Crystal farming

JumJumJRJumJumJR Washington Join Date: 2015-07-03 Member: 205982Members
I originally posted this idea in the steam forums, but it has since lost traction, so I thought I would bring it over here for more opinions.

Quartz is a very useful resource. In the early game stage, you need it to make most tools and equipment, and for hatches on bases. In the late game stages, it is needed for the cyclops, bases, and other upgrades and equipment. The problem with this, is that by the time you get to the late game stage, quartz has become very difficult to find, but is still a much needed commodity. So, I have a proposed solution.

There is a crystal farming technique known as "hydro-thermal synthesis". This is the practice of crystallizing substances through the use of an "aqueous solution" (a solution in which the solvent is water) at high vapor pressures.

TL;DR Hydro-thermal synthesis = solutions of water at high vapor pressures in order to make crystals out of minerals.
Basically, it takes the way that crystals are formed in nature, and puts it in a controlled, accelerated environment.

Now, as to how it actually works.

The growth of crystals is performed by a device known as an “autoclave”. An autoclave is a device consisting of steel vessels, designed to withstand high pressure and heat. A material is then supplied at the bottom of the autoclave. (titanium possibly?) In short, the autoclave heats in such a way that the water at the bottom is hot enough to dissolve the material, while the temperature at the top of the autoclave is cooler, so as to form crystals.

The material is then dissolved by the solution of hot water at the bottom, and crystals form at the top of the autoclave, where it is cooler.

Now as to what this would look like, I have no idea. I'm not really good at that kinda stuff. :P But here's a picture of an actual autoclave

Diagram: http://i.imgur.com/Y3ke9WM.gif

Actual picture: http://i.imgur.com/2jYL5AL.jpg (sorry for bad quality, it was hard to find one in this size)

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Farming is quite a common topic on these threads in general at the moment, and it is being looked into by the devs.

You ideas regarding crystal farming seem a little too complex to me.

I had my own ideas recently on Quartz farms. It is much simpler, to both implement and use/understand in the game.

The idea is this:

Quartz grows specifically in amongst certain plants*, and is fairly shallow, you don't find it too deep. To have a farm, you simply plant those plants and Quartz will grow. Let's say for the sake of 'pseudo-science' that the plants react with sunlight and a chemical by product they release causes the formation of Quartz.

* I know it doesn't 'grow' currently, it is all pre-placed, but for the sake of farming we will assume a growing mechanic is in place.

However, to ramp up the eco-effect of the game, consider that each plant we may want to farm has a particular animal associated with it, that either feeds on it, hides in it, lays eggs in it whatever, this fish is always around this plant, so growing too much of an item will increase the levels of that fish in the area.

This would have a side effect of then bringing that creatures natural predators more in the area etc.

Similarly, diminishing an amount of a resource in one area should diminish the number of the associated creatures.

I think there is already a lot of tech and upgrades, and there will undoubtedly be more coming, so I feel it would be nice if we began focusing on ideas more around the integration of eco-systems and affecting them. I already get overwhelmed by the options and stuff when trying to build. So much to remember, it already gets confusing.

In my last six hours of play, I haven't even got around to getting any vehicles created, I've been swimming everywhere :P
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I just hope it wont be TO easy. Dont wanna be done to fast.

basicly what you NEED to like survive should be relative easy to get.
    What you WANT to get more shinies should be harder.
    Anything which would become a daily chore falls under the need category, of course.
  • JumJumJRJumJumJR Washington Join Date: 2015-07-03 Member: 205982Members
    I just hope it wont be TO easy. Dont wanna be done to fast.

Maybe it would produce a crop of 5 or so crystals every other day or so?

Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Farming is quite a common topic on these threads in general at the moment, and it is being looked into by the devs.

You ideas regarding crystal farming seem a little too complex to me.

I had my own ideas recently on Quartz farms. It is much simpler, to both implement and use/understand in the game.

The idea is this:

Quartz grows specifically in amongst certain plants*, and is fairly shallow, you don't find it too deep. To have a farm, you simply plant those plants and Quartz will grow. Let's say for the sake of 'pseudo-science' that the plants react with sunlight and a chemical by product they release causes the formation of Quartz.

* I know it doesn't 'grow' currently, it is all pre-placed, but for the sake of farming we will assume a growing mechanic is in place.

However, to ramp up the eco-effect of the game, consider that each plant we may want to farm has a particular animal associated with it, that either feeds on it, hides in it, lays eggs in it whatever, this fish is always around this plant, so growing too much of an item will increase the levels of that fish in the area.

This would have a side effect of then bringing that creatures natural predators more in the area etc.

Similarly, diminishing an amount of a resource in one area should diminish the number of the associated creatures.

I think there is already a lot of tech and upgrades, and there will undoubtedly be more coming, so I feel it would be nice if we began focusing on ideas more around the integration of eco-systems and affecting them. I already get overwhelmed by the options and stuff when trying to build. So much to remember, it already gets confusing.

In my last six hours of play, I haven't even got around to getting any vehicles created, I've been swimming everywhere :P

I love it! The only issue I would have is that, like you stated, it's not exactly scientifically accurate. But I dunno how accurate the devs intend to be with future updates.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited July 2015
    What about mining volcanic glass that continues to pour out of volcanic vents? The largest classification of the stuff is felsic. Felsic is what Quartz forms from. It's like going directly to the crystal source, and would be a late game item - once the player gets depth modules and the exosuit... right around the time they're running out of Quartz. This way the player practices looking for material early on, but is then rewarded with a limitless supply of glass when they are looking to build luxurious bases.

You could also get Mafic rock which is high in magnesium and iron. Hell, basalt is Mafic rock.