SN Game Modes Feedback (Especially related to Hardcore)

En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
If it is something you feel strongly about (One way or the other), please give Charlie good feedback on this topic here https://trello.com/c/bwfJGqnp/262-make-hardcore-mode-nastier-but-add-in-randomlized-cool-loot

Pasting my comment from the Trello...

Hardcore doesn't have to be nastier in terms of tweaked creature agression, hunger and thirst rates, etc...it just has to be the highest level mode in terms of challenge. Including:
  • Permadeath. Caution, thinking ahead, and diligent excursion prep matter most here.
  • Nitrogen (or any diving related constraints that make it the hardest mode in terms of "realism" levels..that being subjective as well given we're on an alien world though.)
  • Starting loot logic (imo) should be as follows...

Freedom Mode - Throw in the randomized good stuff early here (seaglide, compass, flashlight, tanks, fins) it's freedom mode after all. Anything that doesn't break research logic

Survival Mode - Only things logical to an escape pod. (Nutrient bars, bottled water, an extra medkit, knife, flares) Anything beyond that breaks logic and detracts from the reward of discovery imo.

Hardcore Mode - NOTHING, it is hard core ... maximum challenge and thrill of discovery.

Extra thoughts.. Resources & creature loot (stalker tooth), anything you would only logically have by first exploring the world, should NEVER be included in starting loot for survival modes. Who on earth packs gold, diamonds, and chunks of titanium onto an escape pod just in case?!

Also. If you didn't like the more purist logic on starting loot I laid out, what about just shifting it all forward one? So HC becomes Survival as detailed above. Then you could just go crazy in Freedom mode if you wanted, even breaking research gating logic for the sake of maximum fun, right out of the starting gate.

Thanks Charlie for putting this back in brainstorm and letting us share our opinions on it. I really feel strongly about giving players a more logical and purist feel in regards to survival...at least and especially for Hardcore.

Comments

• sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I would like to also see a...
    Demo Mode

This would be a more kid-friendly mode, with the following restrictions:
    - Limits exploration area to safe shallows
    - Makes resources more plentiful, including those that would normally be found in other areas
    - No exposure to "very dangerous" creatures
    - No ship explosion
    - No loss of resources on death
  • reaperLeviathenfoodreaperLeviathenfood florida Join Date: 2015-05-19 Member: 204681Members
    Huh I like it, getting progressively more real on difficulty. I will say (i died a few times on hardcore) it was fun at first spawn running over to see what goodies i DID find. Also I hated finding the diving reel, i kinda just stared it down... Anywho most of the time it was just fun and didn't impact my strategy too much unless it was a computer chip which saved a trip to the flats for silver
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    @En9a9e see my thread on survival, decompression and fatigue. Could fit perfectly in hardcore. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137710/survival-dealing-with-decompression-and-fatigue
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    When you reward the player with randomized starting loot that contains stuff they normally wouldn't get unless putting in the crafting effort, for some players you encourage the idea of simply starting new games over and over until they get what they want.

Also, finding the resource out in the world for the first time and then realizing that what you just found will help you make that cool thing on the menu you were wondering about ( what is that?! what does it do? ... or maybe it's an item you recognize and really want for its usefulness) is way more logical and rewarding than having the resource handed to you from the get go in a storage bin.

@conscioussoul cool, will check it out
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2015
    (repost from subnautica design)

I think the problem is that we are not looking at the right thing to "punish". When you are dead, you start over, and if you are not in hardcore, the best we do (loosing all your item and starting naked) just ends up being frustrating.

I'd much rather see the punishing aspect be incremental. i.e, if I am dehydrated, i start having hallucinations (like when you get mad in don't starve). When you get famished, you have less energy, you swim slower, drive erratically, consume more oxygen, can't carry large piece of metal anymore, etc. These effect start at, say, 20% of your status bar, and they last a long time (ie, losing the last few % of each bar takes much longer).

you won't die of hunger before 4-5 days, and won't die of dehydration before 1-2 days, but you will FEEL the effect sooner and these effect will last for quite a while before you die. So in effect you will have a strong incentive to STAY well fed and well hydrated all the time.