Smurfing

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited June 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
I would post some kind of argument here... but I'm just REALLL curious to hear ANYBODY justify this. Who are these losers who have to pretend they're rookies, or <100 hours??

Comments

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @BeigeAlert Do you mean experienced players who use a new account or players who force their name to be green when it shouldn't be?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SupaFred wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert Do you mean experienced players who use a new account or players who force their name to be green when it shouldn't be?

New accounts. Green player names is not always their fault IIRC, especially when a new patch goes out.
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2015
    I made a mod we use to disable non-greenies rookie status, and enable it for newbies.

[Edit]
    All you need to do on other server's to obtain this is to tamper with the play time. Which is only stored in the client as plain text.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I smurfing hate smurfs
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I would post some kind of argument here... but I'm just REALLL curious to hear ANYBODY justify this. Who are these losers who have to pretend they're rookies, or <100 hours??
    Likely people going for a mixture of getting stacked games (during the early time when their hive score is way too low for their actual skill) and reaching ridiculous K:D stats on the hive/ns2stats pages.

The smurfs I see mostly seem to be very serious about their K:D and play 'safe engagements' without taking much risk, and aren't embarassed to use that very same number as the base for any argument ("check kd & stfu, noob").
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

They're certainly not on those forums.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There has been an unusual amount of smurfs popping up these past few months, its disappointing people only care about KDR, suppose you'll encounter COD fans no matter what game you play lol
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    NoM wrote: »
    I made a mod we use to disable non-greenies rookie status, and enable it for newbies.

[Edit]
    All you need to do on other server's to obtain this is to tamper with the play time. Which is only stored in the client as plain text.
    If that comes with no disadvantage, it needs to be in 275.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2015
    Is it just me or should smurfers be blue instead of green...

smurfing smurf, it makes no smurfing sense!
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I don't really see much of a problem with this in NS2. Maybe you could try to stack teams in a captains server or something, but they end up stacked so often anyway that I really fail to see the point.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Maybe smurf accounts are for teh h4x. But really.. who h4x these days?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Encountered one last night. Claimed they knew me too. Spooky. Made me think of The Thing (1982), suddenly MacReady's speech was echoing in my mind: "This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open."
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

Why would you want to find justification for "Dumb" ? And obviously people who have a "size problem".

What annoys me most is : It is the sign of a dying game. When some peasants do all they can to ruin the fun for everybody, it's time to think about player base and future.

Why would you want to find justification for "Dumb" ? And obviously people who have a "size problem".

What annoys me most is : It is the sign of a dying game. When some peasants do all they can to ruin the fun for everybody, it's time to think about player base and future.

Patience my friend, patience.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    that's for doctors, snooze you lose.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I smurf. Multiple reasons.

Like the green name. Even my primary is green. Let's me make fun puns, and its distinctive in chat.

Secondary account was mainly because I wanted to see where my hive score settled out, because I think the one on my primary is inflated, meh.

I'm the only smurf I've encountered?

And my kd is shit. Probably a 2.

I tend to be hyper aggressive
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im also getting annoyed with all the faking of being rookies.
    Especially when loads of real rookies come in during sales it makes it harder to judge if teams are not complete utter crap.
    amoral wrote: »
    I smurf. Multiple reasons.

Like the green name. Even my primary is green. Let's me make fun puns, and its distinctive in chat.

Secondary account was mainly because I wanted to see where my hive score settled out, because I think the one on my primary is inflated, meh.

I'm the only smurf I've encountered?

And my kd is shit. Probably a 2.

I tend to be hyper aggressive
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love to smurf/sandbag. I hate it when players act like they are better than other people and shit on "newbs". So I teach them a lesson.

Most of the vitriol against smurfers comes from matchmaking games like Counterstrike or Dota, where it is actually harmful because you're farming newbies rather than playing in a pub server. NS2 is primarily pub servers, so full speed ahead, I say.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love to smurf/sandbag. I hate it when players act like they are better than other people and shit on "newbs". So I teach them a lesson.

Most of the vitriol against smurfers comes from matchmaking games like Counterstrike or Dota, where it is actually harmful because you're farming newbies rather than playing in a pub server. NS2 is primarily pub servers, so full speed ahead, I say.

Whhaaaat... ?
    Unbalanced teams is not a big deal in NS2?
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members

And what exactly is the lesson you teach them? That someone with more experience pretending to be a new player, is able to beat them?

Clearly you haven't thought this through properly.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    What Gaben thinks of smurfs
    maxresdefault.jpg

And what exactly is the lesson you teach them? That someone with more experience pretending to be a new player, is able to beat them?

Clearly you haven't thought this through properly.

i think the lesson is, don't automatically assume that green name isn't a player with a 1000+ hours. gotta always check the hive stats first.

i mean, they're not going to be super accurate, but at least they'll give an indication.
    Server admins can use the mod Rookie Fix to prevent experienced players from using a green name. NoM/Fluffy was kind enough to fix it this weekend. It sets the name to green if a player has between level 0 and 2 on the Hive. To reach level 3 requires a total score of 7500 which equals about 15-20 hours of playtime on average.

bleh. that's dissappointing. my names been green so long, that if i type and it isn't green in NS2... it like truly disturbs me, aesthestically.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Server admins can use the mod Rookie Fix to prevent experienced players from using a green name. NoM/Fluffy was kind enough to fix it this weekend. It sets the name to green if a player has between level 0 and 2 on the Hive. To reach level 3 requires a total score of 7500 which equals about 15-20 hours of playtime on average.

bleh. that's dissappointing. my names been green so long, that if i type and it isn't green in NS2... it like truly disturbs me, aesthestically.

Name things we should be able to pay for
    mattji104 wrote: »

Name things we should be able to pay for

i'd be willing to pay some money to keep my name beautifully green. or any other color i want.

if that's what you're asking. probably something like a fiver... as long as it goes to the "ns3 fund" so to speak...

not... subnautica.... though i own it.

anyway, i like my name like i like my coffee, without accouterments.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

So take the time to change you config so it's constantly green, nothing like the normal accouterments-free white name?

riiiiiiiiiiight.
    2cough wrote: »

So take the time to change you config so it's constantly green, nothing like the normal accouterments-free white name?

riiiiiiiiiiight.

:) meant badges but i see where that might be a bit contradictory.

and not white, white blue or orange.

green and yellow is simple in comparison.