We Must Go Deeper!

Simking124Simking124 Canada Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204542Members
So, How deep are we thinking is too deep at this point? Even with super advanced rebreather units the basement on diving would cap out fairly fast simply because of crush effects. Are we considering old school sci-fi mechanics like in the Abyss? (Oxygenated water breathing.) I dont know what physics says about this ridiculous idea, but could future science offer any other ideas to reach extreme depths? Seeing as the current deep dive record sits at a little over 1000 feet without crazy (and extremely restrictive) hardware required. Just curious as to everyones ideas about crush depth.

Comments

• corundcorund Siberia Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203372Members
    I think UWE should do depths step by step. At first i prefer to see 0-200 meters depth with great variety of creatures and plants.
  • NukesnipeNukesnipe United States Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204370Members
    Well, I personally have dived down to about 3000 meters at the edge of an even deeper hole (which would've been endless until my game had a seizure, since nothing generates past that). Furthermore, I agree with Corund. I'd like to see more variety with what they have right now, rather than a bunch of half baked ideas. Quality over quantity, after all.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The problem with most of the cave systems is they are very hard to navigate, causing the player to get lost and give up. Once you get out, you are so glad you made it that you think twice next time you see a deep cavern. While I agree this "feeling" is very immersive and adds to the game experience, there needs to be something beckoning the player back in.

Issues that need to be addressed:
    - 1. Too dark. Even the "lit up" areas are dark, making it hard to see where you are
    - 2. Too winding. Thinking in winding 3D mazes is very difficult. There needs to be a better way to navigate them.
    - 3. Too small. Most cave areas are mostly no bigger than a large room in a house, and often just wide enough for the seamoth.
    - 4. Too little loot. Most loot found in caves can be found elsewhere. Why venture into a confusing area to get something you know you can get elsewhere with less effort?

Possible solutions:
    - Different/enhanced vision mode for exploring caves late-game
    - Navigation feedback, allowing the player to see where they have explored
    - Make some deeper areas VERY lit up (as if you were just below the surface)
    - Build huge caverns the size of stadiums that you can actually see more than a few feet in. These are much more inviting than a small hole.
    - Make unique loot items that are only found in caves.

It's my understanding the lava area will attempt to address some of this. So, I'm looking forward to future releases.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    One easy fix for "unlimited" depth with nothingness: make it so that past any specific depth (say, 3000m) the pressure will ALWAYS breach and then crush the swimer and/or the equipment.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    One easy fix for "unlimited" depth with nothingness: make it so that past any specific depth (say, 3000m) the pressure will ALWAYS breach and then crush the swimer and/or the equipment.

Eventually there should be game play down to 6,000 m - perhaps even 1,0000 m (the approximate depth of the Mariana Trench).
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    edited June 2015
    @TotallyLemon Yeah, it would be cool be able to go that deep. But it might be too much work for devs to create so much different content for different depth levels. It's OK to have less depth to explore, if there's lots of things to do otherwise. But I really hope 10k+ happens.

EDIT: I think the only way to move around in those depths would be exosuit or other highly reinforced vehicles. No swimming or normal subs. There would have to be a harvesting hand on the exosuit.