Bad Ping when running Natural Selection 2 (SOLVED!)

AlexFiliAlexFili Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169039Members
edited May 2015 in Technical Support
Edit: Managed to fix it, thanks for all your help!

I recently reinstalled Natural Selection 2 on an SSD drive. While other online games seem fine, Natural Selection 2 continually gives me bad ping and frequently I am unable to find any games in the server browser. This never happened to me before and in terms of the computer itself and my router, nothing has changed. I would appreciate if anyone has any advice. I tried reinstalling, verifying the cache and disabling all the mods but nothing so far has helped.

kfwjyf9ad6to.png

Computer information:
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit (latest updates installed)
Intel Core i5-4430 3Ghz (4CPUs)
8192MB RAM
Direct X 11
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (1GB)
120GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Router: BT Hub 5
Internet speed: 10-12Meg

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't imagine installing NS2 on an SSD would make a difference to the server browser?

Are you connected wired or wireless?

Can you go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and share your results for us please :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Its usually worth doing a full nuke of ns2 just to be sure (steams verify cache only does so much)
  • AlexFiliAlexFili Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169039Members
    Thanks for the advice I'll do that. I'm using a wireless connection.

Speed test results: 42ms ping, 11.91 Mbps download, 18.10Mbps upload
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahhh you maybe getting interference as you are wireless, well your ping isn't too bad to say the least, best way to rule this out is to hardwire your internet, plug an RJ45 ethernet cable from your computer to your router if you can please then open your server browser and see if there is any difference, let us know how you get on
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've never had to switch to cabled gaming before but I can try that sometime. So far doing a complete wipe hasn't eliminated the problem (even deleting the whole folders after uninstalling).
    That's why I am keen to determine its a network issue, just because it's never happened before doesn't mean it will never happen lol. Anyhow try @_INTER_ 's suggestion first!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Hah, did you see. TAW server has lowest latency (in this high numbers) and 1 of 2 with official max playercount.. :D
    /shameless advertising. :P

Ok do you have the same in fullscreen because your picture shows windowed mode, and ping go nuts if you are not focussed in the game window. (I suspect because it often idles the process then.)

Obviously doing the ns2 nuke guide & checking both steamcache integrity and windows integrity shall not hurt either. (windows is by command prompt sfc scans.)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Your logs have no other indications I noticed.
    edited May 2015
    I moved my main PC downstairs (which is where the router is located). The first thing I noticed when I moved it closer to the router was that all of a sudden the ping dropped back to the level I had previously. (That is to say, between 50ms and 150ms), When I connected to Wuuza's Playground the gameplay was smoother than ever and I could play perfectly. I didn't even have to plug it into the cable directly to get a solid connection.

The only possible change between then and now is that my network card is in a different slot but I'm not quite sure why this would cause so much lag. Beyond that I could try moving my router... I'll report back if I have any more info. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Edit: The problem is now resolved. Turns out the antennae on my wireless adaptor weren't in the right position. As soon as I adjusted them I was able to get a perfect signal. Once again many thanks for all your help guys!
    Glad this is sorted, in the future you could try out a powerline adapter http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_18?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=powerline adaptors&sprefix=powerline+adaptors,aps,160

I use them at my home, kills the need for cables and more reliable than wireless, it works by sending your internet signal through your power sockets in your home, this works best if it's all on one circuit.

Connect your router to one power adapter then connect one power adapter to your computer, then all you do is "pair" the devices then voila, instant internet connection!

Just make sure you live on a stable power grid or not prone to power surges and you should be fine lol
  • OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members