Mod API and Procedurally generated world

CustomGraphixCustomGraphix UK Join Date: 2015-05-29 Member: 205002Members

1st off i just wanted to say i am loving the game, its a very chill and relaxing game to play.

I know the game is still in early stages and seeing all the hard work the devs are doing is making me want to support this game even more!

1st thing i was wondering about is procedurally generated worlds, as of now the "world" is a bit small (yes i know its early in the life) and i am not expecting a massive world so early in the games life, however i feel this would be a great direction to go in, more randomized worlds, more enjoyable exploring etc.

The next is mod support, i think this game would really benefit from a mod api for creators to make content for the game, it would expand the game and extend its life.

Just a few ideas i think would be a great addition to the game which is already looking amazing!

Keep up the great work guys!

Thoughts?

Comments

• HexaphobiaHexaphobia Oregon Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204694Members
    Devs have already decided against Procedurally generated world. They are wanting a more "hand crafted" experience. Also As UnknownWorlds has been pretty open about modding with NS2 I dont see why they would change directions with Subnautica.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Yea, full procedural generation is hard in games, especially with subnautica's terrain style. As for modding, I really hope for this, as it will massively improve the game. Mods are good to give players things that do not really belong in the main game. Devs don't want weapons? Ok, I can get a mod for it. Or maby I would like to cruise around the seas in a WWII German U boat: then someone can mod it in.
  • KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    I'd put my voice forward as an advocate for mods. I've said it in other places in this forum but Mods are what makes or breaks a game. A lot of the "great" games we have hanging around today, games like minecraft, fallout, skyrim etc. Are still relevant due in part to their modding communities. Heck Command and Conquer generals came out 10 years ago, it's still a thing today purely because of the modding communities.

The other good point is as @sayerulz said, the devs would not have to add things into the game that they did not want to, they could tailor their game however they like, and then let the player tailor it to his own specifications as well.