Stacking?

YellowFlyYellowFly Inside my room Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204213Members
Just wondering if there is any plans of making items stack-able in the future? I adore the game, but it is a bit annoying when my inventory is full of the same thing. Just a question! I'm sure plenty people have wondered/asked the same thing, so sorry if this has already spammed the discussion board :#

Comments

• tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Inventory definitely feels a bit on the small side. Only takes a couple of minutes of collecting scrap metal before you have to head back and dump it somewhere. Back in the early (earlier...) days of Subnautica, metal was much much rarer, and it got pretty ingrained in you to pick up every last piece you could find. Now... I don't know what to do with it all! :D
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Inventory definitely feels a bit on the small side. Only takes a couple of minutes of collecting scrap metal before you have to head back and dump it somewhere. Back in the early (earlier...) days of Subnautica, metal was much much rarer, and it got pretty ingrained in you to pick up every last piece you could find. Now... I don't know what to do with it all! :D

I think for more immerssive ways of gameplay it should be a better approach for us to decide when to be collecting materials and when are we just exploring.

And I know what you mean I have a base with 130 hull and like still have 3 lockers FULL with titanium xD
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    Yeah maybe a stack could be a 99 limit max

That's too overpowered and this should stay as far away from feeling like minecraft as possible.
    I see what you mean, what do you suggest, do we keep it as is, or what should the limit be.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members

ArkStrike wrote: »

That's too overpowered and this should stay as far away from feeling like minecraft as possible.

Why should the devs go out of their way to make it as different from minecraft as possible? Some aspects of minecraft are good, like its extensive modability. They should decide on how the game will be based on what will be fun and what wont, not what other games are doing.
  • CrazyAcekingCrazyAceking New York, NY, 10003 Join Date: 2015-05-09 Member: 204307Members
    best improvement they can make so far. and since when is stackable items a minecraft only thing?
  • JoolJool Join Date: 2015-04-26 Member: 203846Members
    edited May 2015
    I personally think that stacking is unrealistic, at least for any items larger than one inventory space. Like, seriously, I find it incredible that the character can carry more than three scrap metal at a time anyway. I doubt he would even be able to move with a sack full of titanium on his back. If stacking is introduced, I think it should only be for small items, and be extremely limited. Such as maybe five items.
    I agree that you should not be able to carry a huge amount of scrap metal, but on the other hand, you should be able to carry a lot of creepvine and mushrooms, so different items should stack to different amounts.
  • LawsenLawsen United States of America Join Date: 2015-03-29 Member: 202719Members
    In a way, the limited inventory space makes you selectively choose what you want to collect as well as making it more feasible since seeing how big the scrap pieces are, you shouldn't be able to carry around a whole bunch of materials.

Also, as far as making the game more minecraft like, I disagree. Minecraft is more open ended in depending on what you want to do. I'm not saying that it isn't possible the game can become something of the sort, though currently in its early access state, that type of resource collection would make the game too easy. There is a certain challenge, risk, and thrill of having to make multiple trips collecting resources in order to continue to survive. Adding more inventory space would make the game lose that sense, which I find very engaging. Just my thoughts.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    also add trunk to sea moth
    I see what you mean, what do you suggest, do we keep it as is, or what should the limit be.

This game as a pinch of realism and at the same time not, I didn't mean that stacking was a bad idea but at least a more reasonable quantity per stack would be less game breaking.

The limit should be based on the weight of a material so that not everything stacks.

A single piece of titanium is big so it shouldn't stack yet a piece of salt is small and lightweight so maybe a stack of 4 is ideal.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    ArkStrike wrote: »

Why should the devs go out of their way to make it as different from minecraft as possible? Some aspects of minecraft are good, like its extensive modability. They should decide on how the game will be based on what will be fun and what wont, not what other games are doing.

My comment isn't a solid one just that for a really long while this game is called "Minecraft underwater" which kinda annoys me but you are right since then we could say the next call of duty is just "battlefield with different guns".

I do agree that the extensive modability of minecraft IS something subnautica could try to achieve but I believe that goes as far as the community wants it to go.
    best improvement they can make so far. and since when is stackable items a minecraft only thing?

Someone did the math somewhere that in minecraft you can carry your whole inventory with stacks of 64 gold blocks and still walk, run and swim. The approximate weight of that many blocks of gold is equal to the weight of the eiffel tower in your pockets.

Not a minecraft-only thing but we need better regulations and limitations.

I can go out 4 or 5 times collecting titanium and I already have all I need for equipment and a mid-sized base.
    edited May 2015
    How about a space engineers style inventory where the amount of stuff you can carry is based on the weight and volume of items and not item types, so that a piece of seaweed, a small mushroom, a bit of salt, and a holefish dose not take up more inventory than 20 mushrooms, like it might with just minecraft-style stacks? I don't know that much about coding though, so that might be hard to implement.
  • FatFrogFatFrog Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204388Members
    What about being able to build like some sort of basket sled that we can pull around with us underwater? Something we could attach flashlights or a Sea Glide to. Maybe a few air bladders. Just a more realistic option over stacking items or just expanding the inventory size.
  • JoolJool Join Date: 2015-04-26 Member: 203846Members

sayerulz wrote: »
    How about a space engineers style inventory where the amount of stuff you can carry is based on the weight and volume of items and not item types, so that a piece of seaweed, a small mushroom, a bit of salt, and a holefish dose not take up more inventory than 20 mushrooms, like it might with just minecraft-style stacks? I don't know that much about coding though, so that might be hard to implement.

That would be awesome!
    tarek wrote: »
    also add trunk to sea moth

Maybe an upgrade with a vacuum or mechanical hands to grab stuff and load it in its "trunk"?
  • MethesdaMethesda New Zealand Join Date: 2015-05-13 Member: 204441Members
    edited May 2015
    Comparisons with Minecraft seem a little useless. I really don't see the similarity between the games, that aren't shared with other games in the genre of exploration/crafting. The way they actually play is very different.

To design a good inventory system, we should focus on the purpose of the inventory. The exploration in this game is based on resources management. You have a certain amount of oxygen, health, inventory, speed, etc, and gains in one represent losses in another... a good example is the tanks. They are actually implemented really well... if you grab 4-6 of them, you can have a very relaxing explore with them, and the seamoth, but your ability to pick up stuff you find is seriously gimped...

The ultimate goal is to provide a balance between those resources, and the capacity to explore. If too many players are finding that the inventory management is interfering with satisfying exploration, then the inventory should be tweaked, but doing things like allowing stacking to 99 is would completely break the balance of that system. Exploration becomes less demanding, and therefore less rewarding, and the world losses it's appeal.

Couple that with it being in tune with the use of those resources... i mean suppose you could actually capture several stacks of 99 titanium? What would you do with it?

My personal preference is that the materials are easier to find in the world, but storing them is more challenging, necessitating collection strategies that don't revolve around spending hours trying to find that one thing that you want. Therefore, I stand on the side of a more restrictive inventory.

It may be that all we need is just a few more squares... say an extra row on the inventory, to get that balance just right. Or perhaps there might be other ways of creating some sort of compression in the field, but at a cost in those same resources to balance it out.

PS: I love FatFrogs idea of an underwater 'sled' for carrying. That can add a good layer of extra strategy if implemented right, and is still demanding of the player to manage the resource.

I like to add something along the same lines... an inflatable attached to a basket to dump your inventory and take it to the surface, backed up by a surface craft to move it back to your base before snipping the balloon and letting it sink to the bottom for retrieval at the base.
  • QuantumFlareQuantumFlare Northern Ireland Join Date: 2015-04-30 Member: 203988Members
    edited May 2015
    I really like the current presentation and I'm finding it hard to think of other good ways of organising the items. I've done a quick skeleton of my idea of the PDA on Paint below.

For example, since each unit of scrap metal takes up 4 spaces, 1 unit will have a size value of 4. Given that there are 4 units of scrap metal in the example, the total size value is 16, taking up 16 spaces. 10 units of Peepers means
    (10 units x 1 size = 10 spaces) taken up.

I'm not a big fan of the style myself, but the system would be fine I suppose. If you've got an idea, write it down I guess!

What I find funny is that I thought the cubes were supposed to be the real in-game objects of food, batteries, etc. once put into the PDA (ie. picked up or fabricated).

I thought it was a modern technology that existed where items of a small enough size could be compressed into a cube for storage, kind of like a .zip folder. Then it would be unpacked when needed!

It made sense to me, how the character could fit four large pieces of scrap metal into his personal storage, despite each piece being more than half the size of the player!

.. then I dropped a piece of scrap metal back into the world and realised that he was actually still carrying the full-sized thing the entire time...

There's another image below showing the size comparison between the diver and a single piece of scrap metal. Sorry for the low resolution, but I only have a laptop. Works well though! :P

I removed the HUD using f6 and used the SIZEREF command in the debug console to place a static model of the diver next to the scrap metal for the screenshot. (http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands)

uqzk3ks1nacn.png

676hy5h6swy7.png
  • CortanisCortanis some water world in the middle of space Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203362Members
    How about stacks of ten since the game apparently runs on amounts of ten rather than any other number. 10 titanium = 1 ingot. Just use it as a standard and be done with it.
  • MethesdaMethesda New Zealand Join Date: 2015-05-13 Member: 204441Members
    Cortanis wrote: »
    How about stacks of ten since the game apparently runs on amounts of ten rather than any other number. 10 titanium = 1 ingot. Just use it as a standard and be done with it.

I don't think this is well justified.

Why do you think the game works in 10... Just that one example of the ingot? I think the game works in two, and I'm more right than you because there are many more examples of things needing 2 resources.... This makes no sense, and bears no relation to the purpose of the inventory system as a game mechanic.

What do you think the impact of having stacks of 10 will be to the restrictions on exploration? What is it benefit, and what is its penalty?

Even in the current build I think that stacks of ten essentially makes inventory close to infinite to all intents and purposes. If we're talking about objects like air tanks, you could conceivably carry 50-60 air tanks giving you an hour under the water. At that point what's the purpose of the game world being underwater? It might as well be a low gravity world... And we are just talking about a site-seeing excessive... Well I've got news: site seeing in the real world is more interesting... The game would fall flat.

If we're talking about construction resources... Again, my point... If you can carry basically 200 titanium... Isn't that basically more than you will ever need in one go? That makes the locker and storage cube items irrelevant, and basically disables a whole element of the game... The need for a 'base'.
    Yah 2 seems more reasonable then 99......

Don't understand why i wanted 99 :|
  • CortanisCortanis some water world in the middle of space Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203362Members
    Methesda wrote: »
    Cortanis wrote: »

I don't think this is well justified.

Why do you think the game works in 10... Just that one example of the ingot? I think the game works in two, and I'm more right than you because there are many more examples of things needing 2 resources.... This makes no sense, and bears no relation to the purpose of the inventory system as a game mechanic.

What do you think the impact of having stacks of 10 will be to the restrictions on exploration? What is it benefit, and what is its penalty?

Even in the current build I think that stacks of ten essentially makes inventory close to infinite to all intents and purposes. If we're talking about objects like air tanks, you could conceivably carry 50-60 air tanks giving you an hour under the water. At that point what's the purpose of the game world being underwater? It might as well be a low gravity world... And we are just talking about a site-seeing excessive... Well I've got news: site seeing in the real world is more interesting... The game would fall flat.

If we're talking about construction resources... Again, my point... If you can carry basically 200 titanium... Isn't that basically more than you will ever need in one go? That makes the locker and storage cube items irrelevant, and basically disables a whole element of the game... The need for a 'base'.
    Obviously airtanks an other tools wouldn't stack. Even if you count by two's rather than ten you still arrive at ten. If you think that that would make the inventory op, try putting around in a cyclops with at least 12 lockers in it. It literally has no effect since the player already has the ability to create massive amounts of inventory space in storage.

To point about the air tanks thing as well. Actual air tanks last for MUCH longer as well as you can still cart around the sea moth for an infinite amount of air at your disposal.

As it currently stands, I have bases and lockers full of titanium, silver, gold, and lithium. I've got far more than 200 titanium just stashed with nothing to use for it. Bases at this point don't actually have a use other than simply being storage. Their power systems are nonexistent, anything you would actually need to build in them can be built in the cyclops, and the cyclops has the benefit of being mobile with at least 3x the power capacity.
  • TheDoctor62442TheDoctor62442 Australia Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204485Members
    The only things that should be stacked should be the small resources like titanium and lithium,and even then the maximum size you can stack should be something small like 10 or even 5.And if the devs dont want to put in a stack system maybe they could make the inventory bigger by adding a craft-able bag.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    Craftable bags could work. But I'd say item stacking is definitely a bad idea. I think it's good that you have to do some work to get the materials. Even with the current system I get way too much raw materials, since there isn't any constant need for those.
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    I'd rather see stacks of 10 but only for resources. If other things like tanks don't stack, it cancels out the massive air supply aspect. Scrap metal is the biggest problem since it takes up such a large space in your inventory, you only need to gather 4 or 5 pieces and you've filled your inventory. If you have to make several ingots, gathering enough titanium to do it gets really tedious when you have to keep coming back to process the scrap. Take a spare tank, a stasis rifle, knife and scooter and you can pick up only 2 bits of scrap before your inventory is full. What's the point in having a spare tank if you're not going to be out long enough to need it? I have often gone out foraging without any extra tanks and never run out of air before filling the inventory, the only reason I made the extra tank at all is for the achievement but it's been in a locker ever since.
    edited May 2015
    Tryst wrote: »
    I'd rather see stacks of 10 but only for resources. If other things like tanks don't stack, it cancels out the massive air supply aspect. Scrap metal is the biggest problem since it takes up such a large space in your inventory, you only need to gather 4 or 5 pieces and you've filled your inventory. If you have to make several ingots, gathering enough titanium to do it gets really tedious when you have to keep coming back to process the scrap. Take a spare tank, a stasis rifle, knife and scooter and you can pick up only 2 bits of scrap before your inventory is full. What's the point in having a spare tank if you're not going to be out long enough to need it? I have often gone out foraging without any extra tanks and never run out of air before filling the inventory, the only reason I made the extra tank at all is for the achievement but it's been in a locker ever since.

Seriously, stack of 10 for anything would be waaaayyy too much. You could carry all the titanium you would ever need in under 2 invs. And you are supposed to do some hard work for your machines. I think that the game is currently even little bit too easy (craftingwise). Most of the time I've had the stasis rifle, Seaglide and 2 tanks on me, and while inv space update like extra bags would be awesome, I never thought that more space or stacking would be necessary. After I got a Cyclops and some lockers, it didn't bother me at all anymore. Currently if you want a slightly challenging experience, you'll go for survival, but if you just want to build a lot Minecraft-style, just go to experimental with NOCOST cheat on. I think free building could even become a new game mode in the future.
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    It really depends on how much of the resources are required for the new base additions that are coming. I would suggest that the simple stuff we have now should remain cheap to make but the more lavish parts of the base should be very resource hungry.

Failing that, a two part inventory so that equipment is not part of your normal inventory. I really can't see how a spare air tank need to be in the inventory at all, it's strapped to your back so you don't even have to carry it physically like the rest of the stuff. I can understand the rifle, the knife and the scooter since they need to be carried somewhere when not in use.

Even so, some stacking would be handy. Even if you can turn it on and off from the options for a more hardcore game if you want it.
    @Tryst I read about an air tank mechanics upgrade on Trello. If I understood it correctly, it would go like this:
    The first tank you have will go into a 'tank slot'. All the extra ones will be in your normal inv. When the first tank is empty, it is swapped with a full one in the inv. Kinda makes more sense like that.