The game won't even start...

L3gionTML3gionTM idk Join Date: 2014-02-25 Member: 194353Members
Hi. I'm having a problem since today morning as the game won't even start, only my steam status gets changed for in-game. Basically it happened the very same day I installed BF4, from what I know, it may have installed me DirectX.
Already tried:
- Game reinstall
- Appdata NS2 Folder delete
- Verifying game cache
- Deleting NS2 Shaders folder
- Reinstalling DirectX
- Computer Restart

Seems like I can't reinstall DirectX using the one from game folder and the one from microsoft website as I already have New/Newer than. Is there any way to fix this?

* not a fault of my antivirus

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2015
    Hi, welcome to the NS2 tech support.

Could you follow the steps given here and provide us with your tech_support.zip.

This will help us to get an insight of what exactly is going on at your side.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2015
    L3gionTM wrote: »

Did you try to start NS2 before creating the tech_report because it doesn't contain any log from ns2 itself. The steam logs and dxdiag look fine so far.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have you updated your graphics drivers to the latest version? I'd start with that first.
  • L3gionTML3gionTM idk Join Date: 2014-02-25 Member: 194353Members
    edited June 2015
    I already launched the game... At least clicked the play button. The game itself doesn't even launch. There is only "Preparing to launch" and my status is changing.

@Yojimbo Yes, I played it yesterday morning, all my drivers are updated with Driver Booster Pro.

e: these people has the same problem;
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/110504/game-wont-start-from-steam-menu
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846958001150976812/

e2: Good news, found the solution, changing compatibility mode to Windows 7 fixed the problem.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad you sorted it, umm why would you use a 3rd party program like that to update your graphics card with, whats wrong with amd / nvidia websites lol, only saying this as anything with booster, optimizer, enhancer in its name generally does the complete opposite and can be harmful to your computer.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Glad you sorted it, umm why would you use a 3rd party program like that to update your graphics card with, whats wrong with amd / nvidia websites lol, only saying this as anything with booster, optimizer, enhancer in its name generally does the complete opposite and can be harmful to your computer.

Never never EVER update your graphics drivers with ANY program other than those provided by nvidia or ati... and even then be careful. Once let Nvidia Experience update my graphics drivers for me... it lost all it's "doing shit on my computer" privileges that day. Never again.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Never never EVER update your graphics drivers with ANY program other than those provided by nvidia or ati... and even then be careful. Once let Nvidia Experience update my graphics drivers for me... it lost all it's "doing shit on my computer" privileges that day. Never again.

That's wierd? what error did it throw up, my nvidia experience screwed up my shadowplay settings, it was all grayed out, I managed to solve it by doing a clean installation of my graphics driver again!