can build 5 additional corridors atop the 25 you already built. When still inside the tolerance zone but under 0 the lights flicker in the whole base. Below they shut to emergency power, turn red and your sweet AI voice says something like "power not sufficient to sustain illumination".
    Having a radius around the power source complicates it, but adding a "Tolerance" does not?
    your sweet AI voice says something like "power not sufficient to sustain illumination".

Yes.
    Having a radius around the power source complicates it, but adding a "Tolerance" does not?
    Well power drops below 0, lights flicker in the whole base. That is kinda simple.
    Teaching the game to light different parts of the base in different situations seems kinda complex programming wise.
    I don't know if it's actually more complicated, but what if you had different power sources spread across your base? They all go into the same power pool but would have to be calculated seperately. What if you build something other than a straight line of corridors? Two corridors having the same distance to the power source in the middle; which one goes out?
    Well power drops below 0, lights flicker in the whole base. That is kinda simple.
    Teaching the game to light different parts of the base in different situations seems kinda complex programming wise.
    I don't know if it's actually more complicated, but what if you had different power sources spread across your base? They all go into the same power pool but would have to be calculated seperately. What if you build something other than a straight line of corridors? Two corridors having the same distance to the power source in the middle; which one goes out?

Or maybe, just maybe, instead of all this crap deciding where power does and does not go...

A light switch.
  • jdanilovjdanilov Join Date: 2015-08-25 Member: 207459Members
    > Teaching the game to light different parts of the base in different situations seems kinda complex programming wise.

Not really, it's easy if based on the distance to electricity source as mentioned. Simple graph search algorithm with an abort condition will give you the result.

In reality though I'd expect the whole base to go dark until you drop the power consumption. Alternatively you can have a power control in every module (corridor) you can switch on and off and manually disconnect the part of your base to restore illumination in the rest.

Also fabricator etc. should use the power only when being used. That might result in an interesting effect of loosing light when turning the fabricator on (oops).

Very complex idea is to have a player defined custom power grid setup. More work but satisfying. You could place sensors throughout the base and only lit the part of it you're at.
    jdanilov wrote: »
    Very complex idea is to have a player defined custom power grid setup. More work but satisfying. You could place sensors throughout the base and only lit the part of it you're at.

Or, you could have a light switch.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members