Habitat Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageHabitat Update Released - Subnautica

The Habitat Update is now available! Build an underwater home with Moon Pools, Observatories, large compartments, bulkhead doors, and more. Head over to the Habitat Update website to see all...

Read the full story here

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
  • hoodvisionshoodvisions Germany Join Date: 2014-10-28 Member: 199178Members
    Oh wow!! Seriously, I think each update I saw in this game, so far, is way more polished and high-quality than most finished AAA games want to be, nowadays. I have to admit that I am treating Subnautica as a fully released game here, thanks to its outstanding (!) quality (partially due to not having much time to spend on gaming lately :P ). I didn't encounter a single bug, graphical error or anything indicating an alpha, beta or whatever. GREAT GAME! Oh, and I am that guy who complained about the game's overall look & feel ages ago. How wrong I was!
  • FalcoFalco Germany Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205271Members
    They listen to people, amazing :3
  • LyeauxLyeaux Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen Join Date: 2012-04-11 Member: 150249Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can be really creative with all those baseparts. It makes a lot of fun to build his own underwaterbase. The new animations for the bulkhead door are awesome! They look smooth and well! Nicely done! :)
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Hmm no SDL yet...? D:
  • TheJamesehTheJameseh United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-08-04 Member: 206769Members
    Amazing! I can't wait to play this and I'm glad these developers work hard and don't leave their community without any information or let them know whats going on or even be active, thank you guys for creating an amazing game!
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    Gonna try this bad boy out
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    What was the new Biome that was supposedly released?
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What was the new Biome that was supposedly released?

On the release website here, http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/habitat-update/ , 8/12 -- Grand Reef
  • adac70adac70 Germany Join Date: 2015-01-01 Member: 200548Members
    I Decoded the Log at the End of the Habitat update page.
    Nice encryption, Unknown Worlds :D
    Analyst: Update package away, Ma'am.

Controller: Well done everyone. Now get back to work.

Analyst: Ma'am, the team needs to rest.

Controller: Listen up! Anyone who wants to tell me they've got it bad, stop and ask whether you'd rather have been on the Aurora.

They're alone right now. They're scared. They're beset on all sides by alien nightmares - and it's only going to get worse.

If you still think you should be resting rather than working on a way to keep those people safe, you bring it to me and you'll be reassigned.

I'm sure the TSF could use some more bodies in the Kharaa conflict.
    Who else wants to know more about that "Kharaa conflict"?
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    yay :D

now just add beds and TV and fridge (for all those rotting foods :P) and a lab and a hatchery :D
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Looks like future updates have a meaning to the story.. hence tons of updates forever maybe?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I love how "The Controller" is super pissed and concerned about your safety against the "alien nightmares"
    Yet a freaking harpoon gun is apparently entirely out of the question.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    indeed im glad humanity KILLED predators back when we were exploring and terraforming earth .... I dont think saying HI to the saber tooth would have got us past the dodo
  • adac70adac70 Germany Join Date: 2015-01-01 Member: 200548Members
    I love how "The Controller" is super pissed and concerned about your safety against the "alien nightmares"

Unknown worlds said that Subnautica isn't a Sandbox game, this isn't a survival game, this game has no explicit goals.
    it's a game about exploring, you are a Scientist that crashed on a alien world, and scince the humans have developed SPACE TRAVEL(!!!) they probably set up some kind of scientists Kodex, to never ever harm any living creature, unless in self-defence (Wich is why the only real weapon in this game is the knife). To be honest, i would have done the same. I wouldnt go around planets that could potentially be the next earth and just start slaughtering everything...
    altough i would, if i had a gun. that is why subnautica should not add guns.

• PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    I have a small problem. I built my Moon Pool on the sea floor, next to my base. I went in my seamoth and tried to dock there, but the water above turned blue and I couldn't enter!
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    tarek wrote: »
    yay :D

now just add beds and TV and fridge (for all those rotting foods :P) and a lab and a hatchery :D

Dude, this idea is no joke. We can literally have a freakin TV and fridge (MAYBE TEH BEERZ?). For the TV, if you're connected to WiFi, it will play subnautica youtube videos from the Subnautica channel.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    PajamaJams wrote: »
    I have a small problem. I built my Moon Pool on the sea floor, next to my base. I went in my seamoth and tried to dock there, but the water above turned blue and I couldn't enter!

I had the same problem, but then I realized you have to have power in your base in order to dock your seamoth in the moon pool.

• ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    PajamaJams wrote: »
    For the TV, if you're connected to WiFi, it will play subnautica youtube videos from the Subnautica channel.

It would be awesome if at certain times during the in-game days it had different shows like JackSepticEye, SplatterCatgaming, and all the other YouTube channels that have a Subnautica series. Maybe even have a series where it compares the visuals of the early days to the most recent version.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    It would be cool if we could modify the inside of the base so it doesn't feel as cold and metallic as it is. Some kind of design on the floor. I don't know what though. That's up to the developers
    adac70 wrote: »

Unknown worlds said that Subnautica isn't a Sandbox game, this isn't a survival game, this game has no explicit goals.
    it's a game about exploring, you are a Scientist that crashed on a alien world, and scince the humans have developed SPACE TRAVEL(!!!) they probably set up some kind of scientists Kodex, to never ever harm any living creature, unless in self-defence (Wich is why the only real weapon in this game is the knife). To be honest, i would have done the same. I wouldnt go around planets that could potentially be the next earth and just start slaughtering everything...

Oh look the "If you give the player a gun they will murder the entire planet and do absolutely nothing else" argument again.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

Oh look the "If you give the player a gun they will murder the entire planet and do absolutely nothing else" argument again.

Oh look the man who's only contribution to this forum at the moment is to go around complaining people use the above argument, and shouting a lot.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

Oh look the man who's only contribution to this forum at the moment is to go around complaining people use the above argument, and shouting a lot.
    Lol literally nobody is shouting, m8. If you take someone calmly disagreeing with you, and pointing out your mistakes as "shouting" then it isn't really my problem, is it?
  • SolidJ01SolidJ01 Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207441Members
    Where can I find a moonpool fragment? I'd really like to build one without cheating.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    In the Grand Reef I believe.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Moonpool hint: Build a connecting corridor out from your main habitat and attach the moonpool to it, leaving plenty of sea-room for your Seamoth to dock and launch without glitching.

It doesn't matter that you'll end up with a (presumably) extremely heavy module hanging unsupported in mid-water. No base hull integrity penalties for doing this.

Physics took an early lunch-break, and I don't think he's coming back to the office today.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Moonpool hint: Build a connecting corridor out from your main habitat and attach the moonpool to it, leaving plenty of sea-room for your Seamoth to dock and launch without glitching.

It doesn't matter that you'll end up with a (presumably) extremely heavy module hanging unsupported in mid-water. No base hull integrity penalties for doing this.

Physics took an early lunch-break, and I don't think he's coming back to the office today.

Yes, I do this too. :smile:

2015-08-27_00002.jpg
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    It's not unsupported, it's got a huge air bubble in it.
  • HeadHunterHeadHunter The Pitt Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207530Members
    this isn't a survival game
    they probably set up some kind of scientists Kodex, to never ever harm any living creature, unless in self-defence (Wich is why the only real weapon in this game is the knife).
    Then YOU can be the one to distract the Reaper and feed yourself to the cave crawlers while I go fix the reactor.
    If you think a knife is suitable self-defense against most of the stuff in the game, then I can see why you think it isn't a Survival game.
    (Never mind that the primary mode of play is explicitly called "survival").

I'm not going out looking to start fights, but if I'm attacked I want a way to conclusively finish them. Aside from a suckerfish, a knife isn't going to accomplish that.

There's a word for pacifists in survival situations... and that word is "casualty".