[Crash Report] Game crashes upon entering menu

AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
I'm running the game on Eyefinity (5886x1080 resolution). All settings max, except for Ambient Occlusion (off) and Reflections (off).

When in the main menu, everything is fine. However, when I press escape to access the game menu while playing, the game exits on an error "Failed to allocate X bytes".

I have sent in the error log already, but I'd like to know if anyone has the solution to this issue for me. Thanks!

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Hi,

please provide us with your tech_support.zip here.

If you don't know how to create that yet please have a look at http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post

If possible provide a crash dump separately as well. The easiest way to create a crash dump is with the MSDN process explorer:
    • Don't close NS2 when it crashed
    • Open the process explorer mentioned above
    • Right-Click at the ns2 process and select create dump -> full dump
    • Zip it with 7Zip, the windows explorer or WINRAR
    • Upload it to somewhere like gdrive, dropbox etc.
    • Post the link here ;)

In case the crash reporter shows up you will find a mini-dump in %temp%. Please also provide us with this file.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2015
    Thanks. I've uploaded the Tech_support.zip already at the following link, I'll create a dump as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/97xqs4x4j6enkns/AAB6eXv3ihDdYF1GD_J02VWAa?dl=0

EDIT: I am now also uploading the dumpfile. I'm not sure if this is complete, as it utterly crashed my pc, to the point of my SSD not being recognized upon warm-reboot. I had to power the pc down completely and start back up for it to function again. I suspect the MSDN explorer here.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Good to see you again Angelusz!

Hmm that memory error is failing with 4.3 GB of data.. NS2 shouldn't ever need that amount.
    I've passed on the dump file
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Okay sorry for the late answer:

As ironhorse said something weird is going on with the ns2 memory manager at your side. The dump was sadly corrupted and not really helpful due to that.

Try to make mini-dumps for now to avoid that the process explorer crashes. Also make sure your system is up to date and maybe update your gpu driver if possible.

Also try to play ns2 in 1980x1080 as resolutions like 5886x1080 are not really supported.

Furthermore i would check the state of that SSD with the samsung magican tool.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    resolutions like 5886x1080 are not really supported.
    That actually may explain it.. and why the memory was high