Travel system for multi base

PopeHaxPopeHax UK Join Date: 2015-08-04 Member: 206739Members
edited August 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
So after reading several post about the quiet slow traveling methods i started toying with an idea of a travel system this is more so for those of us that have built more than one base.

Two methods of implementation are :

-Fast travel system that warps you from one base to the other
-Track based system that takes you from one base to the other using a monorail type track

now it would all start with a module connected to the base that would look like a shuttle/tube station that would allow you to name the base then from there it would give you the option to travel to the another named station/base

the fast travel system wouldn't have any other limitations

Track based would be harder because of the various depths and having the track take into account hills and slopes
it would also become inoperable if the track gets damaged requiring maintenance to keep it running

upside is the scenic view while traveling

any thoughts and expansions would be awesome

Comments

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I like the third option.

A speedboat. And we're talking really fast one here.
    It'd have a docking port for the seamoth and no space for modules. Maybe a preinstalled fabricator, but nothing in terms of possible storage capacities. Transport only.
    Oh, and maybe a radar screen to let you know when you're right above a beacon.
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    I have two ideas that can sort-of fit into the game:

1. Teleporters constructed at your base. Would be hard to make and would use a large amount of energy (say, 100 units) per use and would be a later-game tech.

2. This is a context in which air travel would make most sense. Simply build an appropriate landing point that reaches the surface and you'll have a small helicopter drone deliver you there.
  • TheJamesehTheJameseh United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-08-04 Member: 206769Members
    These are cool Ideas for travelling but like Captain_Pyro said I think we need an above water boat, not necessarily a speed boat but a fast way of travelling between places without using as much resources as it would not to be as resistant to water pressure and stuff, I dunno just things I'm thinking of.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think a better system would be to incorporate a teleport pad into the game (very expensive to make ofc)

The tech would be based on the warper once it's implemented, maybe even need to use the DNA transfuser in addition to a teleport pad to make it safe.

This way there is a reason to build multiple bases, complete with moonpools and seamoths for resource gatherin.

Its an underwater game, lets keep the player underwater as long as possible!
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I can't shake the feeling that teleportation would trivialize travel a bit too much. You wouldn't even have to leave your base(s) anymore.

Also loading huge chunks of the world in one swoop would probably make for some performance issues.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    warpers may be a gateway to teleporting. Transfuser takes DNA sample from warper. Analyzer does the research and makes it usable for teleport tech to build a teleporter. something like that.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Also, I vote no for air travel.This is Subnautica after all. UNDA DA SEA HA HA HA!
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Also, I vote no for air travel.This is Subnautica after all. UNDA DA SEA HA HA HA!
    But Air Travel would allow the game to load new maps seamlessly without having to waste time rendering things like water or landscape until you actually get to the center of the new sector of ocean.

• ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members

What about just on the sea? How about boats that are the fastest things in the game that will automatically go to the XY coordinates of existing markers?