Should mods be in Subnautica?

.SuBB.SuBB The Netherlands Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202636Members
I just had the idea of mods in Subnautica same as Gmod or any other mod extented games, It would be nice to see that people make their own sea creatures and make mods, This would give Subnautica loads of variation to subnautica, Do you like this idea or you just hate this idea leave it in the comments down below!
:D

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2015
    @.SuBB Well, this is the Future Perfect forum, i guess you wanted to to post this thread in the Subnautica forum so I'm moving it for you ;)

*Moved*
  • Jacob-EllingerJacob-Ellinger Grand Rapids Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202641Members
    would make the replay value a lot higher. Fan made maps anyone? Fan made stories? The possibilities are endless.
  • .SuBB.SuBB The Netherlands Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202636Members
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    of course.
    Nothing wrong having mods.

Yes some mods can be made to cheat yourself into single player achievements, but I dont see that as a reason to fully stop single player mods.
  • DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    I support the idea of mods but only until AFTER the game is complete.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Mods can keep a game popular far beyond it's release, years after for that matter. Homeworld 2 is a prime example, Minecraft is another one as well.
  • ArbhallArbhall The Earth Join Date: 2015-04-03 Member: 202874Members
    .SuBB wrote: »
    I just had the idea of mods in Subnautica same as Gmod or any other mod extented games, It would be nice to see that people make their own sea creatures and make mods, This would give Subnautica loads of variation to subnautica, Do you like this idea or you just hate this idea leave it in the comments down below!
    :D

Only if they get into bed with Will Wright and cross this game with Spore, so we can get a great variety of beasties added. That would be my only caveet.

Hey DaveyCannon; Take a look at Kerbal Space Program, they made that game open source and the mod community developed with the game. Its not even finished yet and the mods are glorious. Its a freak, KSP is a stand out. The exception not the rule. It worked there, but might not work for subnautica, but I dont see why they shouldnt at least try a little. See what happens. They can turn it over to the community in a couple years anyway, and try again if it dosnt work out.
  • ghostshadowerghostshadower Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206906Members
  • TheJamesehTheJameseh United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-08-04 Member: 206769Members
    I already thought that mods were going to be added later as with a lot of PC games but if they don't plan to yet ADD THEM!!!! They add so many more hours of gameplay onto a game and means that you can implement what you want into the game, THEY'RE AWESOME SO YES!!!
  • BifeclassicoBifeclassico Portugal Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206908Members
    Yeah, having a workshop on steam would be awessome but the thing is some of the workshop items that people create are really bad looking, and that makes me feel whenever I put mods into my games they are kind of waste of memory.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Lots of mods = infinite replayability. I don't even play minecraft, FTL, or space engineers without mods anymore. I just need more things to do than most games offer. I have also started putting mods into ARK, and while so far I have not made it very far into them, I already like that it makes the stone spear not break do often ( ARK players will know thhe struggle).
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    yes I hope so anyways

with mods I will add factions and combat and random creature generator with endless map generator

also will add a hostile alien race that is made from silicone and is hellbent on killing all humans, they will look like the Silicon faction from subtitan (an old strategy game)

list of mods :P:

1-sonic mines
    2-plasma canons
    3-splinter torpedoes
    3-laser canon
    4-battle moth
    5-destroyer class submarine
    6-crusier class submarine
    7-battle ship class submarine
    8-auto fight drones
    9-statis shields
    10-random creature creator (makes stuff that might be added to the game if they look cool)
    11-random map generator (for the area outside the main game map)
    12-the Silicon race:
    a highly advanced war like race of beings that can design living submarines and structures from life seed pods, they have a lot of sea base models and submarine types they will look like a bio/techno race
  • RoadRunner71RoadRunner71 GA, USA Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206911Members
    Yes, mods would be great. But if you allow them please create a sane system to support them (make them easy to install and REMOVE). And please allow for multiple mods at the same time. If it's possible for two mods to have the same item, let us know which one would get precedence (i.e. the one loaded last is the active one or vice versa).

Many thanks to the dev team for a great game.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    skyrim is unplayable without mods.... frankly
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Yes.

But not right now. Or any time soon.

Adding mod support ALWAYS leads to the conclusion of "Oh let the modders fix/add it" especially in early access games.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I'm skeptical that there will ever be modding support for adding/changing lifeforms or structures. However, I am optimistic that there could be some type of scripting mod support - where the mod can spawn (pre-existing) models, deform terrain, adjust game settings, give instructions to the player, and affect player stats based on certain conditions.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    I think there should be mods for things such as bases, weapons/tools, equipment, and vehicles. Like, someone could make a mod that would add a US Navy submarine, or a USSR submarine. Or maybe a seaplane. With mods, Subnautica could be different every day.
  • the_epic_killer_8the_epic_killer_8 Saudi Arabia Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207286Members
    Of course yes. :) i am with you
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    god. i can't wait untill i can mod in a gun and post a screenshot of it.

watching all the people cringe and sqiurm and yell at me for not playing the game right XD
  • TheBeninatorV2TheBeninatorV2 Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205944Members
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    tarek wrote: »
    1-sonic mines

Will they go fast?
  • coolmira12coolmira12 norway Join Date: 2016-08-11 Member: 221199Members
    i think it wood be cool with mods
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Wow, you dug up such a dead topic that I only recognize one person in here.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited August 2016
    Someone by the name of TheJameseh has my profile pic! Also who dug this up from the depths of the forums!?
    Someone by the name of TheJameseh has my profile pic! Also who dug this up from the depths of the forums!?

New guy.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I think that mods would work perfectly. Although, maybe having the devs allow fans to create models and animations than suggesting them to the devs would be a better idea?
  • WaviestBow6WaviestBow6 Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218131Members
    If I were a Modder I would wait till 1.0 I couldn't imagine having to redo a mod when they change a game mechanic
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Well since it's raised from the dead, we might as well add what we think...

Almost any game is better with mods. Or rather: with well-made mods that don't ruin saves and don't crash the game every 10 minutes. I would never log hundreds of hours in Fallout or Skyrim if they didn't have such a talented, friendly, and expansive modding community... and if I didn't do mods for them myself.

Do I personally want mods for Subnautica? Only if they come after 1.0, and at no cost to the original content. If modifying the engine to accept mods is to take the time and resources reserved now for an expansion patch or a DLC... then no tanks, I'd rather not have SN moddable. Especially that, IMHO, the majority of mods for the game will most probably be just guns, bigger guns, and other ways to kill everything that lives.
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Well since it's raised from the dead, we might as well add what we think...

Almost any game is better with mods. Or rather: with well-made mods that don't ruin saves and don't crash the game every 10 minutes. I would never log hundreds of hours in Fallout or Skyrim if they didn't have such a talented, friendly, and expansive modding community... and if I didn't do mods for them myself.

Do I personally want mods for Subnautica? Only if they come after 1.0, and at no cost to the original content. If modifying the engine to accept mods is to take the time and resources reserved now for an expansion patch or a DLC... then no tanks, I'd rather not have SN moddable. Especially that, IMHO, the majority of mods for the game will most probably be just guns, bigger guns, and other ways to kill everything that lives.

I cannot agree more. I myself think this game would be much better off without mods, because any modding website would be flooded with weaponry and other ways to completely ruin the point of the game. It would be nearly impossible to find anything else.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Subnautica and Battle Brothers are literally the only games I play at the moment without mods.

I already fully intend to find a way to create a hardcore realism mod for Subnautica based on what we've been talking about in various threads for months now. Official mod support or not.