new forum version without BB code is horrible

conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
I'd like to take 2 minutes for a major complaint here: it seems the forums were changed a few days ago, and the new version SUCKS.
It no longer has BB code.
Instead it uses some sort of web based edit box.
For people like me who write detailed, comprehensive posts, this is a major step BACKWARD.

Issues:

• Switching to the code rather than the WYSIWYG interface displays a wall of code with no indentation and no format. It's raw HTML, without access to the list of CSS class, basically making this feature both useless and offensive. 
  • Any formatting now HAS to be done using the formatting bar at the top of the box.  As soon as you write more than one screen, you are have to do an acrobatic dance to move up and down.  Select text at your cursor, way down the page. Then scroll up, loosing sight of selected text. Select option in formatting bar, not seeing the result since it's out of bound.  Then scroll back down to see the result. Rince and repeat, at nauseum.
  • Impossible to leave a bullet list by simply adding spaces or clicking outside the list when editing in WYSIWIG mode
  • Quoting someone else is a pain now, as you need to "find" the spot where to put your cursor in order to be "inside" the area for you but outside the area that is quoted
  • Multi-quoting someone becomes almost impossible, unless you start playing in the ugly html code (see above)

In terms of usability it's one of the worst user interface I have ever seen.
Can we have our BB forums back?

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yes replying on my phone is nearly impossible right now. I click in the text box to type... and it takes me to the top of the screen. Every damn time. Multi-quoting is a thing of nightmares now. 
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    All new topics (not posts) will revert back to using bbcode. Sadly I don't see any way to fix old topics :/
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I found a few utilities for that:
    http://www.garyshood.com/htmltobb/
    and
    http://skeena.net/htmltobb/

It works really well, but the problem is now I'd have to recreate a new topic. Any way I could keep the same thread active and just convert it to bb code?
    I was building a megathread, it has links to several dozen other posts.

PS: Thank you a million time for reverting to the BB code version, even if we are stuck with the topics created before
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Sadly not. The forum converted all old posts to the new format and I can't covert them back. It's not like some simple website converter is going to do it. I might poke the forum company to see if they can, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that :(
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2015
    So, why the conversion to html bb-codeless, if i may ask?
    It would stand to reason that if all the posts were converted from bb to html, the reverse may be true...
    New editor was supposed to be better. It was not and the forum company has no option available to just roll all the posts back.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    So, why the conversion to html bb-codeless, if i may ask?
    It would stand to reason that if all the posts were converted from bb to html, the reverse may be true...

The options of the bbcode editor are really limited and annoying. Like there are very little format options (try to format a image correctly)

The html editor had a few more options and was a bit more handy to use (still i prefer MD over both).

Sadly most of the forums functions broke somewhat with the change.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I can't link to my maps like I used to. Or I just can't find the right option or code. I had a colored mapname that was linked to the forum page. Now all I get is a blue link. I can see the whole link. This is not very astethic and as mentioned above, a few steps backward.

Do I miss something? Is there a description of the editor's functions or a list of useable codes?

Writing a post and editing it in a wall of code was horrible. Now the wall of text is gone, but I can't edit map links. I can't change the link or the color of a word etc. That way I can't for example maintain my map remake thread. :'(

Are there any news on the editor?
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Look at my signature, it looks horrible :persevere: