New player seeking advice

KonfKonf Australia Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202633Members
Hi guys!

So I've been wandering around and found this game on Steam. I liked it instantly and dived into learning more about it (pun intended). I'm new to this game and I'm really keen on picking it up as it seems like a lot of fun.

However, there is a couple of things I wanted to find out before I do get the game.

Subnautica is in Early Access. I'm not entirely sure when it’s scheduled to be finished, but it seems like there is a whole lot of content to be released in the future. I don’t mind supporting games undergoing development, in fact I actively take part in some beta tests. But with this genre (which I'm completely new to) – I can’t help but think whether I should wait until its finished or just go for it now.

So my questions are:

1. What are your impressions? In your opinion, will it be fun playing the game as a finished product if you have actually already played all of its elements during the development phase? I really want to get into this game, but I can’t decide whether I should wait until all the features are released to play it in its full glory. So what do you think?

2. I've seen some forum posts basically saying “Now what?”. So, how much content is there? I mean, how long do you play this game for before you get to the point where you’re “stuck”? Is there really a massive open world to explore and to tame?

I'm sorry for flooding the forums with this seemingly useless thread, I'm new here and don’t really know if similar discussions happened in the past and if my questions were already asked and answered. If that is the case – sorry for repetition and I’d appreciate if you could direct me there.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    First off, the devs are trying to make a new genre, or at least, a new experience for their fanbase and potentially new fans as well. This game isn't meant to be a generic game by any stretch of the imagination

1. The game is the best Early Access out there, by far-- but do not get this game if you expect to get more than 6+ hours out of it atm. I've got 25 hours+, but that's cause I've been playing around and making sure I find out as much there is about the development and as many changes they make as possible. I think you should figure out whether or not you should buy it on your own :P Me and my rudeness~ but seriously, be careful with Early Access. If you want to wait, don't convince yourself you should buy it, and just find a way to distract yourself (if you try to distract yourself, it can be surprisingly easy :P )

2. Read my response to 1, it's basically the same. It depends how much time (and a bit of luck) goes into the exploration aspect. The crafting right now and in previous builds has always been rather easy, so it mostly boils down to exploring and finding things no one else has done (which will only get easier as things get added and tweaked)

Lastly, head over to the wiki if you're curious in general about the game

cheers
  • Toothbrush123Toothbrush123 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-02-11 Member: 201313Members
    1.Like Seldkam said, it is the best early access by far, but don't get it if you're expecting a long playtime. Similar to Seldkam, I have logged quite a few hours in the game, but that's just because I want to try and find everything there is to find.
    One thing, related to the actual purchasing, that I wish I would've done is buy it through the Humble Bundle store. You get a standalone copy, and a steam key, so you get the best of both worlds. I'm actually considering re-purchasing, just for the standalone.

2. Recently today, I posted just that kind of post, and people recommended many things to go and explore. This game has huge potential, and is really really fun to play already, even though it's not finished.

Ultimately, it comes down to whether you want to experience the feeling of the game growing and changing, or just seeing the final, polished game. I would buy it now, thats my recommendation. It's a fantastic game, and the community makes it a million times better.

Anyways, good luck, and hope to see you around the forums.
  • Zoltan_aZoltan_a Belgium Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201609Members
    edited March 2015
    Hi Konf

It's not useless at all don't worry, I have seen threads a lot worst ;)

1. That is really depending of you, do you like to try unfinished game and wait until content is added, or do you want the full experience directly, I'm afraid nobody can answer that for you.

I enjoy much that they are really transparent about what they are working on, I have no idea where they are going but that don't worry me because I like to be surprised also. (I hope they will keep some secrets from us)

2. Nothing massive, don't expect to have much to do at the moment, nonetheless I just have an amazing feeling with what is already present in the game, like a rough diamond taking shape.

I am compelled to dive into it regularly even if at the moment I don't have anything special to do after around 20h played, just waiting for more content now.

• KonfKonf Australia Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202633Members
    Hi guys!

Thanks for all your responses.

Originally I was under the impression that I should be patient and wait until the game is finished, but then the curiosity took over. No matter how short the game might be so far, I've got a gut feeling that I won't have any regrets. I want to try this game for myself, and then come back on major release.

So thanks for helping me make a decision, guess I'll go on exploring :)
  • KonfKonf Australia Join Date: 2015-03-27 Member: 202633Members
    One thing, related to the actual purchasing, that I wish I would've done is buy it through the Humble Bundle store. You get a standalone copy, and a steam key, so you get the best of both worlds. I'm actually considering re-purchasing, just for the standalone.
    However, before I get the game - could you please elaborate on what you mean by standalone purchase? I thought you just get the key through steam and that's it?

Unless by standalone you're referring to the version that is sold through the website? It's slightly more expensive and has some extra content to it or something.

Would greatly appreciate if you could elaborate a little.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I believe what he means is you get the normal game on steam and off of steam but it isn't the fancy special edition I'm quite sure

Correct if wrong
  • Wolf2000Wolf2000 Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202116Members
    I only know of the two versions. steam and special edition on the website. both have the same end effect but the special edition is "special". I personally am not too bothered about it.

and as far as useless treads go. you should check out "my pet reaper Arnold" ;)