Initial impressions and thoughts

itchyeyesitchyeyes US Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202669Members
After seeing the recent game update with the base expansion, I went on a bit of a binge watching Let's Play videos on Youtube and finally decided to try the game myself (despite the fact that it just barely runs an min settings on my machine). Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about the directions this game is heading, and it seems like it's got a ton of potential. After working my way through most of the available content, I thought I'd write up some of my initial thoughts and impressions.

I know it's only just been implemented, but the base building already seems to me like it's one of the driving motivators in the game. I love the art design on it now, and I really hope that the team continues to develop new and interesting ways to design and expand your base. It was pretty cool building the Seamoth and Cyclops, but the customizable nature of the bases makes it seem like there's a lot more there to explore and personalize than with the vehicles.

I know that there are all glass rooms, and a seamoth docking pool in the works right now, but I had some other ideas for base additions that I thought would be cool. A map room with a big holographic map of the game world would be pretty awesome (not to mention useful). You could couple it with a scanner that you would need to take with you and scan in sections of the map. It would make for a cool representation of your progress in exploring the game.

I feel like some sort of farm or food production is definitely needed as well. I initially wanted to play the game on survival, but it doesn't seem polished enough yet to be enjoyable. Constantly hunting for salt quickly became a grind. A more long term solution, like a farm, is definitely needed.

One thing I love about the base, is how clear the lit up windows are from a distance amidst the murk of the deep ocean. Exterior lights would be a cool way of enhancing that impact, and making returning to your base feel especially rewarding.

One thing I noticed about the bases that those who started playing before they were put in might not have, is that they have a bit of an anchoring effect on the way you think about the world in the early game. Right now your first base is pretty cheap to put down, and it's easy to get before you have even a sea glide or sea moth. So once I put it down, I somewhat restricted myself to a specific radius around it. I'm not sure if that was a positive or negative impact on the game, just an observation.

Anyways, those are my initial thoughts. Love the game. Love the atmosphere. Love the art design. Really excited for all the potential here.

Comments

• StackdaddyStackdaddy California, U.S.A Join Date: 2013-10-08 Member: 188640Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    You actually don't even need salt to get by in survival mode (except the 3 needed for magnesium in order to make your welder), you can make do with just eating acid mushrooms + creepvines early game, and spadefish from grassy plateaus in the later game (a quick suggestion is to not eat the mushrooms + creepvines around your potential base locations, as it takes away from the aesthetics of the location, unless you don't care about that sort of thing). For water all you need are some bladderfish and you are good to go. Also, investing in a grav-sphere to put in the grassy plateau biome saves you a lot of time in hunting down the spadefish, and since they provide 16 food with no water penalty raw, they are arguably the best bang for your buck.

As for the whole anchoring yourself down when you make your first base, I feel that this isn't the case. During my initial exploration for a new game, I make a few beacons to plop down at potential base sites/areas of interest/resource heavy areas. I try to find at least one area that is open enough to maneuver a cyclops around, with at least 3 other 'mini-base' locations. I treat these mini-bases as locations to stash all the salvage while I'm away from my main base. These bases tend to be minimalist in nature, with nothing more than a couple lockers and a fabricator (for nothing more than breaking down materials and combining them to free up space).

Of course the mini-bases can always be expanded upon once you have enough free materials sitting around.