Playing NS2 Without Actually Playing....... Help.

IZAKIZAK Australia Join Date: 2015-06-27 Member: 205815Members
So. Ive tried everything. I have a temporary fix, but not a proper one. Here is my issue.

About a week ago, NS2 thought it would have some fun, and crash. Cool. No problems restarting, no issues in game after that. Until i went to close steam..... After successfully exiting NS2, as in there are no processes running, nothing, I am on my desktop about to exit steam. I get a warning telling me I must first exit NS2. I check my steam friends and low and behold, it thinks I'm still in there, chomping on marines. When i am not. So i killed steam's processes, and turn off my PC. The next day, trying to start NS2, I start steam, try to start NS2, and it thinks, before I've even found the game in my giant games list, that I'm already there playing.

Ive tried getting your Techsupport.exe to run on multiple occasions to no avail. It sits open for hours doing nothing after "scanning installation". And my only fix that lets me do anything, is starting NS2.exe manually via either cmd, or going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2. Then closing it, to which point steam thinks its closed until I restart steam. Ive had this problem since about the 19th or 20th of June, to date. My PC has been restarted multiple times since the issue arose, and has been off since Tuesday, until today my time of posting. Any help would be lovely. This is my last resort, I've tried everything I can think of.....

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'd fall back to the old faithful Nuke From Orbit in this scenario..
  • IZAKIZAK Australia Join Date: 2015-06-27 Member: 205815Members
    I cant uninstall as it thinks I'm in game still. And I tried that today after my temp fix. Wasn't having any of it....
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Try:

Close steam.
    Delete ClientRegistry.blob
    Re-open steam.

Tell me what happens then.
    Im still in game on start up.......
    edited June 2015
    We need to work out which file handles the 'playing game' bit in steam.

I'll see what I can find out.

EDIT:

Try closing steam and deleting GameOverlayRenderer.log

Then restart steam and see if that works.
    I am at a loss. As this is a Steam issue though, rather than a NS2 issue, have you tried looking for help at the steam forums?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Have you tried disabling steam at startup, restarting your computer, and deleting ns2 from your computer?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it possible to uninstall steam?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Nordic uninstall Steam?????!!!! Are you mad.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well reinstall of course. It sounds like an issue with steam. Why not uninstall and reinstall to try and fix it. It would be quicker than troubleshooting to find exactly what it was.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Is there a small chance someone ELSE is playing on your ns2?
    Did you enable library sharing? is your account hacked? etc
    Is there a small chance someone ELSE is playing on your ns2?
    Did you enable library sharing? is your account hacked? etc

Nahh, if that was the case, my tf2 shit would be long gone. haha.

There has been a development though. Upon exiting NS2 once manually started, sometimes this causes a crash in ns2. And reporting this crash causes my pc to freeze up for an hour or 2. Then i have to do a hard reset.....
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Have you contacted steam support? I truly think its something in steam.
    I mean, if you even restarted your pc there is 0 chance your client is still running.
    OK, well, now I have this exact same issue.

Installed NS2 for the first time in a long time and poof, after playing the game for a bit, I have absolutely no processes related to NS2 running, and yet steam says I am playing NS2.

I am about to do deeper debugging but I thought I should highlight having this issue as well.. As it is odd that the only other time I have ever heard of this was in this thread.
    Well it makes sense it thinks ns2 is still open IF you did not restart. (something with memory not being fully released and all)

But if you restart the only thing I can think of is the cloud upload.