The 10 to 5

En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
A thread meant for more broad (Game wide), yet concise, praise and criticism... based mainly on things already in the game (Not wish list focused). Feel free to comment on my list and/or leave your own list of greater or lesser numbers.

The Positive 10

1) Biome variety and beauty (vegetation, formations, and layout), great job to all involved there, looking forward to more!

2) Variety in emotion and curiosity invoking elements of the setting, creatures, and environments...tranquility, mystery, wonder, awe, caution, anxiety, fear. Keep these in a good mix without over doing one aspect across the world.

3) Cave systems of various sizes, I love that there is a whole other unique level of exploration on top of an already expansive world to investigate

4) Scale-able bases. Really like that you can either build a small outpost, a large base, or anything in-between - on most any place in the world! The look and feel of the existing corridor options is great! Very excited that it sounds like domed and stackable rooms are on the horizon adding a greater sense of function, permanence, and shape/form.

5) Overall creature variety, design, passive to dangerous types, animation (though turning tweaks on some might still be considered), and early stage ecosystem roles.

6) Overall look and art style of the subs. Being able to dock your seamoth in the Cyclops. Cyclops as a mobile outpost. Awesome.

7) Game mode options ... freedom, survival, hardcore (also like that currently hardcore is just about perma death and not a bunch of crazy -often silly- tweaks that make creatures more aggresive or hunger level drain quicker, etc)

8) Terraforming voxel terrain. Looks good and really enhances creativity and customization options for players.

9) Sound effects and music. Nicely done and integrated thus far.

10) Trello boards, Hipchat with devs, Open playtests with devs, regular dev interaction on steam and official forums. You guys rock in creating a more transparent, player involved, development process that we can enjoy being a part of and giving feedback in.

The Negative 5

1) Sub steering columns - I want to see more of what's beneath me for better navigation and appreciation of the beautifully crafted environments I travel over.

2) Crafting tedium - batch crafting of food and resources please! Or at least leave the menu open, instead of closing after each item completion.

3) Freebies in storage on game start - having resources that you could only get from gathering beforehand especially (Not logical). Take out of HC at least please.

4) Crash fish - Doesn't make sense that a non hive creature would suicide just because it's plant nest was threatened (Use crash spores instead)

5) Honestly it's hard coming up with a 5th as it only gets nitpicky at this point for me (a testament to how well this game is coming along even in early access)
For no. 5 I would go with being unable to stack very small items like salt and crash meal -or- hunger level depleting before thirst level (seems counterintuitive) with both possibly needing a small nudge towards lasting longer yet again (particularly hunger).

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Crash fish make perfect sense, we just don't have an explanation from the lore and therefore don't think they me make sense ;)

Give the analyzing tools they put in a chance
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2015
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Crash fish make perfect sense, we just don't have an explanation from the lore and therefore don't think they me make sense ;)

Well if we don't currently have an explanation, then how do you know they make perfect sense!? ;) Back at ya! :P I will give the analyzer a chance though as recommended. :)
  • Jacob-EllingerJacob-Ellinger Grand Rapids Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202641Members
    "at least leave the menu open, instead of closing after each item completion." The very first thing that I wanted when playing this game. In fact I thought it was odd that it did not do that in the first place.

It would be cool if you could build the builder onto the side of a locker and put a bunch of crap into the locker and then select what you want it to build and how many and then go off and do something else while it makes the stuff. Or just sit there and wait if you need it right away but even then it takes away the tedium of navigating menus over and over.

+1 mate.

The crash meal thing does not bother me because I just assume it's like there is more then one but we only ever see one because it would be unfair to the gamer to be attacked by them all at once.

You could make the homes bigger so that there could be the possibility (visually making sense) that there are more inside. But then it makes it harder to hide them from the gamer and also some of the cave systems are too small at points to place them if much bigger then they are as I think it would be intrusive. Kind of like a sore thumb sticking out.
    I agree though that if they are trying to go for something a bit more logical that it needs work. But just like En9a9e said, it could easily be explain in lore as well. Like perhaps they are actually tiny and a bunch live inside but when they sense a threat, one of them inflates and attacks.

As for the sub thing. Well the addition of upgrades to the sub could be anything. Maybe have cameras you could place anywhere on the outside and when piloting press a key to cycle through them? more glass in the nose could sort of fix this as well but I think it would take away from the look of the sub. Less cyclops-ey and more light bulb-ey if you know what I mean hehe.

"Freebies in storage on game start" I agree that it make completely no sense to give the player actual raw materials found only on the planet but that's about all I got to say about that. It's a game and in the end speaking for myself it does not take away from my own personal immersion. <unintended pun lol.

gg nice suggestions m8

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    En9a9e wrote: »
    Seldkam wrote: »

Well if we don't currently have an explanation, then how do you know they make perfect sense!? ;) Back at ya! :P I will give the analyzer a chance though as recommended. :)

I was exaggerating, but really, this sort of behavior is rather common-- even a human mother would probably fight against someone potentially threatening her children even if she knew it might end in her death-- it amounts pretty much to the same thing
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    It would be cool if you could build the builder onto the side of a locker and put a bunch of crap into the locker and then select what you want it to build and how many and then go off and do something else while it makes the stuff. Or just sit there and wait if you need it right away but even then it takes away the tedium of navigating menus over and over.

A storage fabricator combo where the fabricator draws directly from what you put in the storage part is a pretty doggone cool idea.