END OF MAP SUGGESTIONS

SgtBarrettSgtBarrett Florida Join Date: 2015-06-29 Member: 205861Members
I was wondering if it would be possible to mimic a round world by teleporting the player from one edge of the map, to the direct opposite location on the other side of the map.

Comments

• ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    I thought this was going to be a suggestion for an enormeous fauna to spawn at the edge of the world that would be unavoidable and would eat us if we went too far but hey I like your idea too.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Back in Far Cry 1 if you went out to far the sharks would get you.

I like that carnivorous fauna idea tho.

Maybe just make it so you fall of the edge of the world into space? That would make most sense ;)
  • KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    Maybe even a map generator like minecraft...
    I don't know how much work this would take though if it were to be decent.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Perhaps you're just on top of a massive volcanic dike and the rest is open ocean like it is now?
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    UWE tried wrapping the map early on. Feedback was negative. Notably, the current map is so small that you would be able to see the ship in multiple directions (north/south/east/west) from the same spot - which makes no sense.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Wrapping the map is a bad idea alone because you lose the option to expansion pack in more ocean.
    Sure you can go down, but eventually you may also hit a bottom there.

If its truly needed perhaps make the 'big spawn area' we have now like we have now and make the edge autogenerated stuff?
    Or indeed keep in the option to expand and use some insane creature blockage atm.
  • FisteFiste USA Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204924Members
    Wrapping the map is a bad idea alone because you lose the option to expansion pack in more ocean.

If its truly needed perhaps make the 'big spawn area' we have now like we have now and make the edge autogenerated stuff?
    Or indeed keep in the option to expand and use some insane creature blockage atm.

the bottom is easy to deal with, dig too deep, get murdered by lava.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    whoppaXXL wrote: »
    Seems reasonable.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited July 2015
    LumpN wrote: »
    Seems reasonable.
    How about extremely strong oceanic currents? A planet totally covered in water would be capable of producing mega-currents and rough seas unlike anything on Earth. Subnautica doesn't need to rip off used and frankly unreasonable antics to turn back players. The ocean can simply be the barrier. It's much easier to implement and doesn't require the addition of an eldritch abomination sea monster that acts as an overzealous standing flag.
    edited July 2015
    Fiste wrote: »

the bottom is easy to deal with, dig too deep, get murdered by lava.
    Or simply pressure from the ocean waters.

Seems reasonable.

FarCry 1 didn't have high tech submarines
  • AmanchamAmancham GER Join Date: 2015-07-01 Member: 205922Members
    How about extremely strong oceanic currents? A planet totally covered in water would be capable of producing mega-currents and rough seas unlike anything on Earth. Subnautica doesn't need to rip off used and frankly unreasonable antics to turn back players. The ocean can simply be the barrier. It's much easier to implement and doesn't require the addition of an eldritch abomination sea monster that acts as an overzealous standing flag.

I love this idea. That would be something new for a change. The big bad monster that comes and gets you is used a lot, is it not?
  • drinnioldrinniol Join Date: 2015-02-08 Member: 201261Members
    I would think the most realistic way to go about it is the edge going off the continental shelf, too for down for even the best subs not to get crushed.
  • gwacagwaca Join Date: 2014-09-26 Member: 198731Members
    The map could be a giant reefback, sleeping for centuries, awaken again because of the Aurora crashlanding on it and the "planet" where all of this happens, is just a giant ball of water without any ground.

That's what i'm thinking about.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    edited July 2015
    Seems reasonable.

That's my favorite suggestion so far. It hits the key point of deterring the player from going too far out, which I for example did when I was new to the game. It also leaves plenty of room for your imagination. There might be a huge creature somewhere out there, or distant biomes, but you're not going to find out. For now. I always prefer it when the game leaves certain things like this to your imagination, rather than needing an explanation like "oh, monsters here and you'll die, turn back".

(And maybe if there were any future expansions, you could find methods to navigate the currents—maybe through caves—to reach new, distant locations.)

The monsters thing is not a good deterrant because you have to build it like getting killed by a cutscene, otherwise people might try to find ways to bypass it rather than accept it as a barrier.
    Wratts wrote: »
    Seems reasonable.

That's my favorite suggestion so far. It hits the key point of deterring the player from going too far out, which I for example did when I was new to the game. It also leaves plenty of room for your imagination. There might be a huge creature somewhere out there, or distant biomes, but you're not going to find out. For now. I always prefer it when the game leaves certain things like this to your imagination, rather than needing an explanation like "oh, monsters here and you'll die, turn back".

(And maybe if there were any future expansions, you could find methods to navigate the currents—maybe through caves—to reach new, distant locations.)

The monsters thing is not a good deterrant because you have to build it like getting killed by a cutscene, otherwise people might try to find ways to bypass it rather than accept it as a barrier.
    Seeing as that part of the open ocean is probably devoid, or simply too deep to reach the bottom of, how about this?

Players can eventually get a larger sub that can take them beyond the strong currents. I imagine since the current filled areas are basically empty, a quick travel mechanic (like that seen in Fallout) could be used to reach new areas. Of course, this may have it's own problems. It might be easier to just envelope/surround the entire playable map in a large currents instead of having areas beyond. Just a quick brainstorm.
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    Wratts wrote: »
    Seems reasonable.

Seeing as that part of the open ocean is probably devoid, or simply too deep to reach the bottom of, how about this?

Players can eventually get a larger sub that can take them beyond the strong currents. I imagine since the current filled areas are basically empty, a quick travel mechanic (like that seen in Fallout) could be used to reach new areas. Of course, this may have it's own problems. It might be easier to just envelope/surround the entire playable map in a large currents instead of having areas beyond. Just a quick brainstorm.

Like that huge sub in the lost river!
    I think the game needs much much more flora and fauna to be able to extend its territory. This can be seen as if you go deep down its so lifeless you would think its a dead planet.

Right now the game is on Early Access but it does look very promising with each passing update! I think we all have great ideas and we should try to mold them a little more so the devs can see something reasonable that they think will look good in the game.

Ocean currents seem like an excellent idea, maybe so strong that the cyclops will be necessary to pass them so it adds a much bigger sense of usefulness to the Cyclops.