Zone Alarm Firewall + New Update = BSOD

StarDolphinStarDolphin California Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206651Members
I use Zone Alarm (http://www.zonealarm.com) which is a firewall program that blocks internet access to applications until you explicitly approve them.

It causes a pop-up window to happen when a new (or updated) application tries to access the internet. I don't recall entirely what happened on the last update, but I think NS2 used to crash when it couldn't see the internet on the server browser, but it was ok because I got the pop-up and could whitelist NS2 and it worked the next time.

It is now crashing NS2 in a way that you can't kill it from Task Manager, and if you try to log out it causes a BSOD!

(What I am assuming is happening: NS2 doesn't handle the edgecase where windows says it should have access to the internet resource but it is blocked. Total guess).

Turning off Zone alarm allows me to connect. I'm assuming if I manually whitelist NS2.exe it will work as well. However, I figured causing an BSOD is a bad escalation over a simple app crash so I would report it.

Tech Support zip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfvpmc93kkulkhw/tech_support.zip?dl=0

I just installed windowsdbg to be able to open the minidump file from the crash, I can get the exact error on the BSOD :smile:

Comments

• StarDolphinStarDolphin California Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206651Members
    Actually that Tech Support Zip was immediately after my successful launch after turning on ZA. Let me reboot and turn it back on and get the crash then run the tech support exe
    REPO STEPS
    1) Have Zone Alarm Running
    2) Open NS2
    3) Open Server Browser

Game will freeze. Can alt-tab to other running programs, but game is frozen and can't get back to desktop
    (Optional) Task Manager Kill, taskkill /f, Task Manager kill process tree all fail

4) Log out/Shutdown: BSOD will happen

Tech Support Zip from right after these steps:
    Haven't had much luck getting windows debugging working on my desktop. I can provide minidump file if desired. Windows reporting has this lovely useless message:
    "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff88014b915ff, 0xfffff8800d9db888, 0xfffff8800d9db0e0)."

REPO STEPS
    1) Have Zone Alarm Running
    2) Open NS2
    3) Open Server Browser

Game will freeze. Can alt-tab to other running programs, but game is frozen and can't get back to desktop
    (Optional) Task Manager Kill, taskkill /f, Task Manager kill process tree all fail

4) Log out/Shutdown: BSOD will happen

Tech Support Zip from right after these steps:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kdiq37rorbgolt/tech_support2.zip?dl=0
    Haven't had much luck getting windows debugging working on my desktop. I can provide minidump file if desired. Windows reporting has this lovely useless message:
    "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff88014b915ff, 0xfffff8800d9db888, 0xfffff8800d9db0e0)."

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Okay the dxdiag doesn't show any crashes. Could you use this tool (download the zip so you can run it without installation) to get us a few more details about the crash.

Overall this sounds more like a crash caused by ZoneAlarm triggered by NS2, so nothing we can really fix at our side. ZoneAlarm is known for causing these kind of issues also with other software and OS services as well so it doesn't really surprise me.

What you maybe could try to avoid the crash is to lower the amount of pings NS2 sends out via the Steamworks API per minute to give ZoneAlarm the chance to cover up.

For that open under Steam the settings -> In-Game -> Lower the value of In-Game server browser: max pings / minute
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    BSOD can only be done by hardware or by programs running under kernel.
    ns2 doesnt run under kernel, zonealarm.. I think it did.. not sure.

Hard to judge without the actual dmp file. In c:\windows or c:\windows\minidump, are most likely those recent dmp files.. Can you zip and give one of those?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    You could always add ns2.exe as an exception to zonealarm... or steam at least...
    How I worked around the issue (If anyone runs into this thread and wants something that works).
    1) Boot NS2
    2) Alt-Tab out (before opening server browser) (or use Windowed Mode). Zone Alarm window "Allow NS2.exe?" Happens as soon as you start NS2.
    3) Can go back into NS2 now, it will work :smile:
    Okay the dxdiag doesn't show any crashes. Could you use this tool (download the zip so you can run it without installation) to get us a few more details about the crash.

Overall this sounds more like a crash caused by ZoneAlarm triggered by NS2, so nothing we can really fix at our side. ZoneAlarm is known for causing these kind of issues also with other software and OS services as well so it doesn't really surprise me.

What you maybe could try to avoid the crash is to lower the amount of pings NS2 sends out via the Steamworks API per minute to give ZoneAlarm the chance to cover up.

For that open under Steam the settings -> In-Game -> Lower the value of In-Game server browser: max pings / minute

Well this is weird. Apparently the ATI Driver is crashing. Somehow ZA + NS2 cause a problem state for the graphics driver? That is... not intuitive at all. Unless the graphics diag driver was trying to phone home or something and they didn't handle that use case...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84m9bott3gd48yq/report.html?dl=0

(A quick Google searh suggests this may be a known issue with ZA? http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/214029-bsod-atikmdag-sys-atimpag-sys-dxgmms1-sys.html )

Also, that is an awesome tool. Thanks for the link!
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    You could always add ns2.exe as an exception to zonealarm... or steam at least...
    Yeppers, that is what I did. (You have to re-add items every time an exe is updated, say when a new patch is downloaded that changes the .exe file ;) ).

I wanted to report it because 1) It was a 100% reproducible BSOD, which is not usually the case (Most times I've run into BSOD problems with computers they are very transient :neutral: ) and 2) It was worse on this patch than on previous patches.
    I guess it could of easily been either ZA or ATI code that changed and it was only the update to the .exe file that caused the code path to be triggered again...